Talk

Advanced search

To give a fly a funeral?

(24 Posts)
TwinsetBeck Fri 12-Jun-15 08:51:00

My DD (4) woke me up this morning to tell me there was a huge dead fly in the bathroom. She is very scared of flies in general. She wasn't sure it was dead- it could be faking!

I went in- found the ridiculously huge fly- and picked it up using some loo roll.

I shouted down the stairs not to worry anymore, I was going to flush the fly down the toilet.

She screamed back at me- with full dramatics- "But what about his FAMILY!!!"

What do I do?? Full funeral with all family invited?

Mrsjayy Fri 12-Jun-15 08:58:16

Yes with tea and sandwiches for afterwards grin i would put it outside in the bin and tell her the fly family will come and get it but she cant wtch or they wont come

Icelandicsuperyoghurt Fri 12-Jun-15 09:13:03

How about giving him a sky burial. leave him on the grass in as pretty a spot as you can find. something will enjoy scoffing his corporeal remains and then his little soul can ascend into the sky. seems appropriate for a flying insect.

mugglingalong Fri 12-Jun-15 09:19:32

Minibeast funerals seem to be an occupational hazard if you are yr 3 or below. Dd will often announced dramatically that it was Freddie's funeral at lunchtime. I try to think whether I can think of any dc in the school called Freddie, did they look at all peaky, have I really been so caught up with my work that I have missed the news. The lack of appropriate response is noticed and reminded with a huff that he was the spider with three legs that Emily rescued two days ago and that they built a house for at lunchtime yesterday and Charlie knocked down crushing another two of Freddie's legs.

She will be popular in school if she can conduct a decent minibeast funeral.

microferret Fri 12-Jun-15 09:24:34

I think it's lovely that she thought of that - it shows you've raised a compassionate, empathetic child. Good work grin

Yep have a funeral. Make a tiny fly coffin and ask her to do the eulogy. It'll be a giggle for you and a good lesson on life and death for the small one. Here are some thanks for the grave.

WorraLiberty Fri 12-Jun-15 09:26:26

Chuck a handful of maggots at her and say

"Here, you can look after its kids" grin

microferret Fri 12-Jun-15 09:27:52

muggling - I love the term "minibeast funerals"! Sounds so sweet smile

TwinsetBeck Fri 12-Jun-15 09:29:46

We could have a burial at sea. Good excuse (do I need one?!) for a day at the beach.

Thanks micro ferret, I think she is rather lovely!

cozietoesie Fri 12-Jun-15 09:34:53

Please tell me that you haven't got any pets? (Or that if you have, they're looking in rude health.)

TwinsetBeck Fri 12-Jun-15 09:41:03

grin at the maggots Worra- think that would scar her for life!!

TwinsetBeck Fri 12-Jun-15 09:43:26

One very elderly cat- dreading when she passes. She is 14. Will probably have to have state funeral for her.

Though other DD (twin 4) keeps eyeing her and asking if we can have a dog...

LadyCuntingtonThe3rd Fri 12-Jun-15 09:44:41

PMSL at maggots. grin

debbriana Fri 12-Jun-15 09:45:12

I just can't stop laughing.

DorisLessingsCat Fri 12-Jun-15 09:55:25

The fly was an orphan, no siblings, wife or children.

He lived to a ripe old age and died peacefully in his sleep.

He expressly asked for a quick and simple burial in his will.

Flush the bugger.

WorraLiberty Fri 12-Jun-15 09:56:07

Though other DD (twin 4) keeps eyeing her and asking if we can have a dog...

Hahaha! Nothing wrong with a bit of forward planning! grin

Your kids sound lovely OP thanks

Mrsjayy Fri 12-Jun-15 09:58:54

Aww poor orphan fly! When our cat entered into her doteage dd2 used to eye her up and say so how long to cats live for then say can we get a rabbit shock

TwinsetBeck Fri 12-Jun-15 10:02:56

I think I will go with DorisLessingsCat suggestion- an excellent suggestion.

Thanks Worra- I'm a bit biased smile They certainly keep me entertained.

TwinsetBeck Fri 12-Jun-15 10:06:11

Mrsjayy- we have been through the bunny phase too..

And the hamster phase..

And the pony phase..

When dd1 asked for a tiger I got very nervous. She liked them because they were a bit "bites" shock

TwinsetBeck Fri 12-Jun-15 10:07:09

Sorry that should be "bitey" damn autocorrect!

DumbledoresKnobblyWand Fri 12-Jun-15 10:12:09

There's a grave in my garden with a proper headstone (well, a pebble) marked with "Rest in peace Mr. Woodlouse"

DS was sad for DAYS. Though I believe that may be in part down to the ambiguous nature of Mr. Woodlouse's untimely death. He was a little bit squashed and DS wasn't sure what possibly could have caused his squashedness, oh no grin

TwinsetBeck Fri 12-Jun-15 10:14:38

grin at Dumbledore

KurriKurri Fri 12-Jun-15 11:06:42

At least it was only a fly, if she is into elaborate funeral for dead beasts, I would warn from experience, never let her see any road kill unless you have some decent scraping tools and are not squeamish. grin <RIP Mr Hedgy>

Fatmomma99 Fri 12-Jun-15 11:17:34

[grins] at other twin!!!!

RomaFlo Fri 12-Jun-15 11:44:31

You should definitely have a traditional funeral and a 'wake' afterwards with a buffet and lots of alcohol and drunken singing of old Irish songs finished off with a punch up grin or is that just the traditional funeral in my family blush

I have a two year old DS and last week he squashed a fly by mistake whilst trying to pick it up. He was mortified and sobbed for ten minutes, just as I thought he was calming down, he stormed out into the garden and found some ants and stamped on them whilst shouting 'my killing you coz my so angry my fly is squashededed' (that's not a spelling mistake)

I've booked him in to see a child psych next week wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now