to keep quiet that I might of killed ndn dog

(17 Posts)
stolenview Thu 11-Jun-15 12:06:17

About two weeks ago I cut my very long grass in prep for all the vegtables I'm growing and to have less slugs. There was a load of them having a party at night so it needed something more drastic. I bought some paracites for slugs, totally safe for children but not for dogs. I forgot all about this. So when o came to water the paracite I went right up to the edges.

Found out this morning that ndn had to have their dog put down on Monday. Didn't ask any more but now I'm a bit worried it could of been me. I want to just stay quiet but do feel a bit guilty o could be to blame. Aibu to just say nothing?

DisappointedOne Thu 11-Jun-15 12:09:07

Why was their dog in your garden?

stolenview Thu 11-Jun-15 12:11:24

It wasn't,but it is just a wire fence. So could of splashed a bit on their side. That's my worry.

yolofish Thu 11-Jun-15 12:12:30

was it the nematode stuff? if so I think it shouldn't have done the dog any harm, I havent used it for a while, but I remember just watering it on and the dog and 3 cats all survived. was it an old dog?

Quills Thu 11-Jun-15 12:12:46

Is this the neighbour with the tree that you've been poisoning?

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Thu 11-Jun-15 12:13:21

Is Paracite a brand name for a slug pesticide? Presumably it also wouldn't be hedgehog or other wildlife-friendly, if not safe for dogs.

Did you ask your neighbour why he/she had to have dog put down?

stolenview Thu 11-Jun-15 12:15:00

Yes it was nematode,thanks for that put my mind at rest not sure how old, but wasn't young.

No I haven't been poisoning any trees, joked about doing that to another neighbours.

WayneRooneysHair Thu 11-Jun-15 12:22:10

Based on your other thread OP I'd say that you weren't joking about poisoing trees.

PausingFlatly Thu 11-Jun-15 12:25:30

"Solely targeting slugs, these nematodes are perfectly harmless to children, pets, and other wildlife, and pose no hazard to food crops."

KurriKurri Thu 11-Jun-15 12:26:22

My mothers dog was poisoned by slug pellets, dog was very poorly for a few days then recovered, I think a dog that had been poisoned would either recover or die, not sure that it would be necessary to have it PTS because I think they would try to give it a chance to recover.

I also think that water splashing over that had been in contact would be unlikely to be ingested but a dog, they would go for actual pellets (so if you scattered carelessly and some pellets went into the next door garden it is possible the dog got them)

But ask your neighbour otherwise you will never know - go round and say you are sorry she has lost her dog, and she will probably tell you what happened.

Do be careful though with garden chemicals - as someone said up thread you don;t want to be killing hedgehogs or other wildlife.

Signlake Thu 11-Jun-15 12:26:41

If you were using something potentially harmful for dogs and were careless when you were placing it, in regards to the boundary fence then you have been completely unreasonable and may in fact have horribly poisoned the poor dog

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Thu 11-Jun-15 12:28:36

Okay, thanks Pausing. However, in Stolen's OP, she said the 'Paracite' she used was not safe for dogs. Therefore prompting my logical question. I don't use pesticides, so am unfamiliar with the various brands.

PausingFlatly Thu 11-Jun-15 12:28:50

Usually the whole point of chosing nematodes over pellets is to avoid harm to critturs which might eat the pellets, and contamination when growing edible crops.

PausingFlatly Thu 11-Jun-15 12:30:26

Sorry, x-post Evans. Yes, hard to tell from OP - but I'm assuming it's a spelling mistake.

PausingFlatly Thu 11-Jun-15 12:31:50

And also that OP is just mistaken. But only she knows what she actually bought.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Thu 11-Jun-15 12:31:55

Okay, however I will say again that in the Opening Post, the poster starting the thread said her 'Paracite' was not safe for dogs. In which case, what she used was possibly not a nematode substance at all.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Thu 11-Jun-15 12:32:25

Ah yes - cross-posting here too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now