Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think we might have a wasps' nest

(8 Posts)
StarlingMurmuration Wed 10-Jun-15 17:26:17

Just moved into a new home, and we keep finding wasps in the bathroom - several over the last few days, and four today. Sometimes we have the bathroom window open, but after I found the first two this morning, I shut the bathroom window and still found a couple more just now. We do have the bedroom windows open on the same floor, but haven't found any wasps in those rooms. Is it likely that wasps might come into through the bedroom windows and then gravitate to the bathroom? AIBU to think we might have a wasps' nest in the loft above the bathroom? And would we have trouble getting it removed, as it's a three floor house and the bathroom is on the top floor?

Homemadeapplepie Wed 10-Jun-15 17:30:23

We had the same problem in our old flat-nest in the roof space above the bathroom and wasps in the bathroom but nowhere else. I think the council removed it, yours might or you might have to get Rentokil out.

StarlingMurmuration Wed 10-Jun-15 17:33:08

Thanks for replying, Homemade. It's a rented property, would it be the responsibility of the landlord, do you think?

chlo95 Wed 10-Jun-15 21:08:08

Hi, we thought we had this problem last week but apparently it's the wrong time of year for wasps, they're more likely to be mortar bees which look like wasps but their sting is so mild it can't penetrate the skin. Google them and see if they look like the mortar bee ☺️

chlo95 Wed 10-Jun-15 21:10:05

And if they are mortar bees you need to inform the landlord as they can cause structural damage to the property. If they turn out to be wasps then it depends where they are, if it's on the outside of the house and the contract says you're responsible for maintenance and garden repairs etc you might be responsible for removing it but the council will do it for roughly £50. If it's in the loft it's likely the landlords responsibility

StarlingMurmuration Fri 12-Jun-15 17:16:06

Thanks, chlo. I don't think they are mortar bees, they definitely look more like wasps. But we haven't had any more since Tuesday so I'm trying no tot worry about it!

Nottalotta Fri 12-Jun-15 17:21:37

We get a wasps nest in the stable every bloody year. They are around for the whole summer so i don't think its the wrong time for them. Phone council/pest control. They will easily come and deal with it.

DragonMamma Fri 12-Jun-15 17:25:28

I had a wasps nest in between the eaves of the kitchen/bathroom this time last year. I came home one day to dozens of wasps in the bathroom and kitchen.

I called my home insurance and they sent Rentokil out. The council would have come out but they had a 48hr turnaround and it happened over a weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now