Talk

Advanced search

To think if you home educate a child, you (the parent) are the educater?

(182 Posts)
greytartan Fri 12-Jun-15 22:24:02

I have absolutely no issues with Home Ed and in fact see it largely as a positive.

What I am upset about is the fact a student of mine has been withdrawn from the school I teach at to be educated at home. As indicated above, I am supportive of this if the parents feel it is right.

However, I apparently have to set her work, and mark it,

Surely that's not right? As if she is educated at home then - well, as the name suggests!

Or AIBU?

hiddenhome Fri 12-Jun-15 22:26:12

Perhaps she's not coping with school and this is a compromise so that she still receives an education.

What's the backstory?

ProcrastinatorGeneral Fri 12-Jun-15 22:28:04

If you're not good enough in their eyes to be the educator then I'd tell them to fuck of with expecting you to provide your resources, lesson plans and marking. Absolute cheek!

(I have so little time for home education it's unreal, so my viewpoint may be biased. Sorry!)

Fairenuff Fri 12-Jun-15 22:28:10

Can't possibly say without more information.

listsandbudgets Fri 12-Jun-15 22:28:37

Depends.

Is this an agreement made with the head of the school which will allow a child to continue receiving an education because school is too hard for one reason or another or have her parents just decided they want her at home.

It the former YABU. If the YANBU

greytartan Fri 12-Jun-15 22:28:46

Yes, that is the case - I am unclear of the details but she has been withdrawn to be home educated. However, if she is being home educated, it seems somewhat misleading as work is still asked for on a very regular basis.

greytartan Fri 12-Jun-15 22:29:29

I don't have a huge amount of information I am afraid. Just that she is being educated at home but you still need to send work home and then mark it. That's as much as I have been told.

Egosumquisum Fri 12-Jun-15 22:30:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GirlInterupted Fri 12-Jun-15 22:30:25

I think you're being unreasonable posting about a child you work with on a public forum.

latebreakfast Fri 12-Jun-15 22:31:13

Seriously??? How are they telling you this now the student is not in school?

You have no responsibility whatsoever to offer any sort of teaching to a home-educated child (unless the school has agreed some sort of flexi-schooling which is incredibly rare).

hiddenhome Fri 12-Jun-15 22:31:19

I had severe school phobia due to relentless bulling. I'd have been so grateful for home education.

You may be doing the girl a huge favour.

tethersend Fri 12-Jun-15 22:32:04

Is the child on roll at your school?

Egosumquisum Fri 12-Jun-15 22:32:17

greytartan Fri 12-Jun-15 22:32:42

Girl, even if I knew more details I wouldn't post them, but the above is all I know. I think it's unlikely she may be identified through this and plus, I have no issue with the student concerned as I haven't ever actually met her. I don't honestly know anything about whether she'll be back or not.

LindyHemming Fri 12-Jun-15 22:32:51

greytartan Fri 12-Jun-15 22:33:40

Possibly ego but it's been a long time now and it's really difficult coming up with work that can be done at a distance and time consuming as well. Obviously if this is expected I'll take it on the chin - it's just that I don't know the answer, that's why I asked on here smile

Egosumquisum Fri 12-Jun-15 22:33:47

claraschu Fri 12-Jun-15 22:35:05

I find it hard to believe that a teacher in a mainstream school would write like this, and be in this situation. I think this could only happen in a UK state school if the child is being temporarily educated at home because of physical or mental illness.

hiddenhome Fri 12-Jun-15 22:35:23

Perhaps she's ill and can't be in school for that reason.

You're making her sound as though she's merely an inconvenience. It's nice to see you care hmm

If you don't want to do it then make a formal objection and let someone else do it.

Egosumquisum Fri 12-Jun-15 22:35:28

GirlInterupted Fri 12-Jun-15 22:36:03

Given the unique circumstances I would worry that if a member of her family were a mumsnetter and read this they would know it was about her. If that happened you would be in a huge amount of trouble.

greytartan Fri 12-Jun-15 22:36:13

No conclusions being jumped to here euphemia my question is genuine.

However, I've tried to find out but just get vague answers. I don't think anybody knows what is going on but she has not been in school since the first week in September so I think even if she does come back, I'm not sure how helpful the work set will be.

Unfortunately, whilst I would never begrudge a child time and effort, it is a LOT of effort on my part, and that's why I feel a bit frustrated I'm being told nothing and could be having to do this for the next 4 years!

greytartan Fri 12-Jun-15 22:36:37

Ok girl; I'll take the risk I think smile

GirlInterupted Fri 12-Jun-15 22:37:02

And tbh where is your compassion?

PurpleSwift Fri 12-Jun-15 22:37:14

Well it entirely depends why. I was withdrawn to be home educated due to illness. I still had school set homework and it was still marked by my old teachers and I still sat some of my exams at school.
Does it matter? If you're setting and marking homework for X amount of students anyway, what's wrong with one more in this case?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now