AIBU in keeping my mouth shut

(25 Posts)
MythicalKings Fri 12-Jun-15 12:37:30

Went up the lane to the corner shop earlier today. I heard a sort of scrunching sound behind me and looked round to see a mobility scooter being driven by a woman who lives down the lane starting to cross the road. I thought she was maybe having trouble with it.

Next door neighbour has just told me that a woman knocked on her door to see if she'd seen who damaged the side of her car which was parked outside NDN's house. I think it's likely it could have been the mobility scooter but I don't know for sure. I'm inclined to say nothing because the car was parked half on the pavement.

I get fed up with people parking on our already quite narrow pavement and the police have sent letters to all of us saying we shouldn't do it but it isn't us, it's the support staff from the school over the road. There isn't enough room in the school car park so part timers park on the lane half on half off the pavement.

If the car owner didn't leave enough room for a scooter or a pram to get past then it's her own fault her car got scraped isn't it? AIBU in not saying anything, it may not even have been the woman on the scooter.

SaucyJack Fri 12-Jun-15 12:41:10

YANBU.

Obviously I would never condone deliberate damage to cars parked on pavements unless I have PMT, but I have absolute no sympathy whatsoever either.

People park on/off the pavements outside our flat because they don't want to pay car parking charges for the beach opposite. Fucks me right off.

popcornpaws Fri 12-Jun-15 12:42:15

YANBU, you didn't actually see that it was the mobility scooter that caused the damage plus if people are parking half on pavements/roads then thats the chance they take.
Hopefully that will be one less nuisance that parks inconsiderately!

ChazzerChaser Fri 12-Jun-15 12:42:57

Yanbu . That's the risk you take if you choose to block the pavement to someone using a mobility scooter.

RackofPeas Fri 12-Jun-15 13:13:44

Yanbu. If you'd actually seen it happen then I think you should say something, but you didn't.
I don't like people who park up on the pavement, it never seems to occur to them that there are pavement users who actually need the full width of the pavement. I've had to walk in the road with my little boy in his buggy because of people like that and it annoys me.

The5DayChicken Fri 12-Jun-15 13:17:13

YANBU. I'm sick to death of having to go into the road with DD in her pram to get around inconsiderately parked cars. If she'd parked with consideration to those who should actually be using the pavements, her car would be fine.

I've often been tempted to force my pram through a too-small gap and damage the paintwork of these cars. Never actually done it but I've definitely wanted to.

Reignbeau Fri 12-Jun-15 13:17:40

YANBU. Some selfish fucker has parked a massive 4x4 mostly on the pavement on our walk to school, it hasn't moved in days. Drives me mad and I'd have no sympathy if it got damaged by someone with a wheelchair or pram who didn't want to walk in the road.

FryOneFatManic Fri 12-Jun-15 13:21:26

YANBU, I hate inconsiderate parking.

DumbledoresKnobblyWand Fri 12-Jun-15 13:21:41

I've often been tempted to force my pram through a too-small gap and damage the paintwork of these cars. Never actually done it but I've definitely wanted to.

I've had no choice before. It was either force my way through a small gap or get me and baby DD mown down on the road. The buggy scratched the car from one end to the other. I left a note explaining, but not apologising.

The5DayChicken Fri 12-Jun-15 13:25:22

You're my new hero Dumbledore grin

diddl Fri 12-Jun-15 13:31:00

If you had seen it for sure would you say something?

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Fri 12-Jun-15 13:33:06

You don't know if thats what happened so what could you say anyway?
And car owner deserves it.

Jessica2point0 Fri 12-Jun-15 13:34:02

Parking on the pavement is illegal in London, and should not be done anywhere (Highway code section 244). I wouldn't deliberately damage a car, or condone such actions, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to help someone who's car was damaged due to their inconsiderate behaviour.

There's loads of people who need the full width - people with prams, mobility scooters, wheelchairs. Blocking their way is crappy.

LurkingHusband Fri 12-Jun-15 13:41:49

There's loads of people who need the full width - people with prams, mobility scooters, wheelchairs. Blocking their way is crappy.

Worth pointing out that a pram can be pushed over a kerb quite easily. Not so easy for a wheelchair/scooter which need a dropped kerb to be able to cross the road.

So the selfish **s who park on the pavement blocking the dropped kerb in our street can create a half-mile detour for MrsLH.

MythicalKings Fri 12-Jun-15 13:48:54

If I'm honest with myself I'm fairly sure the mobility scooter caused the damage. The way NDN describes the damage it makes perfect sense, coupled together with the noise I heard.

But I'm not going to say anything, these people have been asked time and time again not to pavement park.

LovelyFriend Fri 12-Jun-15 13:51:11

On what planet would you accuse someone of something you don't know about?

Maybe your neighbour will now stop parking illegally?

Viviennemary Fri 12-Jun-15 13:55:22

You didn't see the accident so I'd just keep out of it. Whether or not you think the scooter caused the damage isn't the point. You didn't witness anything so don't get involved.

LadyWellian Fri 12-Jun-15 13:58:20

Parking on the pavement is illegal in London?

Half the streets round where I live have lines marked on the pavement for parking and you are supposed to park half on the pavement and half on the road, because the roads aren't wide enough to have cars parked down both sides otherwise.

I'm aware this is largely irrelevant to the thread, however. OP, YANBU.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Fri 12-Jun-15 14:05:21

I hate people who park on the pavements.

We are outside a school and people parking on pavements have caused the kerbs to crumble. Two years ago my ds fell on one of them and broke his arm, he was only five sad.

The council did repair it after ds's accident but I would have been able to sue them for his injury. I didn't obviously, but if the council are responsible for injuries caused by badly damaged pavements we are all paying for their behaviour.

BettyCatKitten Fri 12-Jun-15 14:19:17

I live near a school and cars are parked on the pavements along the entire road. It's so dangerous, a child was knocked down last year. Yanbu, plus you didn't see it.

LurkingHusband Fri 12-Jun-15 14:22:03

Half the streets round where I live have lines marked on the pavement for parking and you are supposed to park half on the pavement and half on the road, because the roads aren't wide enough to have cars parked down both sides otherwise.

Presumably thought, there's enough clearance between the lines and the boundaries (unless some thoughtless has let their hedge grow over the pavement) to allow a wheelchair/pram through ? Bearing in mind some of the boulevard-style roads in London (end elsewhere) have more pavements than road.

Iammad Fri 12-Jun-15 14:32:59

Cars Park where they want in my area, on pavements, on grass areas.
On my way to picking the children up I must of had to go on the road 5 times at least with baby in puschair due to bloody cars!!!

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Fri 12-Jun-15 14:33:55

OP YANBU.

It was explained to me (by a traffic warden) is subjective to a point as they will judge whether a car parked on the pavement is causing an obstruction - if it is they will ticket.

Callaird Fri 12-Jun-15 14:56:39

I live in London, out road has parking on the pavement bays. It is wide enough for a pram, disability scooter but tight with a double buggy, but as inconsiderate drivers try to squeeze through two abreast, they end up scraping cars on either side so the parkers then park further onto the pavement meaning double buggies definitely do not fit. We park in a no through side road so ours doesn't get damaged (as often!) which is a pain with an almost two year old and a boot full of shopping or luggage but cheaper than having the car replaced!!

MythicalKings Fri 12-Jun-15 15:17:48

And another thing.

There's a couple who live down the lane who are registered blind. They "feel" their way down the lane by tapping a stick on the kerb. Bloody great car in the way is a hazard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now