Talk

Advanced search

To want a decent bra fitting

(24 Posts)
ninaaa Wed 10-Jun-15 12:26:10

I currently wear a 30D, but have changed shape and it no longer fits. I went out shopping yesterday to buy some new bras. I'm usually about a size 8/10 on top, and don't have particularly large boobs, they are wide set.

I was fitted in two shops (not going to name and shame) and was given the verdict:
Shop A: 30DD/28E
Shop B: 32B

I came away with no bras, because shop A's felt too tight (they left red marks) and shop B's were too loose at the back, but spilling out the sides.

How can two shops give such different sizes? And can anyone recommend a good place to get a decent fitting, with relatively inexpensive bras? (I have heard good things about Rigby and Pellar, alas they are out of my price range)

goodasitgets Wed 10-Jun-15 12:28:16

Have you been to bravissimo? What doesn't fit about your current bras? (Band, cup, shape?)

goodasitgets Wed 10-Jun-15 12:28:48

Oh and red marks aren't to be too worried about, my bras mark me like a tight jeans waistband or socks smile

Bue Wed 10-Jun-15 12:34:23

One word: Bravissimo.

Why don't you want to name and shame? It helps people give advice.

WanderWomble Wed 10-Jun-15 12:41:05

What brands did you try? Some of them fit small, others run big.

legolegolego Wed 10-Jun-15 12:46:01

Can I ask a really stupid question.. Do Bravissimo do fittings well for smaller busts? I've heard great things about them for the larger ladies but I don't know of anyone small who has been for a fitting (and I would like to go)

Red marks are a fairly normal thing, and bras stretch very quickly so I personally tend to buy on the snugger side because I know that two wears in they'll have stretched! I'm inclined to think you should probably be starting at the 30DD range but looking for wide shallow cups like some Curvy Kates or the Freya Patsy and similar cups.

Bravissimo start at a D/DD cup - which can be quite petite when fitted properly. If you measure yourself the MN way then that would give you a rough idea of your size so you'd have a ballpark for whether you were in their range or not.

Uhplistrailer Wed 10-Jun-15 13:39:05

This sounds odd. I'm a size 12-14 and wear a size 32 band.

Have you tried doing it yourself? There are a lot of great YouTube tutorials on how to do it.

Bras should be fairly snug on the loosest hook to begin with, as they're designed to stretch themselves out.

TriJo Wed 10-Jun-15 13:54:22

I'd argue that the first shop is in the right region but there are shape incompatibilities. Try more styles and maybe post a fit check on the A Bra That Fits subreddit. I'm a 30FF and generally around a 10, and there are certain styles I can't touch with a ten foot bargepole due to the shape of my boobs - I'm quite projected and full on top, Panache Envy/Jasmine is my Bra Of The Gods.

Red marks are normal, anything with elastic will leave light ones - even your socks!

CookPassBabtrigde Wed 10-Jun-15 14:07:36

I know what you mean OP.
I've only ever had 2 bra fittings and had completely different sizes quoted at me.
First was 32D which was clearly too big though she wouldn't hear differently.
Second while I was pregnant was 30B and she joked that I "didn't have much to put in it did I" "need to grow something to bf with haha" with a smirk on her face. They've shrunk smaller since bf.
So to be honest I'm put off trying again and am currently wearing sports bras. But I'm watching with interest to see if anyone can recommend somewhere good for a fitting for someone with "not much to put in one" and where they won't be quite so sarcastic!

ninaaa Wed 10-Jun-15 14:11:26

Shop A: It didn't just leave red marks, it felt painfully tight and uncomfortable to wear.

I've tried measuring myself, came out as a 32C.

Also is it normal to bend over when fitting bras? Shop A had me bend over, shop B didn't

ninaaa Wed 10-Jun-15 14:13:21

I just tried measuring again, came out as a 30DD this time. confused

IcaMorgan Wed 10-Jun-15 14:17:00

Measure under your bust, lean forwards and measure the biggest part. The difference between the two is the cup size (1" per cup size)

ninaaa Wed 10-Jun-15 14:19:05

N.B. those figures were with exactly the same measurements, just different website calculators

www.85b.org/bra_calc.php says I'm a 32C

www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html says I'm a 30DD

(below 27 in, bust 35 in)

SorrelForbes Wed 10-Jun-15 14:24:10

Step away from the on-line calculators grin, they are invariably wrong as they use the outdated +4/5" method of calculating the under bust size.

Follow this guide for how to measure correctly. If you're measurements are 27/35 then you need to look for 28E or thereabouts.

IcaMorgan Wed 10-Jun-15 14:24:55

With a 27 under bust you would only be a 28 band so try around 28F (you might need to go up or down a cup size)

Try the bra on backwards to start with, on the loosest hooks, and if it feels ok then work from the cup size til you find the one that feels comfortable

If you have been wearing too big a back size it will feel snug to start with

0x530x610x750x630x79 Wed 10-Jun-15 14:32:51

bend over is correct, shop a is the better shop

Katedotness1963 Wed 10-Jun-15 14:33:12

another bra fitting site...

www.sizemapp.com/en/tutorial

MonstrousRatbag Wed 10-Jun-15 14:34:19

I have found Bravissimo fit things very tightly. Rigby & Peller do a better fit but there aren't many branches.

m0therofdragons Wed 10-Jun-15 14:37:04

John lewis is the only place I can go -32E. Would try bravissimo but none close by.

The best shops don't need to use a tape measure and fit by eye - obviously we can't do that online - and you should bend forward and drop your breasts in to a bra.

What size have you been wearing?

this guide is how to measure yourself at home

LadyPenny Wed 10-Jun-15 14:41:31

You don't need to go to a shop. Follow the guide that SorrelForbes has posted.
I did and went from a 36DD to a 34F and I'm gutted I didn't do it years ago.

My breasts are in the right place now, my bras feel a 100% more comfortable. I actually look smaller up top now as my old bras were sgidging everthing together giving me a huge cleavage which I hated.

OhEmGeee Wed 10-Jun-15 14:48:56

Bravissimo. I cannot stress how wonderful they are enough! No measuring, they just look at you.

Go there! Now! Go!

SorrelForbes Wed 10-Jun-15 15:21:20

Urghh, your

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now