Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be grumpy with my OH for going to a funeral?

(115 Posts)
Kookookichoo Tue 09-Jun-15 20:19:38

It's someone who is really close to his sister, he never professed a desire to see her in life and now he wants to make a 3 day round trip to attend the funeral. I've said no to me and the kids going (we'd met her once) but he still wants to. I can't say no but its making me really grumpy!

firesidechat Tue 09-Jun-15 20:20:49

Has he ever met her or know her well?

Yarp Tue 09-Jun-15 20:20:52

Why are you grumpy?

Can you explain a bit more?

firesidechat Tue 09-Jun-15 20:23:05

Just seen that you have met her, so presumably your husband has too. So just how well does he know her - distant friend, vague acquaintance?

ImperialBlether Tue 09-Jun-15 20:23:53

Is he treating it like a little holiday?

christmasmum Tue 09-Jun-15 20:25:05

In my opinion, sometimes you don't go to a funeral for the deceased, you go for the people who are grieving, to show them support during their crisis. If his sister is very upset he may want to be there for her.

RiverTam Tue 09-Jun-15 20:25:39

Well, funerals are about the living so perhaps he's going to support his sister?

RiverTam Tue 09-Jun-15 20:26:16

Xpost with Christm

Kookookichoo Tue 09-Jun-15 20:34:30

I fear he is treating like a holiday. He'd met her a few times but we had plenty of opportunities to see her in life and he never wanted to. The point about hi sister is true, he probably does want to be there for her. I'm grumpy because I'll have to change my plans for three days and look after two small children on my own, and I think he is treating it a bit like a mini holiday. He'll have to use up holiday time for it as he wont get compassionate leave. I know I should feel more understanding, an I do really feel for his sister, but she's got loads of people to support her. Oh god, I probably ABU!

Yarp Tue 09-Jun-15 20:37:36

If you went would you be able to get anything out of it or would that be worse?

BathtimeFunkster Tue 09-Jun-15 20:38:52

YANBU

Travelling for 3 days for the funeral of someone you barely knew is ridiculous.

Unless he's very close to a member of her immediate family (that's what "being there for the living" means. Not just showing up because you know someone else attending.)

It's outrageous to treat a funeral as a holiday.

And it's shit to use up holiday time and leave your spouse alone with children unless it's the funeral of some you were very, very close to.

Send a condolence card and some flowers.

RiverTam Tue 09-Jun-15 20:39:01

It's fair enough to feel grumpy to have to change things last minute but it'll be fine when it happens, and it's good karma!

googoodolly Tue 09-Jun-15 20:39:30

How would you feel if he told you he didn't want YOU to attend a funeral?

TwinkieTwinkle Tue 09-Jun-15 20:40:13

I think getting grumpy over someone wanting to go to a funeral is pretty unreasonable.

ImperialBlether Tue 09-Jun-15 20:43:32

googoodolly, do you think he's reasonable, then?

crazyoldfish Tue 09-Jun-15 20:44:40

I lost a very close friend last year. It was awful. All my family came to the funeral even my BIL who had only met her once. Parents of friends of ours came (even when the friend couldn't). It helped. It was still awful but the effort and support of everyone helped.

Kookookichoo Tue 09-Jun-15 20:45:08

I know googoodolly, I would feel justifiably outraged, which is why I was concerned IABU. I haven't said he can't go, but there has been a bit of lip pursing and "I suppose if it really means that much to you"ing. I don't think I can justify taking the kids out of school and nursery, esp as I think I would have to lie about it being someone close (school gets grumpy about a dentists appointment!). I also wouldn't feel right being there when I literally met her once for five minutes.

BathtimeFunkster Tue 09-Jun-15 20:47:04

I think getting grumpy over someone wanting to go to a funeral is pretty unreasonable.

No matter what??

Jaysus, you should have married my great Uncle Jim.

Loved a funeral he did - all that free booze and food and reminiscing about people you barely knew.

Even his wife would have drawn the line at a 3 day jolly to celebrate mourn the death of people he barely knew.

Drquin Tue 09-Jun-15 20:48:24

This might be a "pick your battles" time.

If all else in life is rosy, I wouldn't begrudge him a couple of days at a funeral. Grief (or supporting those who are grieving) isn't a measurable thing, it's not top trumps. So, if you've no real reason to object, I'd hide the grumpy face, help him pack and ask him to pass on my condolences to his sister / the friend's family.

OTOH, if this is costing money you really don't have, or it means he doesn't have enough leave left for your family holiday, or something else, then fair enough to be grumpy and / or object to him going.

TwinkieTwinkle Tue 09-Jun-15 20:51:19

Bathtime If someone feels that they need to attend the funeral then that is their call, it is not for someone else to call into question. People react differently do death. Even if OP doesn't feel that her DH knew this person well enough to make the trip for the funeral, that is not up to her.

Where has this lack of empathy come from in people? This cold, hard attitude where if someone doesn't understand something then it is unreasonable.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 09-Jun-15 20:54:53

"I'll have to change my plans for three days and look after two small children on my own"

Is that such a hardship being as they are, in fact, your children?

YABU

SociallyAwkward Tue 09-Jun-15 20:56:15

YANBU, and the reason I say that is because it's a 3 day trip and you feel he's using it as a mini holiday.

Would he be as keen to go if all it necessitated was 2 hours out of work?

RiverTam Tue 09-Jun-15 20:56:36

Bathtime, did you not read Crazy's post? It can really help the grieving if their friends and family can be with them, even if they didn't know the deceased themselves.

BathtimeFunkster Tue 09-Jun-15 20:57:34

Even if OP doesn't feel that her DH knew this person well enough to make the trip for the funeral, that is not up to her.

If they share money and children, then yes it is up to her if her money and time is going to be spent on going.

People die all the time.

There are funerals of close friends and family that you pull out all the stops for.

And then there are ones that you go to if they are nearby.

Taking 3 days out of your life to go to the funeral of someone you weren't close to when you have small children is a pisstake.

Although I can see why he's trying to exploit the funeral angle when there are people who think it is a free pass to partying.

LIZS Tue 09-Jun-15 20:59:41

Maybe her death represents losing an association with his younger days. Even if she had been more of a friend of his sister. It may ave pulled him up short and want to reconnect with Family and friends . Yabu to moan about looking after your own dc and sound somewhat unsympathetic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now