Talk

Advanced search

To go on holiday alone

(84 Posts)
VivienScott Sat 13-Jun-15 15:12:44

Had a very stressful couple of months for multiple reasons (the type where you can literally feel the hairs on your head turning grey). I'm now single. Kids are with their dad first week of July, I can get a week all inclusive, at a hotel in Spain for £500 and I desperately just need a break. The thought of spending a week by a pool with just books to read and sleeping to do sounds blissful. I can't afford to take the kids this year as well, and they're already getting a holiday with their dad and we went away at Easter. Aibu to go away for a week alone?

TagineKaput Sat 13-Jun-15 15:13:58

Go for it - sounds like you deserve a break. A week away on your own sounds like bliss!

ilovesooty Sat 13-Jun-15 15:14:00

I do it all the time.

Hope you enjoy it.

olbas Sat 13-Jun-15 15:14:25

Book it and enjoy your break. You sound as if you need it. I wish I had the confidence to do it. Have a lovely time.

fiveacres Sat 13-Jun-15 15:16:10

I don't know actually. Personally, I wouldn't - I would go away alone but not this sort of holiday!

Fatmomma99 Sat 13-Jun-15 15:16:24

Go!

I recommend "the Night Circus"

Have a lovely time.

Sorry things have been rough flowers

nocoolnamesleft Sat 13-Jun-15 15:19:59

Do it. Solo holidays (note, not singles holiday...rather different) can be great for recharging your batteries.

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 13-Jun-15 15:20:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoTheDuckFace Sat 13-Jun-15 15:21:05

Do it!

listsandbudgets Sat 13-Jun-15 15:21:27

Go for it. No cooking, no responsiblity, comfy room, swimming, books, drinks before dinner on the balcony, sun shine (hopefully), no need to talk to anyone you dnon't want to.... what's not to like.

Go and enjoy it. Sounds like you need it

Getthewonderwebout Sat 13-Jun-15 15:21:40

Do it. Time away and alone is so good for you.

caravanista13 Sat 13-Jun-15 15:37:01

Sounds just what you need. Go for it!

AuntyMag10 Sat 13-Jun-15 15:37:03

You have to go! You sound like you really needed and a week all to yourself to do whatever you want and just recharge will benefit both you and your kids. Go and enjoysmile

BMW6 Sat 13-Jun-15 15:40:35

I have been on several holidays alone - go for it!

molyholy Sat 13-Jun-15 15:44:09

Go for it! Sounds like just what you need OP. Enjoy.

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Sat 13-Jun-15 16:11:09

GO!!! What are you waiting for??

VivienScott Sat 13-Jun-15 17:24:19

Thank you all! I'm going to work on Monday, booking the time off and booking the holiday in my lunch hour, eek!

BabyMurloc Sat 13-Jun-15 17:27:21

The kids will benefit from a calmer mum. Sleeping reading and eating for a week sound like bliss to me!

opalfire Sat 13-Jun-15 17:27:50

Another vote for definitely go!

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sat 13-Jun-15 17:40:03

Not my sort of holiday, but if it's yours, you should just book it and go. I've been on holiday on my own, and am going this summer, it's great for re-charging the batteries and getting a bit of space.

I'm also going away with DH and with my whole family, but a bit of time alone is precious.

Athenaviolet Sat 13-Jun-15 17:42:02

I've done it. Do it.

FarFromAnyRoad Sat 13-Jun-15 17:43:45

I think it's the being alone with time to think more than where you go. I'd choose a city break and theoretically that wouldn't be at all restful but I've done it before and I'd do it again - it's the having time to yourself for reflection and just doing what YOU want when you want to. Book it, go, enjoy and take the new Lynda la Plante for an easy read - in fact, you can have mine if you want! smile

IPokeBadgers Sat 13-Jun-15 17:45:42

Go for it and enjoy suiting no-one but yourself for the week. Eat, drink, read and sleep then come back revived and ready for the rest of the summer with the kids. I generally prefer a more "interesting" holiday but sometimes would kill for something simple and restful like what you describe smile

akaWisey Sat 13-Jun-15 18:09:38

I'm doing it for the first time too, OP. Going to Ireland for a few days doing AirBnB and I can't wait! I plan to walk the coast, eat, see some live music, explore some countryside and just chill the hell out.

I'm hoping it will be the start of my becoming much more adventurous so good luck to you, it sounds like you really deserve it!

juneau Sat 13-Jun-15 18:11:06

God no, go for it! Sounds like you really need it. Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now