To feel sorry for the Naked Rambler.

(197 Posts)
BlossomTang Tue 09-Jun-15 18:35:52

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-33063397 in jail again for the same thing - it must be obvious to the authorities that there is a MH issue, but seems there is nothing they can/want to do. It's not like he is Russell Brand and does it for the attention!

On his first TV programme where he walked the length of Britain (with his then GF) naked he seemed fairly sane but the GF realised getting chased by the public or arrested was not worth the cause - but he cannot see this. Subsequent programmes did suggest MH issues - does he just yo-yo in and out of jail for the rest of his life?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Jun-15 18:37:47

He's a brave man if he's naked in prison 24/7.

pettywitchinlondon Tue 09-Jun-15 18:40:47

Well no he wears clothes inside, he's not a nudist.

I feel sorry for his children.

Seems silly to lock up just for not wearing clothes. Its not like he's wanking in public

KentonArcher Tue 09-Jun-15 18:42:42

He comes from my town (outed!) and I'm afraid I didn't want to have to explain to my young children what they were seeing and why. He couldn't understand others points of view and refused to wear clothes. What else should/could be done?

FishCanFly Tue 09-Jun-15 18:42:51

I always wonder -- doesn't he get cold? Its Britain, not Greece

dillydottydally Tue 09-Jun-15 18:43:36

I have sympathy with the poor man. He doesn't appear to have pervy intentions. However I am a bit of a secret naturist so I kind of get where he is coming from. He is now showing signs of MH issues so surely prison is inappropriate. I don't know how they can stop him though.

dillydottydally Tue 09-Jun-15 18:45:19

Kenyon - I don't know what you mean about explaining to your kids though. It is only a body.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 09-Jun-15 18:47:10

Well,he's been told often enough what he's doing isn't acceptable so it's his choice if he wants to be in prison again. I don't want to see him walking around stark bollock naked thank you very!

stareatthetvscreen Tue 09-Jun-15 18:47:45

he comes from my home town too

i do have sympathy for him - nothing wrong with being naked smile

weren't all those cyclists naked the other day?

hedgehogsdontbite Tue 09-Jun-15 18:47:46

YABU He's an arrogant man who cares about nobody's feelings but his own. I saw one film with him where his naked path took him right past a school at turning out time. The film maker suggested he went down the next road instead to avoid causing any alarm. He point blank refused even though it made no difference to him. He came across as very much as 'I'll do what I want, when I want and fuck everyone else'.

GloGirl Tue 09-Jun-15 18:48:00

I read an article written by his ex wife. His actions have been extremely damaging to his children.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 09-Jun-15 18:48:00

MUCH! ( too busy hoiking my bosom to finish typing wink)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 09-Jun-15 18:49:13

Hedge - I remember that. Up until then I had some sympathy.

griselda101 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:50:30

i think it's all very well making a point and doing it a few times to raise awareness, but come on, he should know better by now, it's against the law, and surely there's a better way of making a protest?

Babymamamama Tue 09-Jun-15 18:52:54

Saw him once in the 1990s. Was staying in a very remote cottage on grower peninsula in the middle of a turnip field. He rambled past as I was doing the washing up. Most unexpected and I hadn't heard of him at the time.

MollieCoddler Tue 09-Jun-15 18:58:01

Yes I feel sorry for him. I don't feel he is arrogant so much as ill.

BlossomTang Tue 09-Jun-15 19:01:50

hedge what I recall from that episode when approaching the school was that he could not see the issue with walking straight on past the school at going home time - even through the interviewer was telling him he would get arrested - missing these cues I saw autistic traits there rather than bloody mindedness. I agree that he should not have gone past the school but jail is just a way of keeping him out of the way.

jokinnear Tue 09-Jun-15 19:02:10

what messed up world is it where you get sent to prison for walking naked 'ooh but I don't want to have to explain it to my kids' 'ooh he walked past a school'.

Hidingmyidentity Tue 09-Jun-15 19:02:41

He isn't naked when he walks though. He wears boots, socks & a hat. Perfectly able to wear items of clothing that he wants but refuses to cover his genitals.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 09-Jun-15 19:03:31

Hiding - quite!

VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Jun-15 19:03:43

In that article it said he refused to go to court unless he could be naked. Msi they did it via video with him appearing from prison, naked.

Pepperpot99 Tue 09-Jun-15 19:05:24

I don't feel sorry for him. He did a long interview with the Guardian a couple of years ago and he came out of it looking like a total attention seeker. His campaign is pointless and doesn't prove anything at all- it's so pathetic. He has made laughing stocks of his entire family and cost the police and courts hundreds of thousands of pounds in case after case.

it really is not ok to walk around naked regardless of who is around. If either of my dds had to walk past him they would feel threatened and I would regard it as flashing.

The fact that he wears clothes when he's banged up in prison speaks volumes about his deception and attention cravings. The man is a real loser.

Notso Tue 09-Jun-15 19:06:15

I didn't want to have to explain to my young children what they were seeing and why.

Do you never allow them to look at their own naked bodies then?
Surely it's simple that man is naked, because he wants to be. confused

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Tue 09-Jun-15 19:06:24

I must admit I thought the laws around nudity in the UK were to do with sex stuff - obscene acts and stuff - than the actual nudity.

I can't see any harm in what he's doing at all it's only skin. He's not doing anything pervy and the intent isn't to be pervy so really what's the problem.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 09-Jun-15 19:08:01

I agree pepper - it all about attention and nothing about nudity. His poor family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now