Talk

Advanced search

Cars in traffic jams taking up the width of the road blocking cyclists

(18 Posts)
Incandescentage Tue 09-Jun-15 18:32:11

Aibu to think that car drivers should get off the road and stop jamming up city roads and slowing cyclists down?

Should they not pull over and let cyclists get going rather than holding up their journey. It's so frustrating when there's queues of traffic and I am held up for a couple of minutes trying to navigate around them.

Couldn't cars be more considerate and at least jam up in a straight line so there would be free space for cyclists to filter through.

Disclaimer:reverse thread about a thread. Lighthearted, look at things from another point of view?

GERTI Tue 09-Jun-15 18:52:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VikingVolva Tue 09-Jun-15 18:54:40

Yes.

And in return, I'd like cyclists never to run the red light when it's the pedestrians turn to cross on the green. And never block a left filter lane for cars.

<peers hopefully skywards for winged pigs>

Incandescentage Tue 09-Jun-15 19:03:52

Viking

I'm afraid there can be no conditions attached to my request. Sorry grin

Hurr1cane Tue 09-Jun-15 19:05:41

Once I was in traffic and saw a motorbike coming up on my right, I moved in to let him past and then was stuck in stand still traffic again. I sat and waited and then a cyclist banged on my window and scared my child into a seizure because I wasn't far enough over.

If that was you, you're a complete arse wipe and I hate your face.

Psipssina Tue 09-Jun-15 19:07:06

This is pointless.

The problem is we need to segregate different forms of traffic.

It's the only real answer - you don't have horses on a dual carriageway so why bicycles and lorries and buses have to share a road is beyond me.

Actually I know why - it's because no one thought of putting cycle lanes in, most of the time, and it takes time and money to sort this out.

I am a big supported of totally separate cycle routes so that eventually you can have barely any bicycles on a car/bus/lorry road, and no one gets cross with each other.

<idealist>

wowfudge Tue 09-Jun-15 19:08:54

Ime many of the cyclists I see when commuting just use the pavement, contrary to the Highway Code, if the cars are in their way. Or merrily undertake, or a combination of the two.

Sparklingbrook Tue 09-Jun-15 19:10:06

No such thing as a lighthearted cycling thread.

Incandescentage Tue 09-Jun-15 19:29:31

I am not looking for solutions, I just think that roads are not designed for cars and they should really get off.
It is so frustrating when I'm cycling and I get stuck behind cars. So inconsiderate and I think they should take a longer, less safe route.

Incandescentage Tue 09-Jun-15 19:34:31

When car drivers get off their mobile phones and abide by the Highway Code I might rethink but honestly everyday I see hoards of motorists flouting the Highway Code.

GERTI Tue 09-Jun-15 19:37:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Helspopje Tue 09-Jun-15 19:43:05

You have to ride aggressively in some cities or run the risk of having a serious accident like my friend Esther did last week. Most of the fatal accidents in London happen to women and the reason investigations give are all related to being a more considerate road user. Apparently the safer way to do it is to ride up the right side of stationary traffic and take up the space of a small car

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Tue 09-Jun-15 19:46:46

Car drivers seem to have given up thoughtful road positioning. People waiting to turn right don't tuck into the right, leaving room for smaller cars or bikes to pass on their left. People turning left at T junctions sit in the middle instead of moving over to the left and allowing right turners up beside them. Selfish fools.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 09-Jun-15 20:24:35

YABU for starting a TAAT

amicissimma Tue 09-Jun-15 20:59:25

And how about motorcyclists?

Recently I was in a jam on a motorway, inching forwards from time to time, when 3 motorbikes came up between two lanes. Most drivers moved over slightly when they could to give the bikes a bit more space. The guy in front of me moved the other way, obstructing them. The third bike was a Police bike! A little amusement in a very dull traffic jam.

Eve Tue 09-Jun-15 21:02:47

another point of view, is the 2 article I have read today about horse riders being injured after cyclists have spooked horses and caused accidents.

Maybe some respect and consideration all round.

OrangeVase Tue 09-Jun-15 21:05:08

TAAT

cheminotte Tue 09-Jun-15 21:07:27

Anyone care to link to the thread that prompted this?
Personally when I have my cyclist's hatvon ( aka helmet) I overtake on the right so I'm not at risk of getting hit my someone getting out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now