Talk

Advanced search

To feel offended by my husband saying....

(7 Posts)
Britneyspooge Fri 12-Jun-15 20:35:04

Long time lurker, but this is my first post, please be gentle.

DH and I have agreed the following statement and need the wisdom of MN to settle our disagreement...
I nearly choked with shock and outrage on my delicious homemade wild boar ragu and pasta, because my DH quipped "that will put another couple of layers on your hips"! Of course I should be very sensitive about my weight right now, since having our first DD in Jan. AIBU?

A bit of background, since DD arrived DH cooks for me 5 or so times a week (before then we never bothered as both of us worked late). He is very good and displays no small amount of Italian flair in the kitchen. Regular culinary pleasures come with the cost of calorie accumulation, however. I turned to DH tonight and said he must no longer cook his own recipes; I said I wanted to lose weight and so had signed us up to Gousto (healthy supper ingredients delivered to your door). Unfortunately we missed next week's deadline, and so DH will have to cook from his menu for another week. This is when he said that I'll have to put off my plans for a diet for another week, since he struggles to hold back that extra dash of olive oil and other calorie bombs (albeit which make dishes delicious). It is then he nodded to tonight's pasta supper he had prepared and said "that will put another couple of layers on your hips"...

AIBU to be a bit miffed at this?

Cassie258 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:38:05

How many layers do you currently have? wink

It sounds to me that you have spoken about a weight issue, said you will diet because you are unhappy and he's made a bit of a joke about it?!

If he wasn't laughing have some of your own Italian flair and throw the plate in his face.

Writerwannabe83 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:38:23

YANBU.

I would have said something as equally offensive: "If only it would add a few more layers to your penis. Ah well, never mind."

mikado1 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:39:28

Yabu you have said you want to lose weight and obviously feel quite strongly about it. Your husband is right that the dish described won't help towards this..simples.

I do understand though, my challenge is chocolate and I can't stand when oh reminds me of my intentions when I am half way through a bar!!

BehindEveryCloud Fri 12-Jun-15 20:42:39

So he was commenting/joking about his own cooking as you'd said it's too fatty?
Can't see the big deal tbh confused

BlackeyedSusan Fri 12-Jun-15 20:54:50

wild boar?

tries not to be distracted...

perhaps the boar has affected his personality

shame it did not put a lock on his tongue.

BuildYourOwnSnowman Fri 12-Jun-15 21:10:38

in the context of the conversation you were having i can't see a problem with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now