Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Children who go camping do better at school and are happier and healthier

(77 Posts)
Fourarmsv2 Thu 11-Jun-15 07:30:17

According to this study anyway!
www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Children-camping-better-school-happier-healthier/story-26554725-detail/story.html#1TCfzkUV22h0jRVG.99

ArcheryAnnie Thu 11-Jun-15 07:32:27

God, another thing I'm doing wrong!

(I don't drive, and can't carry enough stuff to make camping even minimally comfortable, so never go.)

Fourarmsv2 Thu 11-Jun-15 07:34:38

Eurocamp?

But yes, I agree a car is a requirement. Could you meet up with friends with a car? We've 'gone equipped' for a second family before now smile

meglet Thu 11-Jun-15 07:34:46

I doubt it's down to just camping. I expect families who camp are naturally more active.

Purplepixiedust Thu 11-Jun-15 07:34:52

What is your AIBU?

Fourarmsv2 Thu 11-Jun-15 07:35:14

Am I wrong to agree with this?

StonedGalah Thu 11-Jun-15 07:36:55

Yes you are. What a load of bollocks.

Would l hazard a guess you're a camping family?

Cooroo Thu 11-Jun-15 07:37:17

If you read the article, it's based on parents' opinions! So pretty worthless. No objective measuring of achievement, no compensating for other factors such as wealth etc. My DD went camping quite a lot and hopefully will get decent A2s (fingers tightly crossed) but I wouldn't dream of correlating the two!

Cheesenredonion Thu 11-Jun-15 07:38:20

Sod all to do with camping. It's the fact that despite what some claim, camping requires a reasonable level of affluence - it's cheap, ONCE you have all the gear. And parents who enjoy spending time cooped up with a child will probably enjoy talking to it, reading to it and educating it.

I hate camping.

sanfairyanne Thu 11-Jun-15 07:40:15

lol wondered who believed that kind of crap

Rugbylovingmum Thu 11-Jun-15 07:40:46

It only says that parents who take their children camping believe it has a positive effect on their education. I'm sure it does but no more than lots of other activities you do with them. It says that they learn skills, learn about nature and have a chance to run around free - a day out in a nature reserve, woods or beach would do that too. Especially if you have a BBQ/campfire at the end of the day. We take the girls camping a few times a year and they love it but i never camped with my parents and don't feel I missed out.

Sgtmajormummy Thu 11-Jun-15 07:40:51

I think in our case the mother's attitude would negate all possible benefits. Probably scar them for life!

Eversobusyeveryday Thu 11-Jun-15 07:40:57

Oh god, my children are doomed as there is not a hope in this lifetime that we will ever take them camping. I genuinely can't think of many things I would less like to do and yes, I have dive it before and don't need to subject any of us to it again

bolleauxnouveau Thu 11-Jun-15 07:43:45

Ha ha.That's because school seems like a warm,dry,spacious haven in comparison. And I love camping.

HeadDreamer Thu 11-Jun-15 07:46:18

Great I'm doomed as I hate camping.

MrsHathaway Thu 11-Jun-15 07:46:20

Yy Meg - correlation does not imply causation.

hobnobsaremyfave Thu 11-Jun-15 07:48:49

Does caravanning count?
My little cherubs couldn't possibly cope with a.....<shudders> .. Tent?

Taz1212 Thu 11-Jun-15 07:48:50

It's quite possibly true but tough luck for my DC because I can't stand camping. At least I imagine that I can't stand camping!

Egosumquisum Thu 11-Jun-15 07:54:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WaferInMyCoffee Thu 11-Jun-15 07:54:53

Does it have to be camping with family?! My kids go camping with guides/scouts, I wonder if that counts... We go to a caravan too. Also a car less family here so camping impossible...

Plus I think it is probably bollocks.

TeenAndTween Thu 11-Jun-15 07:56:11

I came here to write something but Ego beat me to it!

This is why statistics should be taught in schools more (maybe in place of circle theorems or something).

Egosumquisum Thu 11-Jun-15 07:57:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

babybythesea Thu 11-Jun-15 08:00:50

Excellent news. I am taking my 6 and 2 yo girls camping this summer. I shall enrol them in Mensa immediately on our return.

SillyStuffBiting Thu 11-Jun-15 08:03:55

I find it hard to imagine a childhood without camping.

abigamarone Thu 11-Jun-15 08:05:24

I loved it when we went camping one year, the kids were NOT happy and outright refuse to go again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now