Talk

Advanced search

To think that teaching a class is like riding a bike

(18 Posts)
colourdilemma Tue 09-Jun-15 17:24:25

And that I might be still able to do it after only having taught small groups since dd1 born ten years ago?
Have an all morning teaching session so that I can be observed teaching a class I might have a day with a week next year. I am very, very nervous. I haven't done the nitty gritty of managing a class for years. I know that I will have masses of catching up with new policies and curriculum planning but am kind of hoping that I will remember what to do in front of a class of thirty confused Has anyone else gone back after ages and been okay? I expect my brain to ache!

TheHappyCamper Tue 09-Jun-15 17:42:35

Aww, I can feel your nervousness in your post! You WILL remember the important stuff, of course you will. Just remember to breathe and consciously slow down as we all have a tendency to go too fast when nervous. Plenty of praise and smiles. Good luck to you.

colourdilemma Tue 09-Jun-15 17:48:24

smile yep, smile and praise, smile and praise!

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Tue 09-Jun-15 18:03:07

Would agency work be an option before committing fully

VelvetRose Tue 09-Jun-15 18:04:08

I agree. You'll soon get into it. It's scarey at first but you'll soon get back into the swing of it. I haven't ever had a long break like that but if you've been working with kids in small groups anyway then that's not that dissimilar. Good luck.

Andrewofgg Tue 09-Jun-15 18:06:15

Mildly o/t but when I was at school we had a teacher who rode his bicycle through the corridors and into his classroom. Always the same room because he taught music. Bloody good teacher too, even if he was bonkers as conkers.

colourdilemma Tue 09-Jun-15 18:11:09

I could do supply, but this is a school I already take small groups at, and it's the same class one day a week. So much more consistent and better all round. I hadn't considered how nervous I was about class teaching-so when I found out about this I surprised myself by having a bit of a panic. I know I'm fine with the children I teach but I'm nervous about the differentiation and keeping all the plates spinning!

colourdilemma Tue 09-Jun-15 18:12:27

I am considering a bicycle ride up the corridor next week. It is a nice long one Andrew wink

Andrewofgg Tue 09-Jun-15 18:16:00

Put it on YouTube colourdilemma - let's all enjoy it!

Shinyandnew1 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:16:53

Yep-just like riding a bike! You'll get the 'first day of September fear' but by 10am, it will feel like you never left!

Tryingtokeepalidonit Tue 09-Jun-15 18:18:53

Good luck, you sound as if you will be fine. Just remember mini plenaries to show progress. If they already employ you to teach small groups they must have confidence in you. Just remember jargon changes quicker than children!

colourdilemma Tue 09-Jun-15 18:24:31

Mini plenaries. Bike riding in corridors. Sorted.

Imnotbeingyourbestfriendanymor Tue 09-Jun-15 18:26:19

Yes I've done it and you're right, it's like riding a bike! You'll be great. I left full time teaching when my first children were three years old and worked part time for the next seven years (other babies arrived in the meantime so some long gaps during their baby years...). I took small groups, one to one teaching and in class support when available for work but had not had my own class until I returned full time. It was great to be back and I'm sure you'll feel the same way. I was struck by how nervous I was when I went back to teaching after the initial four year break when my first children were born (although I was moving into a new area of teaching), it's one of the reasons I kept my 'hand in' when my subsequent children arrived. Your arrangement sounds ideal, good luck.

Imnotbeingyourbestfriendanymor Tue 09-Jun-15 18:28:23

Sorry, I got a little mixed up- I meant to say that I returned to teaching when my first children were three years old!

dementedma Tue 09-Jun-15 18:31:07

Taught my first adult class today after years being out of education. Nervous as hell but as soon as the first sentence was out of my mouth, I was back in my comfort zone and loved it!

pourmeanotherglass Tue 09-Jun-15 21:32:03

Not quite - I ride a bike every day, but would never in a million years have the confidence to stand up in front of a class of kids.

I expect if you have the confidence/skills needed for teaching, you'll be fine. Probably quite a bit to catch up on, and it will be hard work at first, but worth it - good luck!

MrsDermotOLeary Tue 09-Jun-15 21:44:50

I've just gone back part time (2 days a week) after a four year gap. I was really nervous and it's taken me a while but I'm totally back in the swing of it now. I went back after the Easter holidays.

Good luck op! Make sure you have all your resources to hand (if you need any) and a copy of your lesson plan to give to the observer.

colourdilemma Wed 29-Jul-15 08:05:48

I'm sure this hasn't been preying on anyone's minds wink but just a quick update. I prepped, I taught, I got the job! Hooray. And had fun too! I love all classes, even the ones that leave me feeling (mentally!) as if I've done five rounds with Tyson, but these guys were receptive, interested, interesting and generally on my side. Roll on September (after a very lovely August!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now