Talk

Advanced search

To think Year 5 is a bit of a nightmare?

(89 Posts)
WyrdByrd Tue 09-Jun-15 20:06:47

DD is in Yr 5 (thank God only 6 weeks to go).

The last 8 months just seem to have been very niggly in terms of school, development, friendships in particular & general drama.

It's ringing a vague bell with me that this year group/age has a reputation for being particularly hellish and just wondered if anyone else is experiencing/has experienced the same thing & when it settles down.

Apparently their Head of Year has had words with them today because as a year group she is fed up of their constant unnecessary/OTT 'fussing' shock confused .

poorbuthappy Tue 09-Jun-15 20:09:03

Yep. Friendship circles have changed more times than we've had hot dinners this year. Tis wearing trying to keep up.

ilikebaking Tue 09-Jun-15 20:09:27

Just wait until year six. They really take the biscuit...

MyPastLife Tue 09-Jun-15 20:11:37

Oh my giddy aunt - aged 11 (year 5) will go down as being the year from beyond - looking forward to next year

WyrdByrd Tue 09-Jun-15 20:11:44

Really? It gets worse?

Fuck me sad !

ChuffinAda Tue 09-Jun-15 20:11:53

Yup it's all downhill from here to teendom

Yarp Tue 09-Jun-15 20:14:15

I found it was a tumultuous year for both of my boys.

Friendship issues, rise in competitiveness, hormonal stuff starting with some of the girls, insecurity as they realise they are going into year 6, allied with a bit of arrogance about that.

Year 6 was better for both of mine, both much happier, settled and confident. Then as a group they go a bit mad just before and after SATS - get a bit big for their boots/worried about the next stage

Yarp Tue 09-Jun-15 20:15:50

Chuffin

I haven't found that at all! DS1 is nearly 15 and has been easier, calmer, more organised and sensible since he's been as Secondary - aware I've got a few years left (so fingers crossed). DS2 is 12 and more stereotypically teenaged, but nothing compared to toddlerhood

MrsNextDoor Tue 09-Jun-15 20:16:00

Year 6 has been utterly dreadful in some ways. The girls seem to be split into two distinct groups ...those who are on social media and have "boyfriends" and those who don't and who still play.

It's hard.

Yarp Tue 09-Jun-15 20:16:40

Chuffin - you talking about girls?

ashtrayheart Tue 09-Jun-15 20:18:01

Year 5 onwards was awful for dd1. Year 9 was another particularly bad year hmm

sunseeker66 Tue 09-Jun-15 20:18:41

My dd had an awful time in year 6, they were so ready for high school.

Year 7 and Year 8 have not been much better. All the girls still seem to be squabbling.

I have learnt now that it probably bothers me more than dd.

WyrdByrd Tue 09-Jun-15 20:19:12

<<sobs into vat of wine>>

We've got the revolving doors friendship situation a go go here big time, plus hormones and everything is a major drama that I have to be regaled with in minute detail at turbo speed.

She was most put out about the HoY saying what she did & even less impressed with my agreeing with her.

She's a great kid tbf but it's just exhausting.

BabyGanoush Tue 09-Jun-15 20:22:19

For our boys Y5 and 6 were great.

Friendships solid, confidence grows...

ChuffinAda Tue 09-Jun-15 20:23:05

Yes I'm talking about girls grin

ashtrayheart Tue 09-Jun-15 20:24:01

I will probably get shouted at but I think the friendship issues are more prevalent with girls.

Mistigri Tue 09-Jun-15 20:24:40

We found it got much better after Y5. Lots of silly falling out between 9/10 year olds in Y5 but a massive improvement the 2-3 years after that. Then Y9 was a bit more difficult but now (Y10) all the girls seem very grown up and DD's class get on pretty well.

Mistigri Tue 09-Jun-15 20:26:17

And yes, boy friendships are very different. DS is in Y8 and so far so good.

sunseeker66 Tue 09-Jun-15 20:26:38

I turned into a councillor in year 6.

I bought my dd a book, can't remember what it was called now, but it talked through cliques, wannabies and other bad behaviour.

It did help dd to understand why other girls were so mean, but I agree it is horrible!

Yarp Tue 09-Jun-15 20:27:48

Chuffin Ah - I wonder if boys and girls have difficult times at different ages

ChuffinAda Tue 09-Jun-15 20:28:58

Probably yarp I've noticed it's y5 where the differences between boys and girls really show

Yarp Tue 09-Jun-15 20:30:36

ashtray

We had them with my boys in year 5 - DS1s were about them realising they'd actually not always got a lot in common. DS2s were actually about competition for girls!

I think that it's a good idea for classes to be mixed up throughout Primary. It's hard to be stuck with the same people for that long

Yarp Tue 09-Jun-15 20:31:59

I am a TA

The only striking difference I'd say is that girls discuss who is friends with who a lot more. I think boys feel it but don't necessarily voice it

Babyroobs Tue 09-Jun-15 20:36:55

There have been quite a few problem's in my dd's year 5 group but more so in the other class than hers, mainly girls falling out and the boys running riot scrapping etc !!. I do fear though that because of the problems this year they will mix up the 2 classes for yr 6 ( They have been in with the same class groups since reception). My dd has generally loved yr 5 though ,they seem to have done loads of sporty things and lots of bike road safety course etc. For the first time the whole class has also learned to play the clarinet free of charge and they have put on little concerts. She has had a great year overall, which I think is nice before yr 6 which seems to be more pressurised with SATS etc.

Muskey Tue 09-Jun-15 20:44:13

I found year 3 a nightmare with friendship issues for DD after that things got gradually better with year 6 quite pleasant indeed with only a few little wobbles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now