To be dreading another summer of breastfeeding

(40 Posts)
Cliffdiver Fri 12-Jun-15 21:13:36

I know no one is forcing me to BF <removes DD2's thumb from my head> but...

Breastfeeding during hot weather is unbearable to me, I feel hot, sticky, irritable and DD2 (15mo) is unsurprisingly wanting to BF more - which is hard as I am back working and in a constant state of feeling pre-mastial (is that a word?!) when I am away from her.

Any survivals tips greatly welcomed grin

stargirl1701 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:15:41

My first summer approaches with DD2, 9 months. No tips but it's got to easier than being in the third trimester which is where I was last summer!

Stealthpolarbear Fri 12-Jun-15 21:17:59

Loads of water for both of you

Cliffdiver Fri 12-Jun-15 21:19:49

I drink loads of water, but still in a constant state of sticky-uncomfortableness.

star I think I've blocked the third trimester out smile

avocadotoast Fri 12-Jun-15 21:20:45

DD is only 3 weeks old and I'm already a sticky, stressy mess. My milk is still settling itself down which means my flow is uncontrollable and I keep accidentally squirting everywhere (including up her nose) which makes things worse. I'm fed up already!

IUseAnyName Fri 12-Jun-15 21:21:25

Yanbu, I never got to wear a dress last year sad.... Didnt want to fork out for a maternity one!

On the otherhand, i worry that my dd isn't srink as much liquid in the sun as she would have done if still bf x

Pinkcatgirl Fri 12-Jun-15 21:23:27

Well done on doing it even though you don't always enjoy it! My LO is 6m old today so I suppose technically i could stop and not feel guilty, though I don't suppose I will. Not got son to take any formula yet and sterilising is such a faff anyway.

My major moan is the clothes, I love to wear dresses but makes access difficult. Have spent hundreds on bf dresses so far!

Cliffdiver Fri 12-Jun-15 21:23:30

I feel for you avocado I read that apparently we sweat more when BFing so our babies can smell and recognise us, which makes sense in the early days... But a year later isn't much consolation.

Whathaveilost Fri 12-Jun-15 21:23:36

If its unbearable don't do it.
No need to suffer.

Annunziata Fri 12-Jun-15 21:23:51

Get a bottle-sprayer you can scoosh at yourself.

I couldn't skin-skin breastfeed in hot weather, I had to have something cool and thin between us as much as possible. Also feed on the side at night.

girliefriend Fri 12-Jun-15 21:24:03

If it is unbearable I seriously wouldn't be doing anymore, sorry but I don't understand why you would if it is making you feel horrible.

Cliffdiver Fri 12-Jun-15 21:24:50

I don't buy BFing dressing, just low cut dresses I can pop a boob out of grin

gymboywalton Fri 12-Jun-15 21:25:24

stop breastfeeding
your child is 15 months and can drink out of a cup now

why make yourself miserable?

Bluestocking Fri 12-Jun-15 21:25:47

It's great that you want to go on breastfeeding. Do you work somewhere you could have an electric fan pointed at you?!

Cliffdiver Fri 12-Jun-15 21:25:55

girl because DD2 is crazy about the boob and showing no signs of stopping <martyr>

IWillOnlyEatBeans Fri 12-Jun-15 21:26:26

I loved bf in summer. Really easy to do in a vest top and no worries about babies or toddlers getting dehydrated.
I was much less keen in colder weather when my nipples hurt and I had to wrestle with jumpers and coats.

Maybe try freezing some bm in ice lolly moulds?

IUseAnyName Fri 12-Jun-15 21:27:09

Not as easy as just stopping, even with a 15 month old. My dd stopped at 19 months and it was haaaaard!.... I had to go away for 4 days!

Cliffdiver Fri 12-Jun-15 21:27:32

gym yes she can and does drink out a cup, but it does not compare to the comfort she gets from BFing

Cliffdiver Fri 12-Jun-15 21:29:58

Beans great idea re lollies, but I only get an oz when pumping sad.

AnyName same for me with DD1, I 'moved out' for 2 days to wean her off, it was horrible.

Smooshface Fri 12-Jun-15 21:30:04

At 15 months she could survive the day? Mine self weaned at this age anyway but I was only doing morning and night. She doesn't drunk much water or milk now, worried a bit for summer but will just have to give in and do juice (was hoping to have a water drinking child, not to be!)

girliefriend Fri 12-Jun-15 21:30:25

But your needs are important as well Cliff if you don't want to bf anymore you don't need your dds permission you just cut down and stop. You have done so well to get to 15 months.

Fwiw I bf for a year but got to the point where I wanted my body back as well as not have to worry about leaky boobs.

5madthings Fri 12-Jun-15 21:30:40

Oh I remember this, yes it could be sticky and horrid, I used to use a muslin cloth so there was no skin to skin contact.

BettyCatKitten Fri 12-Jun-15 21:30:49

I've never bf past 12 months and that was bad enough!

Cliffdiver Fri 12-Jun-15 21:31:12

Blue I could probably get a fan for my desk, yes, good idea.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Fri 12-Jun-15 21:32:40

I was rubbish at expressing too. I recently stopped feeding DS2 at 2.5. It was surprisingly painless! I miss it, but do quite like being able to wear normal bras again...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now