Talk

Advanced search

to use Christmas wrapping paper to wrap birthday presents?

(34 Posts)
HootsMon Tue 09-Jun-15 18:13:51

I have a few family birthdays this time of year and I'm loathe to go out and buy wrapping paper when I've got tonnes of Christmas paper (thanks to 3 for 2 offers when I only ever need two rolls!). Some of it is obviously festive but one roll is just plain red and another is blue with white snow dots.

Would you notice/mind if someone wrapped your birthday present up in Christmas paper or would you think they were just being tight/lazy?

QOD Tue 09-Jun-15 18:15:12

I'd do it ... OK I do do it grin

SleepIsOverrated Tue 09-Jun-15 18:17:29

I do it. Not the obviously festive, but the red/gold/green plain type stuff. Which is why I buy the plain stuff!

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Tue 09-Jun-15 18:19:28

I do it too

SoftSheen Tue 09-Jun-15 18:19:30

YABU to use anything with Christmas motifs as it will look as if you just can't be bothered.

JaWellNoFine Tue 09-Jun-15 18:20:15

Honestly.. I couldn't care if it was wrapped in a brown bag. I think people worry too much about things that are irrelevant and cost unnecessary money..
I would rather get a nice gift for a tenner than only be able to spend £5 because £5 must go on wrapping paper and a card... Because they are ridiculously expensive for what they are/bring to the party... Neither of them are required.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Tue 09-Jun-15 18:21:07

I have done this for my DH once but his birthday is mid December and I had completely forgotten to stock op on Birthday Paper!

HootsMon Tue 09-Jun-15 18:21:13

Okay, scratch the red - on closer inspection it has very faint merry christmases on it!

Blue snow scene it is then! grin

RedandYellow24 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:21:27

I use Xmas for kids if that's all I have they don't notice. Would use it for close family or friends and mention a sorry or something. If it would mean a last minute dash out and stress trying to wrap a gift family would understand.

Probable not for other people who could not be replied upon not to make strange comments about it behind your back!

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Tue 09-Jun-15 18:21:59

Why don't you do a Smithy and use tin foil? No need for Sellotape then either!

marshmallowpies Tue 09-Jun-15 18:22:46

Yes I got some good stuff in ikea last year - red stripy, and red leaves & flowers on a white background. It was with all the Xmas stuff but it really doesn't look that xmassy at all.

LavenderRain Tue 09-Jun-15 18:22:55

It's fine, but wouldn't you rather save it to use at Christmas!?

spad Tue 09-Jun-15 18:23:55

I think it is okay to do that, unless it is a late November , December or January birthday.

Nospringflower Tue 09-Jun-15 18:24:40

I notice when people do and think
It is lazy / tight.

woodhill Tue 09-Jun-15 18:27:43

why not, it's just going to get chucked away. I often buy plain or subtle wrapping paper at Christmas that can be used for other things

GreenShadow Tue 09-Jun-15 18:31:03

I would and do, but from past experience, there are plenty of people on here who would be highly offended that you hadn't taken the time/thought to use 'correct' paper!

HootsMon Tue 09-Jun-15 18:32:11

I like the sound of tin foil. I once wrapped a present for my father (a pair of walking boot) in an old out-of-date ordnance survey map. I think he was quite impressed!

Imnotbeingyourbestfriendanymor Tue 09-Jun-15 18:32:28

I wouldn't! I'd rather use plain brown paper. Agree with softsheen Mind you if I was the recipient I wouldn't mindgrin

JaWellNoFine Tue 09-Jun-15 18:36:13

I notice when people do and think
It is lazy / tight.

Why though? Do you think less of people because they don't want to be dictated to be a wasteful consumer driven society?

Those are the people I admire..

JaWellNoFine Tue 09-Jun-15 18:37:47

*by not be

ChippyMinton Tue 09-Jun-15 18:39:06

I buy plain silver/gold/shiny colours in the January sales to use for birthdays, but also take the time to add oodles of curling or fabric ribbons so it doesn't look Christmassy.

Starlightbright1 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:41:32

I did it at Easter..Very Festive paper because it was all I could find. I told the little girl but she loved it..I don't normally but I am dreadful at stocking up

KanyesVest Tue 09-Jun-15 18:43:11

DD got a birthday present at the weekend on red, white and green paper that on slightly closer inspection was Christmas papee. My first thought was that I was so glad I wasn't the first to do it wink

BrieAndChilli Tue 09-Jun-15 18:48:04

I do it. I buy the kids wrapping paper with characters on for their father Xmas presents. I buy far more than I need as I worry I won't have enough and wot be able to find anymore at the last minute. (We don't label them so each child has their own paper and know what presents are theirs)
So this year they have been sent to all the parties they have been invited to with presents wrapped in either Thomas tank, frozen or Simpsons paper. Last Year was lightening McQueen, rapunzel or Star Wars I think.

AuntieStella Tue 09-Jun-15 18:52:12

I try to buy paper with transferable skills, so it can be used whenever and whatever the occasion.

Using Xmas paper for a birthday is OK if - and only if - the birthday is nowhere near Christmas. For December and January, it's better to use newspaper than inadvertently leave the impression that their birthday is the poor relation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now