Talk

Advanced search

To pack away every single toy?

(18 Posts)
TiredToyTidyUpper Tue 09-Jun-15 15:44:43

I have just asked DC's (3&5) to tidy away their toys so that I can vacuum before DH comes home. They have refused. One has done a stint in the corner, one has put some away and got out some more... I then threatened to pack away every single one of their toys (bar two) and put them in the attic. DS said "yes please, pack them away." They have now gone into DD's bedroom and are throwing soft toys around and bouncing on the bed hmm. I have had enough, the place always looks a tip. It doesn't help that we have only one room to live in so you see everything. They almost always refuse to help.

WIBU to pack away every single toy and put them upstairs?

Everything has a place, there are boxes labelled, I said to ask if they weren't sure which one to put it in. This is what I actually asked them to tidy up :

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Tue 09-Jun-15 15:52:54

place looks like heaven compared to my house and my LO isn't even crawling yet.

TiredToyTidyUpper Tue 09-Jun-15 15:57:27

That's not the whole room! It's only part of it. I only asked them to clear the area around the sofa, not the bit where they have all their toys out. I need to hoover, it's been at least two weeks since I got the big vacuum out blush I've just been doing in between the toys with the hand held. But DH has the day off tomorrow (birthday ) and I wanted it to look nice.

Hobby2014 Tue 09-Jun-15 15:58:42

I can't see pic as on app but i believe you should follow through on a threat, especially with the 'yes pack them away' response from them, and the getting more out and jumping in beds etc.
Maybe if you do it, next time they will pick them up. If you don't, well they're never going to as there's no need to do as you say.

Vivacia Tue 09-Jun-15 16:00:38

Follow through with the threat, box everything up, but explain how they can be regained?

TarkaTheOtter Tue 09-Jun-15 16:00:49

Yanbu to have a consequence. But I think the attic would be overkill (for my 3yr old at least). She would be just as upset if they got put away for a few days and she wasn't allowed to play with them (and that way you don't have to go in the attic).

Mitzimaybe Tue 09-Jun-15 16:01:54

YABU to tidy them up and put them upstairs. YANBU to put them in a black plastic sack and in the bin.

Yoruba Tue 09-Jun-15 16:05:15

I think that's fair to do now you've threatened it - I wonder if the little one is a bit little for that really but I think it's important to follow through. Also think it's not that many things out!! Make it clear how to earn them back though and easy enough for them to do so reasonably quickly.

BaronVonShush Tue 09-Jun-15 16:07:58

Definitely pack them away. Do what you say you are going to do. Doesn't have to be for long.

Noneedtoworryatall Tue 09-Jun-15 16:11:06

Well now that you've threatened it you have to follow through.

but personally I wouldn't be bothered by what I see in your pics.

TiredToyTidyUpper Tue 09-Jun-15 16:11:38

Two weeks ago it was two bags full that was up. They didn't miss them. They have now pulled all the drawers out of DD's shelves (clothes still in them though) and are shrieking at the top of their voices. Can't throw them as some are from MIl and she would notice (plus are nice and expensive, the farm things is one to keep!) I know yoruba but I really need to vacuum there. And this I said they could leave and play with

TiredToyTidyUpper Tue 09-Jun-15 16:12:38

As long as they put the rest away.

Noneedtoworryatall Tue 09-Jun-15 16:12:57

If they are upstairs pulling drawers out what are you doing on mumsnet.

Your only making work for yourself.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 09-Jun-15 16:15:18

Can you take them out to the park for a bit ? They're 3 and 5 presumably the 5 year old has just got in from school and tidying will be the last thing on their mind. Things don't seem so bad in the fresh air and you can sit down and read a mag

TheForger Tue 09-Jun-15 16:21:08

I like your rug.

I have this to and go in with bin bags. I then forget about them and they stay stashed away for ages.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 09-Jun-15 16:25:42

With DS1, I threatened to throw his toys out if he didn't put them away. He said "go on then" so I packed them up in bin bags and (ok failed completely to go through with it) put them in the garage for a couple of weeks. He was pretty upset and I never needed to do it again with him. (I stealthily reintroduced the toys over a bit of time so he didn't notice them coming back - I couldn't throw them away, I'm not that sort of person, I just can't do it!)

Now though, if there is stuff on the floor and the boys aren't picking it up quickly enough, I just get the vacuum out and start pushing their stuff around, while they're shrieking and trying to pack it away quicker grin

slkk Tue 09-Jun-15 16:29:20

Yes put them away. I took all ds' s toys away for a while as he kept breaking them. Now we get a few out at a time and they go away before the next one comes out. I think you need to show them you can follow though and nip that attitude in the bud!

PennyJennyPie Tue 09-Jun-15 16:35:57

My mum did this. It is one of my big childhood memories, mostly because I was so chocked that she actually did it. I think you should do it, I didn't suffer from this. (and it was like Xmas when the toys came back even if my Sindy doll's head had changed colour and she was very pale).

Do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now