Talk

Advanced search

to think the jam goes first, then the cream

(53 Posts)
ICantDecideOnAUsername Sun 14-Jun-15 21:11:31

Dh and I have just had a cream tea (I know, decedent for a Sunday night) and had our usual 'argument' about which order the jam and clotted cream goes on. I made them so I did them my way: Jam with clotted cream on top. This is obviously the right way! DH does the cream first, 'like butter', except at about 50 times the thickness (so not like butter then!).

I'm right, aren't I?

If it makes any difference DH is from Dorset, I know different counties do it differently (I'm not from the West Country but went on a lot of holidays to Cornwall as a child), but what is the general MN consensus?

Deliaskis Sun 14-Jun-15 21:14:04

Defo cream on top in Cornwall, but I believe the opposite in Devon. Just returned from a week on Cornwall where we did plenty of sampling just to make sure, but my assertion about Devon is hearsay...

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 14-Jun-15 21:15:31

Clotted cream then jam. Otherwise the jam squidges out.

Deliaskis Sun 14-Jun-15 21:16:07

And to answer your actual question rather than the one I thought you asked in my head, I think the most recent thread was mostly on the side of cream on top, so YANBU.

southeastastra Sun 14-Jun-15 21:16:21

can we have this thread on frequently asked thread as it's asked all the fecking time

monkeyfacegrace Sun 14-Jun-15 21:16:43

Eh? You spread the jam on thickly, then DOLLOP of cream on top. Durr.

Mygardenistoobig Sun 14-Jun-15 21:17:55

Do and I have had a cream tea today, I was amused to see him do the same as your dh. I on the other hand am in your camp, jam first then cream.

Gruntfuttock Sun 14-Jun-15 21:18:34

Would you please explain why it matters when someone wants to eat something differently to how you eat it? Should they not have an equal choice?
Personally I couldn't care less how someone else chooses to eat a cream tea. They're as free to choose as I am. I can't conceive of telling someone they're wrong in such a matter as this.

PatsyNoPasta Sun 14-Jun-15 21:19:00

Jam first. Then a big blob of clotted cream. Tis the only way.

badRoly Sun 14-Jun-15 21:20:22

Another who puts jam first. Which is how the Queen takes it apparently. wink

UniS Sun 14-Jun-15 21:20:43

Devon way is cream then jam, Cornish way is just wrong.

SwedishEdith Sun 14-Jun-15 21:20:45

Butter, jam, cream

crapfatbanana Sun 14-Jun-15 21:24:33

Jam first.

Usernamegone Sun 14-Jun-15 21:25:56

Cream then jam is the Devon way. Jam then cream is the Cornish way. FWIW YABVU for preparing your DH cream as they never come pre assembled. Cream teas always come with little pots of jam and cream so that guests can prepare it how they like it!

nocoolnamesleft Sun 14-Jun-15 21:27:19

It's the difference between a Devonshire and a Cornish cream tea...a couple of us Brits had great fun on holiday once, at afternoon tea, winding up an American about "now I fancy a Devonshire cream tea" and "now I fancy a Cornish cream tea" , and preparing a scone appropriately, with her repeating, with increasing frustration "but they're the same" before we finally stopped pissing ourselves long enough to explain...

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Sun 14-Jun-15 21:28:06

Eat it how you bloody want to

Its not enough that i see this stupid question on fb and now its here. I don't care how you eat your bloody scones

SaucyJack Sun 14-Jun-15 21:30:44

YABU to eat scoans in the first place. Utter waste of calories. Rather have a bag of Maltesers.

ginmakesitallok Sun 14-Jun-15 21:31:01

But how do you spread jam on top of cream? Out do you just drop on a blob? I'm which case how do you avoid getting a big mouthful of jam?

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 14-Jun-15 21:31:11

Butter. Splutter. Butter!

I thought the OPWBU, but you Swedish have left the stratosphere in terms of sheer Unreasonableness.

I'm off to find the smelling salts. I've come over all peculiar.<<fans self and wanders off muttering about butter>>

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sun 14-Jun-15 21:31:28

For me it's whichever one is closest to the plate when preparing. I'm not fussy just greedy grin

Some people need to un-wedge their panties.

Trills Sun 14-Jun-15 21:32:08

Practically jam is usually thicker and requires more active spreading than cream.

So you can SPREAD the jam on the scone and then BLOB the cream on top.

If you put cream on first it would be more difficult to spread the jam about, unless you have unusually runny jam.

MoanCraft Sun 14-Jun-15 21:33:07

YANBU jam first for sure.

LD29 Sun 14-Jun-15 21:33:27

Must be very runny jam?wink

ICantDecideOnAUsername Sun 14-Jun-15 21:36:32

BadRoly Well if jam first is good enough for the Queen then it's good enough for me and I shall use that argument with DH grin.

Usernamegone, Dh did the tea and I did the scones. I did firstly point out that that meant that he would have them as I made them! Tbh, I don't think he noticed until I made the second lot, they didn't last long enough. Plus little pots only means more washing up wink

ICantDecideOnAUsername Sun 14-Jun-15 21:39:05

Dragon I must be looking on the wrong bits of MN and FB as I rarely see this but you know what, if you don't care then please stay off my thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now