AIBU for thinking Nicky Morgan MP has gone too far?

(15 Posts)
Nicky4HelCal Fri 12-Jun-15 17:01:01

The Education and Adoption Bill 2015 proposed by Nicky Morgan will force many community schools to convert into academies by the Secretary of State, and force the governors and local authority to facilitate the conversion. Worse, parents will NOT be consulted............it's all down to the definition of "coasting" schools. There is no equivalent proposal for failing or "coasting" academies. Check out my petition on 38degrees to have a say (maybe the last say you'll have on education): you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/education-equaltiy-inclusivity-diversity-a-voice-for-all-stakeholders

Icimoi Fri 12-Jun-15 17:33:10

It is ludicrous to suggest that the magic answer to schools with problems is to make them into academies. Ofsted statistics demonstrate that the failure rate amongst free schools and academies is frighteningly high.

LashesandLipstick Fri 12-Jun-15 17:34:15

YANBU. I want to slap the entirety of the current government for what they're doing to education, healthcare and welfare.

noblegiraffe Fri 12-Jun-15 17:40:56

They want to convert all schools to academies and get rid of local authorities. They forced a load of schools to convert with severe budget cuts then celebrated how many schools had 'chosen' to become academies. Schools that have managed to resist will now be railroaded into it. This was the plan all along.

Noodledoodledoo Fri 12-Jun-15 17:43:52

The schools that had the carrot dangled and took it - 4 years down the line suddenly the financial benefits aren't appearing to be quite as rewarding.

Divide and conquer by removing any standard practice across the board.

Nicky4HelCal Fri 12-Jun-15 18:01:35

And what a horrible waste of taxpayers money

bopoityboo3 Fri 12-Jun-15 19:33:55

Oh this makes me so mad! I work in an academy and it is no better then the local authority schools I've worked in. If anything staff are treated more like scum on the heads shoe and the kids more like numbers on a spread sheet. Schools are not businesses and the sooner the government realises this the better it will be for our children.

SomethingFunny Fri 12-Jun-15 19:39:06

Makes me mad too. Privatisation by the back door. My local school decided to jump rather than be pushed and converted. No one was in favour, but basically their was no choice. Did standards improve? No.

Actually, the school was taken over by a business many years ago (early 2000s), the business messed up and the school had to be re-taken over by the LEA because such a mess was made. It is now converting to an Acadamy (for the second time basically).

LuluJakey1 Fri 12-Jun-15 19:39:41

They want rid of anything that is the responsibility of the state. Anything they can do to farm out services in education, health and social care, Royal Mail, RBS etc to private companies, they will. The plan is to reduce state spending as much as possible.

I wonder when benefits will become some sort of loan/ insurance/ private enterprise.

We are seeing the end of state education and of the NHS.

tethersend Fri 12-Jun-15 19:41:56

From what I can gather from the bill... Schools must convert into academies if the Secretary of State says so confused

ghostyslovesheep Fri 12-Jun-15 19:57:44

oh come on now - failing schools need sorting and academies are brilliant - I mean there are NO failing academies are there ... oh now hang on hmm

CremeEggThief Fri 12-Jun-15 20:00:05

Signed and shared.

tethersend Fri 12-Jun-15 20:04:11

Not just failing schools, but, err... 'Coasting' schools. Sorry, schools which the SoS deems to be 'coasting'.

What constitutes coasting? Two Ofsted 'good's in a row?

tethersend Fri 12-Jun-15 20:04:55

What's the difference between producing consistently good results and coasting?

sizeup Fri 12-Jun-15 20:12:23

Signed and shared. There is very little evidence that academies perform any better than state schools. RIP NHS too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now