Talk

Advanced search

to wonder about The Tribe and FGM

(73 Posts)
uttercyclepath Fri 12-Jun-15 17:35:23

I can't help wondering (and worrying) whether the girls in this program have been subjected to the horrendous practice of FGM.
If they have, will the program makers gloss over the fact, or even fail to mention it?
They are dissecting their lives after all, so surely they will touch upon the subject sooner or later.
They have a moral obligation to bring it to the viewers attention, surely.

Should we even be watching it if they don't?

meglet Fri 12-Jun-15 17:37:49

Where is it tonight? Last week was Nepal wasn't it?

WorraLiberty Fri 12-Jun-15 17:38:50

Well that's a bit of a strange question really because there's only been one episode so far confused

So how will anyone know if they should be watching it, until the last episode has been aired?

MirandaGoshawk Fri 12-Jun-15 17:42:03

I've only watched a few minutes of it but I got the impression it's about the men, and presumably is filmed by men. Therefore maybe it's not on the film-makers' radar. Also maybe not something that the men of the tribe are involved with? But I'm speculating here.

But re your questions, they just seem to be filming in a non-judgmental way, and not explaining either. E.g they didn't eplain why the man who went to see his wife-to-be didn't take the goats with him. So maybe they wouldn't ask about FGM if they came across it. But I hope they would. And why wouldn't we watch it? Just to not give credibility to the programme? I found it boring anyway, which was why I didn't watch much of it.

gobbin Fri 12-Jun-15 17:44:38

I liked it but I'm sure everyone viewing must've been thinking "Just take them the bloody goats!" by the end!

TheXxed Fri 12-Jun-15 17:46:37

The entire show was a pile of shit. Channel 4 needs a complete management overhaul, benefit street, benefit tenants and now this wank. Is channel 4s mandate to reinforce negative tropes.

uttercyclepath Fri 12-Jun-15 17:48:45

Up until a couple of years ago I never even knew that FGM existed. It's only from seeing it in the news and safeguarding courses that it's now on my radar.
This is why I wondered (and worried yes) about whether the girls in The Tribe have had to go through this barbarous act.
That's all.
I don't think it's a strange question.

It's early days so maybe they will bring the subject up. They should. The more awareness the better.

meglet Fri 12-Jun-15 17:49:30

oh, I'm thinking about the Kate Humble doc, Living with Nomads. Off to google The Tribe....

SurlyCue Fri 12-Jun-15 17:49:39

Oh that son was a chip off the old block alright wasn't he? grin excuses and beating around the bush.

And how i howled at "nobody cares about me" grin

WorraLiberty Fri 12-Jun-15 17:51:09

Should we even be watching it if they don't?

That ^^ is what I mean was a strange question.

As I said, if they do cover it, it might not be until the last episode.

If they don't, people will have watched it all anyway (if they're interested)

TheXxed Fri 12-Jun-15 17:51:16

For the record Ethiopia has one the fastest growing economies in the world lifted millions out of poverty and has invested billions on infrastructure, education and health.

But let's film some people with no tops and some goats.

SurlyCue Fri 12-Jun-15 17:56:13

I dont think they will even touch on FGM tbh. Firstly because it is a "woman's issue" that the men take nothing to do with and the men are running the show, and also because it would be too risky to bring up and risk losing the relationship and so further filming priviledges.

SmillasSenseOfSnow Fri 12-Jun-15 17:59:25

I thought it was often the fathers of these children that insisted the girls had it done when the 'cutters' came to town? What's all this talk of the men having nothing to do with it?

ghostyslovesheep Fri 12-Jun-15 18:09:28

surely they 'should' only bring it up if it's an issue within the tribe confused

otherwise it's not relevant

and FGM has been an issue for years and campaigned about for years - I was involved in some awareness raising in 1987

uttercyclepath Fri 12-Jun-15 18:13:08

^surely they 'should' only bring it up if it's an issue within the tribe confused
otherwise it's not relevant^

I'm not sure I understand.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 12-Jun-15 18:15:06

why do you think it should be brought up?

I thought this was a documentary about a specific tribe

if this tribe does not practice FGM (as many many many Africans don't) WHY do you think it should be discussed?

DawnOfTheDoggers Fri 12-Jun-15 18:15:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

uttercyclepath Fri 12-Jun-15 18:19:22

Because it's a practice that happens a lot in rural tribes in Ethopia and by not mentioning it, it's the elephant in the room.
This particular tribe seems very traditional and FGM is a traditional practice, so there is a strong chance that most of the women have at some point been submitted to this practice.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 12-Jun-15 18:24:32

oh yabu it's like watching a documentary about elephants and complaining they don't talk about killer whales grin

if this tribe don't practice FGM it's not relevant to a documentary about them

meyesmyeyes Fri 12-Jun-15 18:26:51

I don't mind being told iabu. This is why I posted here.

If I watch again, I will try to push the thought that they may have undergone FGM to the back of my mind.

uttercyclepath Fri 12-Jun-15 18:29:20

And note to self.
Try not to have switch between two usernames smile

Cornettoninja Fri 12-Jun-15 18:34:04

Fair point *thexxed', Ethiopia looks like a beautiful country with an absolutely fascinating history, but I can also see the producers view that it's an interesting angle to approach a rural area with a very tribal community.

They're living a way of life that is older than our country and which makes similarities more fascinating, it's not just about the differences.

There was a similar series about a tribe in the Amazon a few years back that concentrated on the social stories, Brazil is more than the Amazon, but a programme in Rio would be a completely different topic.

I did wonder how comfortable those wooden pillow seats were. They looked pretty happy with them - I fancy giving them a go!

TheXxed Fri 12-Jun-15 18:39:47

The problem is cornett we don't see contrasting images of Ethiopia or Africa as a whole. We tonnes of World cup 2014 content which showed the huge progress and changes made in Brazil. When it comes to Africa its the same tired bullshit over and over and over again. When it's not war its famine or terrorism. Africa is huge it can fit the whole of Europe, China, India and united States, but we only see a very limited perspective.

BMW6 Fri 12-Jun-15 18:45:00

Maybe they have suffered FGM - but I imagine that it would be a deeply personal thing to ask of, and incredibly rude to suggest their custom is wrong straight off the bat.

After all, they are in their own home in their own country.

uttercyclepath Fri 12-Jun-15 18:54:48

Just because something is a custom doesn't make it right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now