Advanced search

Housing associations succession rules

(8 Posts)
b584 Tue 09-Jun-15 19:11:27

Just been on the phone to my housing associatian to find out how I could add my dd to my tenancy, I have been a single mum for the lat 20 years so the tenancy is just in my name,

DD is 22, works full time and pays her way, ds is 19 and still at college, I wanted to put her on the tenancy because if anything happens to me I want them to still have a roof over their head, I pay full rent and she could manage that if i was not there,

Been thinking of doing it for a while now but a friend popped in this week and mentioned that as he had moved into his gf's council house they had added him to the tenancy but it will take a year to be legal/proper, fair enough.

Thought I had better sort mine as anything could happen but turns out I can't add her because she is my daughter, A partner living here for a year can be added but not her, Is this the normal procedure or just my HA rules?

Jacana Tue 09-Jun-15 19:37:47

My h/a allows one succession to a rel or partner who has been living there full time for over a year, if they themselves are over 18yrs.of age.

When my friend in her 50s died, suddenly and unexpectedly, a few years ago, she left an 18yr old daughter, who was able to take on the tenancy(18 is the lowest legal age to do it).

The actual documentation doesn't take a year to validate, it's a quick visit to your estate office, I think that the year refers to the amount of time the putative new tenant needs to be a resident to qualifysmile

I think that for your peace of mind you should speak to your h/a directly to get their policy directly from them.

Jacana Tue 09-Jun-15 19:43:14

Sorry, see that your info came from a h/o. Seems that different h/as can make their own rules?hmm

scott2609 Tue 09-Jun-15 19:47:47

This really depends on the terms of your tenancy and security of tenure, and is something you would require specific legal advice about rather than answers on here. Shelter would be able to give you advice about this.

Some succession advice here:

Helpline number here:

b584 Tue 09-Jun-15 21:08:43

Thank you for your replies, I will look further into it, Was told on the phone that If anything happens to me then she can apply for tennacy but it is not garanteed,

They both might be long gone before I die but you never know, Just wanted to make sure they didn't lose their home as well as their mum.

Birdsgottafly Tue 09-Jun-15 21:22:55

I enquired about my DD being added to my tenancy, when she turns 18, but was told the same as you.

My DD has LDs and I wanted her to have the right to be housed locally, if I died, I'm widowed.

The ideal senario would be her being offered one of the better flats because she would give up a three bed house. She knows the bus routes, shops etc.

Apparently, this is the policy across my LAs.

It also means that once a parent of a disabled adult no longer gets CB, they don't count for HB claims, in the same way that they used to.

I know a few people stuck out of work, because they can't earn enough to replace benefits, but if their disabled non dependant could claim their portion of the rent, it would make a big difference.

I'm in Liverpool were rents are low, but so are earnings.

missymayhemsmum Tue 09-Jun-15 21:29:35

Check the policy, but the HA will look at it as you had the house to bring your kids up in, if your kids are grown up and not priority needs then they have a long list of single mums needing somewhere to bring up their kids, and as single adults your kids could rent elsewhere. If everyone who had a tenancy was able to pass it on down the family there would be no vacancies ever, after all.

ReginaBlitz Wed 10-Jun-15 23:49:42

Agree. I think they are well within their rights as your house will be in demand for families etc. They will re house your daughter to a single persons property.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: