Aibu to tell my mum not to put opium on a 2yo?!

(34 Posts)
AliBingo Wed 10-Jun-15 12:09:31

Just been swimming and sat in the pub for lunch, she has just made a big thing about putting her beloved opium eau de parfum on and does DD want some, I said no it's too strong but she ignored me and encouraged DD and offered again saying it's lovely and girls wear perfume, and so now DD is plastered in the stuff and reeks!

I have to admit I'm not a fan of such a heavy perfume in the day anyway which might be adding yo my annoyance.

Grr!

So Aibu or is my mother?!

TarkaTheOtter Wed 10-Jun-15 12:10:15

As a one off, what's the harm?

AliBingo Wed 10-Jun-15 12:13:50

I suppose no harm I just hate the smell especially on DD. Probably mostly pissed off that she pushed it and went ahead when I asked her not to.

hhhhhhh Wed 10-Jun-15 12:13:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

liquidrevolution Wed 10-Jun-15 12:16:54

YANBU she undermined you in front of your daughter.

Also Opium is yucky. I dont know anyone under the age of 60 that wears it.

TarkaTheOtter Wed 10-Jun-15 12:18:10

True Ali that would piss me off too and I hate the smell of Opium.

My dd would LOVE it though so I'd probably let it slide.

GobblersKnob Wed 10-Jun-15 12:21:30

Agree, I would hate it, but dd would love it, so I would smile and ignore.

AliBingo Wed 10-Jun-15 13:06:33

Am smiling and letting it go, good advice. She just drives me mad trying to take over all the time and can be quite difficult too. Oh well. DD is enjoying herself at least.

RhiWrites Wed 10-Jun-15 13:07:52

If perfume then YABU, if real opium then not. wink

Mamus Wed 10-Jun-15 13:16:45

I'd be pissed off at 1)someone overruling my parenting decisions and 2) "girls wear perfume" angry.
But before I opened this I thought you somehow meant actual opium so am glad that's not the case!

CreepyLittleBat Wed 10-Jun-15 13:20:21

I thought you meant actual opium....now that WBU!

steff13 Wed 10-Jun-15 13:21:01

They still make Opium?

19lottie82 Wed 10-Jun-15 13:23:09

"eau de parfum" is a very concentrated form of perfume. definitely not a good idea for a 2 year olds sensitive skin.

DawnOfTheDoggers Wed 10-Jun-15 13:31:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Soduthen116 Wed 10-Jun-15 13:37:11

Not all 2 year olds have sensitive skin though to they.

I think you are both unreasonable. Op you are being a bit controlling unless your dd has skin issues what's the harm. Surely the perfume reminds you if your own mother as yardley does of mine.

Your mother shouldn't have ignored your request however precious and daft.

Bet your dd will love playing you off against each other as she gets older though. wink

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Wed 10-Jun-15 13:39:43

Another one who thought you meant actual opium!

Trufflethewuffle Wed 10-Jun-15 13:49:04

Brought back memories - my mum used to love this back in the 80s. Dad decided to get her some but had a bit of a blank once he got into Boots.

Then he thought he'd remembered the right name. Apparently it was a bit embarrassing as he asked the assistant if they sold cocaine!

Toffeelatteplease Wed 10-Jun-15 13:56:14

Pet hate.
Don't care if it is rational or not.

Just don't do it is totally unnecessary dollification
(I think I made up that word)

AliBingo Wed 10-Jun-15 13:57:41

Ahh lol not actual opium!

Yeah I guess there's loads of back story and opium reminds me of horrible times as mum wasn't very good to us in the past.

And just one of many parenting things she fights me on like bringing stacks of chocolate and fruit shoots round all the time. The opium just touched a nerve cos I hate the stench! It's been great to vent on here.

AliBingo Wed 10-Jun-15 13:58:22

Lol at cocaine, and yes yes re dollification.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 10-Jun-15 14:05:18

Opium is very heavy so I wouldn't like it, but a small dab of perfume is probably thrillingly grown up for a small child smile

Toffeelatteplease Wed 10-Jun-15 14:09:38

putting aside the dollification side, some people just don't get how vile smelling perfume can be to someone who doesn't like it.

A relative used to do this to DD. this particular perfume was so strong it made me want to puke and would give me a violent migraine. I'd go to hug her and physically recoil. often I could still smell it on her the next day and after two showers.

Perfumes don't belong in restaurants or any confined space. Its just selfish.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 10-Jun-15 14:09:49

That stuff reeks, I'd be scrubbing it off at the first opportunity.

Lavenderice Wed 10-Jun-15 14:28:45

As a one off I don't think it's an issue, just an I want to be like granny moment. When I was a child my mother wore Opium and I hated the smell, but now I wear Black Opium every day.

ConferencePear Wed 10-Jun-15 14:40:40

Opium should be banned in all eateries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now