Talk

Advanced search

To think this doctor was a bit silly

(10 Posts)
sweetgrape Thu 11-Jun-15 10:28:29

My DD had to take my DGS to the doctors today because of earache and hay fever, while she was there she also mentioned the nose bleeds that he often gets. Doctor said to my DD "you do know how to stop them don't you" DD demonstrated what she usually does but didn't actually do it because just about anything will start off his nose bleeds. Doc then proceeded to show her by physically pinching the nose, DD said "that will start it bleeding", but he ignored her and carried on pinching. Next thing, one massive nose bleed there and then in the surgery. Doctor couldn't stop it, DD couldn't stop it.
Dd had to then take DGS out of surgery and sit in waiting room for a full 10 minutes with receptionist trying to help.
Worse nose bleed he's ever had!!
Obviously doctor didn't intend this to happen but is it unreasonable to think.... there was no actual need for this to have happened if doctor had listened to my daughter?

VanitasVanitatum Thu 11-Jun-15 10:33:14

I think that's a very unusual thing to happen, as in his nose bleeding just because it is pinched, I would be focussing on that rather than the Dr trying to show your dd how to control it?

sweetgrape Thu 11-Jun-15 10:41:49

I don't think its that unusual, I know quite a lot of kids who've had this problem. If you suffer from lots of nose bleeds as a child anything can start them off.

sweetgrape Thu 11-Jun-15 10:44:36

Dd didn't want the doctor to show her how to control it. She wanted a possible treatment to stop them. Cauterizing seems to be the way forward.

paxtecum Thu 11-Jun-15 10:51:09

At least the GP now knows how severe the nose bleeds are, so that may be useful.

alrayyan Thu 11-Jun-15 15:44:45

As a boarding house parent I can assure you that the hardcore bleeders can start a nosebleed by even thinking about the trigger situation. One of ours used to start if anyone said "minibus"grin

alrayyan Thu 11-Jun-15 15:45:51

Oh and to add, the girl that used to faint at the sight of blood would go at the mention of hardcore bleeders name...

MummyPig24 Thu 11-Jun-15 16:04:54

I think that the doctor should have listened to your dd. also, as a parent of a bleeder, I agree, anything can set them off!

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Thu 11-Jun-15 16:13:50

paxtecum has it spot on, at least they know now.

I used to get the same, I grew out of it eventually but had a good few years of people reckoning I must be a nose picker hmm

cjt110 Thu 11-Jun-15 16:18:04

Sweetgrape a school friend of mine used to get nosebleeds if you so much as looked at his nose - He had his nose(?) cauterized and it stopped.

As PP have said at least having seen how bad the bleeds are, it#s not likely to be thought your DD was exaggerating.

If a Dr did that to my DS after me asking them not to I would be pissed off so no, IMO, YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now