Talk

Advanced search

To think my bag isn't too extravagant!

(73 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Fri 12-Jun-15 17:45:40

For my birthday last year my DD and DP bought me a Cath Kidstone bag, admittedly it was £70 which is a big wedge of money but it was a birthday present and i absolutely love it, its still as decent as when i first bought it despite me chucking it around in my usual way. Ive never been a bag person before and its nice to have somethig that is mine and nice. I never spend money on myself, i cut my own hair and all my clothes come from charity shops. I live in converses which are full of holes and a pair of tk max birkies and in the winter my northface boots i got from john lewis sale for £40 are on their second year and will last at least another.

Some work colleagues spotted my bag and were all "oooh get you with your cath kidstone bag" (actual words) and when i said it was only £70 and a birthday present there were raised eyebrows all round.

I can't imagine i'll have to buy another bag for a loooooooonnnng time and surely that is better than buying several "copy cat" bags on the market for £15?

It made me feel really bad actually and its playing on my mind because we really don't have very much money at alland whilst the bag imo wasn#t expensive, it was to us,the eyebrow raising colleagues are far better off than us so was I selfish? Have i been too long on the school playground were all the mums sport mulberry bags? I just thought Cath Kidstone was a standard, relatively cheap make? confused.

MakeItRain Fri 12-Jun-15 17:50:57

I think you're taking offence where none was meant. I would take a comment like that to mean the same as "nice bag!" I would have just said something like "I know, lucky me, it was a birthday present!"

pickledparsnip Fri 12-Jun-15 17:51:30

I don't think Cath Kidston is cheap. I think it is over priced though!

MakeItRain Fri 12-Jun-15 17:52:04

I think Cath Kidstone things are lovely by the way!

ethelb Fri 12-Jun-15 17:52:05

Makeitrain get real. She was being a bitch.

fiveacres Fri 12-Jun-15 17:52:23

I'd be irritated at that myself.

EatShitDerek Fri 12-Jun-15 17:53:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLiberty Fri 12-Jun-15 17:53:44

Blimey, it's just a bag.

Chill out and enjoy it, if that's your thing.

listsandbudgets Fri 12-Jun-15 17:54:05

Ignnore them. Why shouldnt you have something nice that will last well? Its not as if you've splashed out on cladding yourself top to toe in dior, gucci and prada.

My mum always said "buy well buy once" and it sounds like you've done that (not to add it was a present)

You enjoy your bag.

LashesandLipstick Fri 12-Jun-15 17:54:49

No. Ignore it, I've had people say similar things to me about my (relatively expensive) purchases. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't spend my money irresponsibly and I'm not in debt - so what I choose to buy is my own business.

Cheesymonster Fri 12-Jun-15 17:55:42

You said yourself you love the bag. It makes you happy and was a thoughtful gift, forget what they said. You're not selfish by receiving a birthday gift.

HelpingAFriendNow Fri 12-Jun-15 17:57:18

Enjoy your bag and don't let anyone take the shine off it.

It was a present off a special person too.

Ignore others comments.

BettyCatKitten Fri 12-Jun-15 17:57:28

Ignore, ignore, ignore!

DumbledoresKnobblyWand Fri 12-Jun-15 18:00:32

I wouldn't take it personally.

It's the sort of thing I'd say to colleagues, and they to me tbh.

teatrailer Fri 12-Jun-15 18:04:53

Most of us know someone who would say "Ooh, it's all right for some!"

I knew a woman who said it all the time, she was much better off than me.

It's annoying, but usually means nothing at all, a bit patronising perhaps.

kinkyfuckery Fri 12-Jun-15 18:05:00

Just ignore. It sounds like jealousy, if anything.

I'm jealous though, as my CK bags don't last as long - the zip has burst on my latest one and local seamstress (or whatever the male term is!) says it's not fixable sad

Whathaveilost Fri 12-Jun-15 18:06:40

Why do people put themselves down with the 'it only cost x amount'.

All you needed to say when they said its a Cath Kidstone bag was ' yes, it is. It's my birthday present!'

answersonapostcardplease Fri 12-Jun-15 18:07:55

It does my nut it when people go on like this. Oooh thats expensive. My money, beak out. Enjoy your bag.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Fri 12-Jun-15 18:10:00

I wouldn't let this bother me at all. You don't have to justify your possessions to anyone. What has it got to do with them how much your bag cost? I would never have even told them it was 'only' x amount or that it was a present, you're just inviting further comment. I would have said 'yes, lovely isn't it?' And moved on.
It's just a bag.

And it's nothing to do with the cost tbh. We'd do, 'Ooh get you with your new lipstick' etc, even if it was a quid from Superdrug.

Allbymyselfagain Fri 12-Jun-15 18:27:49

Sorry I fail to see the insult in this. It's a bit like the "ooh new shoes" advert. Was there something in the tone or look as it was said? otherwise i think maybe you might be projecting a wee bit. Everyone deserves a treat sometime, your DP and DD obviously thought so, so enjoy your lovely bag!

DressMeHeadToFootInTommy Fri 12-Jun-15 18:31:29

just shrug and say ''i liked it, yeh''.

TheoriginalLEM Fri 12-Jun-15 18:31:58

This person is well known for her bitchy comments, i just honestly thought that even though £70 is a big lot of money for me (and as such those sort of purchases would ony be a present if we are flush) as we are mostly skint, is not actualy that much to spend on a bag.

DressMeHeadToFootInTommy Fri 12-Jun-15 18:35:33

No it's not! If you look on Radley.co.uk I don't see much for under £190
My last bag was from mint velvet, and it was £130. I loved it. I'd been looking for a while, saw that one, and it was a bit more than I could afford but I love it.

Some people are always ''drama baiting'' others. She wants you to defend your right to have a £70 bag. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now