Talk

Advanced search

Not wanting my 5yr old to go on school trip

(6 Posts)
mumtoaninja Thu 11-Jun-15 14:19:55

DS (2ndh child so not a case of pfb) has not long turned 5 and is in reception.
School do a seaside trip (80 miles away) every 3 yrs with all EYFS & KS1 classes, about 90 kids in total.
When DD went on this trip 3yrs ago, I was on edge all day, watching the clock and waiting for her safe return. I suffer with anxiety which is much worse now than it was then so I know I will be a nervous wreck for the entire day DS is away...I already am just thinking about it!
AIBU to not sign the consent form and just keep him home that day? Going with the school as a volunteer isn't an option as they no longer have parents accompanying on trips.

Slippersmum Thu 11-Jun-15 14:22:34

Oh I know how you feel. I worry, even more since I have helped out on trips!! I was going to suggest you go along but can see thats not an option. Why don't they have volunteer helpers? Never heard of that, normally they need as many adults as they can get?

strawberrypenguin Thu 11-Jun-15 14:22:53

It must be horrible for you to feel like that but I think you need to look at why you would be keeping him home. Is it for his sake of yours? I bet he'd feel left out at school if all his friends are going and there will probably be project work based around the trip too. Maybe talk to the school and see if they'll make an exception and let you go along?

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Thu 11-Jun-15 14:24:18

It's a shame for your child to miss out because of your anxiety - you haven't said there is any reason why your child would be unsafe so I assume your anxiety is the only reason?

Could you explain to the person running the trip that you have anxiety but don't want your child to miss out and ask if they could text you throughout the day? Obviously they couldn't do this for every parent but I'm sure there wouldn't be many who would request it?

Hope there's a solution. flowers

RainbowFlutterby Thu 11-Jun-15 14:25:05

It's not really fair to stop your child from having a wonderfully fun day out with all his school friends because of your own anxieties.

viva100 Thu 11-Jun-15 14:34:42

I agree with Rainbow

He'll most likely have loads of fun. If you had genuine concerns about his wellbeing, it would be different. But you can't stop him doing things because of your own issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now