Talk

Advanced search

There are a lot a fires being reported in my area, is this more than usual, or in the news because there are cuts to the fire services?

(18 Posts)
NoahVale Sat 13-Jun-15 09:57:00

should we be worried?
are there, or do there seem to be more fires in your area?

BarbarianMum Sat 13-Jun-15 10:19:32

Yes lots more grass and heath fires. Because it has been dry and (recently) hot. Not noticed any increase in reporting though, just incidents.

cozietoesie Sat 13-Jun-15 10:22:27

What sort of fires are they? Domestic properties or eg schools and skips?

NoahVale Sat 13-Jun-15 10:24:41

buildings
and the heath fire which was less well reported.

DirtyBlonde Sat 13-Jun-15 10:30:26

It'll be normal level, and it's also normal that the frequency is random clumps not even spacing.

But perhaps more reported if the local paper (or whoever) is also campaigning to overturn the cuts.

NoahVale Sat 13-Jun-15 10:32:59

yes, i wondered about that, more reporting,

Waswondering Sat 13-Jun-15 10:33:17

Wondering if you're near me. We have had a Heath fire, a very large fire in disused urban site, another in derelict hospital, one in disused hotel, and in a tower block, just in the last 10 days ....

EustaciaBenson Sat 13-Jun-15 11:21:14

Are the buildings listed? Round here listed buildings get burnt down when the owners cant get planning permission

NoahVale Sat 13-Jun-15 11:27:37

a car fire
spontaneous combustion
house fires

ChantenayCarrot Sat 13-Jun-15 11:42:28

OP are you in Kent? I know that there have been a number of fires in and a round a specific couple of towns.

NoahVale Sat 13-Jun-15 11:43:33

near kent and we get to hear the kent news
there are a lot of fires lately arent there?

LoxleyBarrett Sat 13-Jun-15 11:45:06

DH says there are peaks and troughs. Less community fire safety which may lead to an general increase in house fires. DH says that people seem to be keeping household appliances longer and not serving them which is leading to a few more house fires.

In general he says things have plateaued. More smoke alarms, less chip pans etc

Last night he went to - man stuck in bed, garden rubbish fire and house fire (several people rescued including 6 month old).

heronsfly Sat 13-Jun-15 11:47:39

I'm in Kent, the local paper does seem to be on a fire hunting mission at the moment.

ArgyMargy Sat 13-Jun-15 11:50:06

No. Fires are very rare nowadays. I suspect someone is on a political mission.

LoxleyBarrett Sat 13-Jun-15 11:50:42

Local papers phone the station most mornings looking for news - maybe they haven't got much else to report!

NoahVale Sat 13-Jun-15 11:59:29

that is interesting Loxley

PHANTOMnamechanger Sat 13-Jun-15 12:41:14

I think it depends on the severity or cause of the fire, and whether there is anything else more newsworthy.

so a small chip pan fire with no casulaties would go unreported if there was a motorway pile up or a murder

but the spate of fires in Maidstone this week, all of which are believed to be the same arsonist, is obviously major news. very shocking.
we had a spate of deliberte hay barn fires last year, and a lovely old building that was being used as a cannabis farm too.

I think people are a bit blase about safety sometimes too - things like teens leaving hot straighteners on their bed or laptops/phones charging up on the bed. we didn't have these things years ago, but there were more chip oan and cigarette related fires.

NoahVale Sat 13-Jun-15 12:42:25

oh, I didnt realise it was the same arsonist in Maidstone, let alone that it was an arsonist either

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now