Talk

Advanced search

to not give a toss that I'm vegan and just killed 40-50 slugs and snails

(156 Posts)
killervegan2015 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:22:45

I haven't had a single strawberry this year that hadn't been part nibbled.

Its wet outside. I tool my torch and a bucket with salty water and plopped all the ones I could find in there.

Sadly this didn't seam to kill them, so I sprinkled salt on the ones that tried to get out. And they dropped down.

Am I a bad person? Mostly they were slugs, but did get a few snails.

MrsNextDoor Fri 12-Jun-15 22:24:54

Yes. You're a baddie. You should just have collected them and then flung them. Get some copper sheets or crushed shells ffs! They have little slimy souls you know!

hiddenhome Fri 12-Jun-15 22:27:57

Do you kill bacteria as well?

Some things are more killable than others.

professornangnang Fri 12-Jun-15 22:29:02

Why would you be arsed being vegan and then killing lots of creatures anyway. Imho veganism is pure Western self indulgence. If you were marooned on an island á la Bear Grylls with nothing to eat except animals you'd forget veganism very quickly.

MelanieCheeks Fri 12-Jun-15 22:30:31

Depends on your reasons for being vegan I suppose.

killervegan2015 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:31:21

Imho veganism is pure Western self indulgence. If you were marooned on an island á la Bear Grylls with nothing to eat except animals you'd forget veganism very quickly.

Are you just spoiling for a bun fight?biscuit

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Fri 12-Jun-15 22:31:44

I hate them but I couldn't kill them. Our young plants are in pots and come in every night... Its a chore.

Crushed shells? Is that a thing? Don't they get washed away every time it rains or you water?

killervegan2015 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:33:05

Flung them where?

I've got the copper sheets. All my straberrys are on hay, but doesn't work.

My purple sprouted was distroyed, and my kale is all gone

Just be careful, as those little snails you're picking on may just get their big brothers to come n sort you out grin grin

42andGaffaTape Fri 12-Jun-15 22:34:11

Also a vegan and while I understand your frustration your actions annoy me. No actual solutions here though so...carry on. Not too sure why you would publicise it though.

Stinkersmum Fri 12-Jun-15 22:34:22

Not bad as such. Just a bit of a hypocrit.

BlackeyedSusan Fri 12-Jun-15 22:34:36

<rushes to cupboard to find egg replacer>

if we are going to be having a bun fight, may as well have a vegan bun fight. ..

LeChien Fri 12-Jun-15 22:35:10

Doesn't killing any animal defeat the object of being a vegan? confused

merrymouse Fri 12-Jun-15 22:35:55

It's a slippery slope op...

killervegan2015 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:36:10

I've been vegan for over 30 years, I've tried to grow veg for years. I never get much yeild. For years I've been saying its fine, I'm sharing. But I'm just fed up. I've spent so many hours breaking my back in the garden just for most things to be eaten.

DumbledoresKnobblyWand Fri 12-Jun-15 22:37:38

Christ, I'm not a vegan and I couldn't do that.

I love snails sad

42andGaffaTape Fri 12-Jun-15 22:37:44

blackeyedsusan forget the egg replacer just use banana or a can of pop. Cheaper my dear. grin

MrsNextDoor Fri 12-Jun-15 22:38:09

My sister drives them down the lane in their bucket! grin Lay some crushed nut shells all round...they hate them. You can buy sacks of them,.

ArcheryAnnie Fri 12-Jun-15 22:38:39

Tip the dead snails onto the lawn and the birds will love you!

ethelb Fri 12-Jun-15 22:39:43

You see, you need egg shells to deter them. If you are vegan where you going to get those from?

42andGaffaTape Fri 12-Jun-15 22:40:00

here you go op

DumbledoresKnobblyWand Fri 12-Jun-15 22:40:28

Me and DS sit in the garden for ages watching them eat our strawberry tops. Look at that happy little snail...

42andGaffaTape Fri 12-Jun-15 22:41:13

ethelb a chickens bum?

::drunk and playing::

AwfulBeryl Fri 12-Jun-15 22:41:14

Oh dear, you're going straight to hell dude. wink
I am a meat eater and even I don't kill the poor defensive slugs sad
They hate garlic and onions, if you plant some of them around your fruit and veg they might avoid them. As a pp mentioned copper also works.

FuckyNell Fri 12-Jun-15 22:42:58

I love a good slug salt puddle! I'd assume though that if you're vegan then no way we would be of the same opinion.

Hmmm. Who knew? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now