Agreed upon signal that OP is a troll?

(109 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

SinclairSpectrum Mon 15-Jun-15 12:00:32

I have been here a while but still get caught out by troll / goudy fucker threads sometimes.
I end up feeling a right tit when the penny drops.
I realise that a thread can be reported and the MNHQ sleuths then get to work but can't we agree on a universal 'heads up' signal to post that suggests all may not be as it seems?

GirlInterupted Mon 15-Jun-15 12:02:29

Yanbu

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Mon 15-Jun-15 12:02:58

Don't you think that might become a "what to avoid" toolkit for trolls?

HellKitty Mon 15-Jun-15 12:03:14

Cheshire Scumbag!

GirlInterupted Mon 15-Jun-15 12:03:37

Post too soon! I was on a thread a few days ago where the troll was pretending to be a teacher. It's frustrating when you can't cl them out

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Mon 15-Jun-15 12:04:37

Sorry misread - you're not looking for a list of warning signs of things trolls do.

The thing with the heads up is that troll hunting is against mn rules so people posting the heads up would get their post deleted.

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Mon 15-Jun-15 12:05:23

Which one was that Girl it rings a bell.

BeenWondering Mon 15-Jun-15 12:05:32

Terrible idea. For a start it's not worth getting so invested and secondly what if this universal sign is used incorrectly. Best to report the thread and get on with other things.

As a side note, I tend to get annoyed by name-changers who declare in their opening posts "I'm regular.. pom bears, penis beaker etc etc" There's no-one at the door checking credentials fgs!

AnyoneForTennis Mon 15-Jun-15 12:09:44

wel li was on a thread recently and everyone was calling troll..HQcame on to say it wasn't a troll. so how would you know for certain?? you wouldn't

things have happened in my life where if I wrote a thread I'm sure people would call troll!! I cant be the only one either

HappenstanceMarmite Mon 15-Jun-15 12:10:24

As a side note, I tend to get annoyed by name-changers who declare in their opening posts "I'm regular.. pom bears, penis beaker etc etc" There's no-one at the door checking credentials fgs!

Ha! Me too. I always think it sounds like "Hey I'm one of the cool kids really!" And then proceed to give secret handshake

AnyoneForTennis Mon 15-Jun-15 12:10:48

guess the best thing to do is not get so invested in mumsnet or threads!

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Mon 15-Jun-15 12:11:35

That becomes troll hunting. People have tried it before.

Faez Mon 15-Jun-15 12:12:26

Yes but you can understand why they do it...

WorraLiberty Mon 15-Jun-15 12:12:45

Yeah but once everyone knew the signal (or word) for troll, they might as well just say troll.

Or am I missing something? confused

I think anyone who uses internet forums just needs to accept that trolls will use them too.

Especially MN, which seems to be made for trolling, due to the name change function.

Faez Mon 15-Jun-15 12:13:30

That was in response to the Pom bears complaints

Sirzy Mon 15-Jun-15 12:15:18

A signal would just be troll hunting wouldn't it?

I agree with the "nc but" lists being annoying to.

WorraLiberty Mon 15-Jun-15 12:15:47

I can never understand why anyone does the 'Pom bear, penis beaker, naice ham' declaration.

If they're regular enough to know those things, they're regular enough to know it makes no difference whatsoever, as to whether they might be considered a troll or not.

LittleBearPad Mon 15-Jun-15 12:16:29

But saying Pom bears doesn't prove anything. It's said so much that any troll would easily use it too.

Saying Penis beaker proves nothing - it was a ridiculous thread and no long time MNer would use it as proof of anything.

OrangeVase Mon 15-Jun-15 12:17:40

Difficult. Many voice suspicions anyway at some point. I have done so twice but the thread has stood. Have not reported as haven't had any evidence - just a feeling.

I love MN for all the reasons most do but the constant spoiling for a fight is wearing. I also hate the lynch mob mentality when that gets going - and some posters set the thread up to encourage that.

Good to hear different views, good to have your own views challenged but so many threads become pointless ranting or bitching. Not nice. we are better than that.

FenellaFellorick Mon 15-Jun-15 12:18:00

mnhq would just delete it because it would be troll hunting.

The minute you agree a code word for troll, that word becomes troll hunting. mnhq read the boards. They'd know. grin

I think you just have to accept that there are a load of trolls on here, that you take what you read with a pinch of salt and don't get so invested that getting stung by a troll would hurt you.

mumsnet is really troll friendly, due to the anonymity, the easy name changing and the soft moderation. It's the price to pay, I guess. The internet is full of twats.

vindscreenviper Mon 15-Jun-15 12:19:16

Well you could just post something like this op grin, but as pp have said you would be told off for troll-hunting.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 15-Jun-15 12:22:31

this is more subtle - a reference to donald sutherlabd might be missed

PurpleDaisies Mon 15-Jun-15 12:23:21

Yeah but once everyone knew the signal (or word) for troll, they might as well just say troll.

This. We'll just be told not to use the signal because that's basically troll hunting. Trolls are annoying but best reported or ignored.

SinclairSpectrum Mon 15-Jun-15 12:24:09

Don't think I am too invested, just think there are some of us who have spidey senses which must tingle off the chart at some threads.
Must be frustrating to see the rest of us continuing to blindly offer advice and support.

notaplasaticgnome Mon 15-Jun-15 12:25:32

I agree with PP. Don't get so invested.

If you don't like a thread click off it.

If you think a thread is made up, but it's not doing any harm, then join in or don't. Entirely up to you.

If someone is being particularly nasty or malicious post them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now