Talk

Advanced search

... to carry on doing ab work in third tri?

(9 Posts)
sparklewater Sat 13-Jun-15 09:50:20

AIBU to still do crunches / leg raises while pregnant? I've been doing them all the way through, obviously slower and more carefully and not all the way up as I'm getting bigger. One of the gym instructors really really told me off this morning - quite publicly - so I'm feeling a bit shitty now. None of the others have minded as long as I'm not laying flat.

She says it will crush baby. But I can feel if the baby is being squished! It's more uncomfortable slouching on the sofa than doing nice controlled movements.

She made me feel really crap sad

Back story - I exercised all through my first pregnancy and have done through this one. I'm careful of my limits and know what my body can do. She has been at the gym for years and knows I go regularly.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 13-Jun-15 09:59:47

YANBU, you're being sensible and know your limits.

Musicaltheatremum Sat 13-Jun-15 10:00:52

As I understand it you can continue with excersises that you are used to. As long as you're not getting pain when doing them I would have thought it's fine. As for squashing the baby, ridiculous, it's in a huge muscle bag Andrés no different to sitting down as you say. I'd agree probably best not to lie flat on your back as it can squash the main vein in the body but you would feel faint if this were a major problem.
I remember when I was about 8 weeks pregnant I climbed over my nieces stair gait which was shutting off a room. My BIL said he didn't think I should do "that" movement (ie lifting my leg up and over) as I was pregnant. I asked him if he thought the baby was going to drop out. (He's an anaesthetist)
If you're really unsure you could speak to the obstetric physios at the hospital.
I hope you spring back into shape after the baby after all your good worksmile

Musicaltheatremum Sat 13-Jun-15 10:01:46

Andrés???? Can't even remember what I meant to say. But not this

PollyIndia Sat 13-Jun-15 10:04:15

I exercised thoughout pregnancy but doing crunches for too long made my abs split so that's why I wouldn't do that specific exercise for too long.
I carried on going to reformer pilates but just didn't do the crunch type exercises. I still did planks though, and yoga and headstands right up until about 36 weeks. Then I stopped that and did preg yoga and joined a gym. They were a bit concerned at me joining at 36 weeks pregnant!
Crushing the baby doesn't seem likely though!

Pointlessfan Sat 13-Jun-15 10:04:24

I did Pilates up until I really couldn't any more, about 2 weeks before due date. I'm really glad I did as I had no problems with muscles separating or anything. You are being careful so you should be fine.

BathtimeFunkster Sat 13-Jun-15 10:07:02

It's obviously not going to harm the baby in any way, but I wonder (as somebody whose previously iron core muscles were completely and permanently busted by carrying a 10lb baby) whether you are doing your abs any good by doing those exercises you mention while your abdominal muscles are not where they would normally be.

sparklewater Sat 13-Jun-15 10:15:24

Thank you everyone! She made me really doubt myself and it was just embarrassing. I go to that gym about 4 times a week so I know a lot of people there and it made me feel stupid. She seemed utterly aghast at the very idea of it.

I have (had!) pretty strong abs (history of pole fitness and yoga as well as running and normal gym stuff) so while I'm not doing anything to exhaustion - or even until I feel it, if that makes sense - I'm hoping that just going through the motions at a lower level will keep things ticking over.

Separated ab muscles sounds nasty! My gap thingy (can't remember proper name) joined up after two weeks last time though so fingers crossed the same happens this time smile

PollyIndia Sat 13-Jun-15 10:30:13

It sounds nasty but actually knitted back together pretty quickly for me. I guess there is the risk it might not which is why they say not to do crunches when pg.
But you know your body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now