Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To want to join a Cult?

(85 Posts)
aliasjoey Sun 14-Jun-15 23:39:58

For years now I've felt ?dissatisfaction?curiosity? Like something is missing from my life, but I don't know what...

I do wonder about becoming religious, but I'm not sure about God, especially when seeing all the dreadful things that happen in the world. But I feel like there must be more to life than this... Those 'religions' which are essentially about doing good and being better people, [humanism?] well they don't appeal either, I want something that feels momentous.

I'm ripe to be sucked into some dodgy sect, ideally one with a charismatic leader who can promise good things in the afterlife. A Cult that's loose on morals, generous with holidays and has a very short initiation ceremony.

(also, not one that frowns on drinking alcohol grin wine Any suggestions?

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 14-Jun-15 23:41:03

Yes, go and have a chat with your GP.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 14-Jun-15 23:41:33

Or volunteer for something useful

MrsSippy Sun 14-Jun-15 23:41:57

Hell's Angels?

EatShitDerek Sun 14-Jun-15 23:43:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Babycham1979 Sun 14-Jun-15 23:43:56

I get where you're coming from. When I was at uni 1997-2000, there were rumours and tabloid stories of cults that took advantage of naive students and plied them with drugs and inducted them into depraved rituals. I was always devastated they never tried to lure me in to their evil rites.

CycleChic Sun 14-Jun-15 23:44:28

Pick one with an initiation ceremony that features kinky sex grin and let me know what one it is so I can join too

pigsDOfly Sun 14-Jun-15 23:45:09

Devil worshippers? They're not too keen on God either.

NewFlipFlops Sun 14-Jun-15 23:45:32

What you feel is the human condition. Don't waste your only life on imponderables.

fattymcfatfat Sun 14-Jun-15 23:46:33

are you a homicidal maniac?
no?
do you want to be used as a piece of meat? for sex? as a punchbag?
no?
do you want to take the blame when the cult leader inevitably murders a group of people?
no?

well then, off you go to the doctor and discover how to sensibly achieve fulfilment.

fattymcfatfat Sun 14-Jun-15 23:47:59

or...

create a cult for people that don't want to hurt others but just want to be happy?

aliasjoey Sun 14-Jun-15 23:50:59

Volunteering might make me feel better personally, but it wouldn't get to the root of the whole - society, why are we here thing. And also, I'd like some reassurance about the afterlife.

Those guys with the orange robes and the little bells - they seem pretty content?

fattymcfatfat Sun 14-Jun-15 23:54:37

monks? Buddhists? ninjas?
everyone can be content. I'm content. you may not be if you were like me though. that's the joy of personality. we are all different

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 14-Jun-15 23:56:09

It doesn't have to have meaning. I don't think mice have existential angst.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 14-Jun-15 23:58:25

Or maybe they do have little sects of teenage mice with Che Guevara posters up agonising over stuff. We live we die. Make things better for the people you meet. That's all you van do.

fattymcfatfat Mon 15-Jun-15 00:01:13

grin then you get the inevitable goth/emo mice that are all black and sit in a corner contemplating deep shit. they just want to stand out from the crowd.

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Mon 15-Jun-15 00:01:28

Learn cross-stitch.

No, I mean it seriously. Get a hobby, something new and complex, that will engross you, stretch you, lead you to meet new and completely different people.

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 15-Jun-15 00:07:37

By fatty. And the stoner mice sitting around getting the cheese munchies grin

TaintedAngel Mon 15-Jun-15 00:18:50

Eatshitderek grin grin grin grin at The Following. Perfect solution.

fattymcfatfat Mon 15-Jun-15 00:21:41

then you get the "gangsta" mice innit. grin
they is tough. (then run away when shit gets real)

Fatmomma99 Mon 15-Jun-15 00:25:51

The most important thing should be "which cult clothes best suit my shape".

All religion (whether described as "cult" or orthodox) is bollocks and ridiculous. As is anyone who subscribes. (oh.... I'm in loads of trouble for that: Unfortunate, but true - may as well pray to the fairies at the bottom of your garden, they have as much basis in reality!)

Genuinely sorry to any religious person who reads this and is offended
but you are deluded

Best advice, alias is to start your own: You'll make a packet and it has as much science behind it as all the rest. (because FAITH is what is important!)

EatShitDerek Mon 15-Jun-15 00:28:19

ErrolTheDragon Mon 15-Jun-15 00:28:21

Just accept there is no 'why' and no afterlife - that leaves 'society' so find a real cause and get on with living your life.

aliasjoey Mon 15-Jun-15 00:35:03

Don't think I could start my own cult, I don't have any leadership qualities (can't even get my own dog to follow me)

EatShitDerek Mon 15-Jun-15 00:39:11

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now