To be rattled about terrorism threat in Turkey

(18 Posts)
Crossroads2 Sun 14-Jun-15 19:58:45

There has been an update on the foreign embassy warning tourists about a high threat of terrorism with westerners at risk.

We are going there for a much needed family holiday in the summer. I'm feeling nervous now. Am I being irresponsible taking little children there? Or should I just accept everything in life poses risks.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 14-Jun-15 20:01:02

I haven't seen it, but with a warning like that, I wouldn't go.

chipsandpeas Sun 14-Jun-15 20:03:57

depends on where your going, most tourist areas will still be prefectly safe and miles away from any troouble

cathcustard Sun 14-Jun-15 20:07:53

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/safety-and-security

We're going in a few weeks and will not change our plans. If you're going to the coast I think the risks are low. I'd be more cautious in Istanbul.

Turkey is a very big country.

SuperDuperJezebel Sun 14-Jun-15 21:08:49

I'm in Turkey at the moment and feel completely safe.

IrenetheQuaint Sun 14-Jun-15 21:13:50

Will you be on the south-west coast? If so I wouldn't worry.

The Turks are VERY invested in keeping their country tourist-friendly, and they have a big army and are very security focused.

Crossroads2 Mon 15-Jun-15 01:07:59

I've just been looking at Belek and trying to decide where it is. It looks more west on the map. Is that not so great?

Chunkymonkey79 Mon 15-Jun-15 01:26:49

http://www.fethiyetimes.com/news/44-news/15233-uk-fco-confirms-travel-advice-for-turkey.html

Shakshuka Mon 15-Jun-15 03:27:19

West is good. It's the southeast near syria that you want to avoid.

Id go to turkey now

thegreylady Mon 15-Jun-15 08:15:12

My son works in Istanbul. He has lived in Turkey for 22 years and is in the process of moving to live in Istanbul. He travels all round Turkey to various conferences etc and says there is only tension around the SE borders especially with Syria and Iran. Istanbul is no more dangerous than London and the tourist places are safer than that. I'd take children there without hesitation.

Florabeebaby Mon 15-Jun-15 08:23:47

I was in Belek last week. No issues whatsoever, it's not anywhere near any trouble.
There is a terror threat in every country it seems, I wouldn't worry about travelling to Turkey. Security is very visible there as well.

Flowerfae Mon 15-Jun-15 08:27:08

my aunt has an apartment in Turkey they go every couple of months... I'm not sure about it but she said she's never felt unsafe

Waswondering Mon 15-Jun-15 08:30:22

Also heading to Belek this summer, first timer to Turkey.

There is a 'severe, risk of terrorism for international travellers visiting the UK.

The FCO are also advising that there's a high risk of terrorism in France. Hey ho ...

PanGalaticGargleBlaster Mon 15-Jun-15 08:31:32

'The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to within 10 km of the border with Syria.

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:
the remaining areas of Sirnak, Mardin, Sanliurfa, Gaziantep, Kilis and Hatay provinces
Siirt, Tunceli and Hakkari provinces.

Over 2,500,000 British nationals visit Turkey every year. Most visits are trouble-free.'

Basically unless you are planning to go on a trekking holiday on the borders or Iraq or Syria you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Crossroads2 Mon 15-Jun-15 17:47:20

Thank you! You're right. IABU. Feeling a lot calmer now. Is it true that the UK has the same status!!

Waswondering Mon 15-Jun-15 21:15:50

Our status is "severe"!

FCO saying Australia is also under a high threat .... Like you, trying to be sensible. Happy hols!

goandshowdaddy Mon 15-Jun-15 21:27:11

Do we need to apply for a visa to visit Turkey?

Waswondering Mon 15-Jun-15 21:34:02

Yes. Do it from the official site though ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now