Talk

Advanced search

Lad's Holiday Again...

(50 Posts)
Konstantine27 Tue 09-Jun-15 11:25:00

My dh and his friend took a holiday together in Thailand earlier this year while I held fort back at home for six nights looking after our 18 month dd. I don't have an issue with him holidaying with friends, and I myself am taking a three night trip with a friend later on this year. But less than two months after this holiday they're planning another weekend away together to visit a friend in the South of France. Which would leave me in sole childcare for another three nights (our families don't live close by). AIBU to think this is taking the mickey, while we have a family trip booked later this year, we haven't been away together in the interim and while I didn't mind the initial trip I feel that two back to back trips is asking a lot of me. Not to mention the fact that this friend seems to be treating my husband like his new travel companion.

This friend is single so I don't have another female viewpoint on this to offer them and I feel like I'm going round in circles.... TIA

JeanSeberg Tue 09-Jun-15 11:26:42

I view most trip by single males to Thailand as dodgy.

Only1scoop Tue 09-Jun-15 11:29:13

Holidays in Thailand with male single friend confused

I guess France is only a few nights though....I wouldn't expect it to be a regular thing though. Is it just the two of them?

juneau Tue 09-Jun-15 11:35:11

I think your DH is taking the mickey. I can see why he's doing it - going away with his mate for a few days to go to swanky bars, hang out with adults, sleep late and talk bollocks is much more fun that going on holiday with a toddler (which is no holiday at all!). But if the two of you are going to have separate holidays with friends they should be things you talk about, plan for, and make sure that the division of childcare is fair. If I was you, I'd be pissed off and I'd tell him so.

Konstantine27 Tue 09-Jun-15 11:36:10

I should clarify: My dh got the opportunity to travel to Thailand for business and accepted as this friend was currently out there with his sister. My husband attended the meeting in Bangkok on the Mon and then flew down to the south to join them for three days. It was a business trip, but then it's also fair to say he wouldn't have volunteered for the trip if the friend wasn't there.

WorraLiberty Tue 09-Jun-15 11:39:39

Well that's a bit of a drip feed OP.

It's changed from lad's holiday to Thailand for six nights, to a business trip on which he spent 3 days with a friend confused

Only1scoop Tue 09-Jun-15 11:40:48

So it's not a 'lads holiday again' then is it really confused

Yabu

EponasWildDaughter Tue 09-Jun-15 11:41:24

I'd be unimpressed.

It's hard though, because in my situation it would be just as much about the money side of it as anything. We can only afford one modest family holls every other year at the mo. So the idea of DH swanning off to Thailand and then France with a single mate would go down like a lead balloon here.

Putting money and trust issues aside - as long as you're going to get an equal amount of time doing what you fancy then i suppose there's no problem. Will he be happy and competent being in sole charge of DC while you're away on a couple of breaks? Or will DC be sent round to ILs?

EponasWildDaughter Tue 09-Jun-15 11:42:01

Oh x post.

mrstweefromtweesville Tue 09-Jun-15 11:42:38

Dodgy as can be.
I don't known your 'dh' but I suspect him of
a) loving his friend
b) loving the people they meet on their holidays.
Sexual health clinic for you, before you say anything to him. See if there's any evidence to support my suspicions.

And let's say he's doing none of the things I suspect. He's still a bit of a louse to go off enjoying himself while you stay at home looking after your baby.

Konstantine27 Tue 09-Jun-15 11:48:46

It was 4 hours in a meeting room and then 4 days, 3 nights on one of the islands where they spent time snorkelling, going to bars and generally having a great time. I struggle to see it as a business trip when the meeting lasted less than 4 hours of the time he was out there.. And he wouldn't have volunteered had his friend not been there.

Klayden Tue 09-Jun-15 11:49:08

Given your latest post, YABU.

TwinkieTwinkle Tue 09-Jun-15 11:51:22

mrstweet are you for real? Where is there any evidence of unsavoury behaviour? Talk about jumping to conclusions!

OP, given the information in your update I think YABU.

Klayden Tue 09-Jun-15 11:51:51

Cross posted, I mean your post before that.

WorraLiberty Tue 09-Jun-15 11:54:02

mrstwee your post did make me laugh!

Sexual health clinic for you, before you say anything to him. See if there's any evidence to support my suspicions.

grin grin grin

WayneRooneysHair Tue 09-Jun-15 12:01:05

Fucking hell some people love to jump to conclusions on here!

susiedaisy Tue 09-Jun-15 12:04:39

What will they do on holiday in France? Is it a golfing holiday, wine tasting?

FinallyHere Tue 09-Jun-15 12:04:46

No objection to the plan in general, as far as I can see. In specifics, though, it does seem a bit off to plan another trip before you have had a go? Did he suggest that you take some time off or even refer to the unfairness?

If not, id insist of having a go before he could go again.

But i can't imagine that he would .....

TwinkieTwinkle Tue 09-Jun-15 12:05:48

Indeed wayne, very often now.

my husband went to Thailand with his friend.
well obviously he's gay or having sex with other women.

hmm

bluejeanswhiteshirt Tue 09-Jun-15 12:07:58

Yanbu. If it was just the one holiday/'business trip' then fair enough but considering you have a child together and you're going to be back home on your own, I think he's taking the piss a little bit.

Gilrack Tue 09-Jun-15 12:20:03

Well, I shot from "Selfish bastard probably cheating" to "Visiting friend & sister in nice place" in world-record speed grin

If your employer's willing to fly you out to spend a couple of days with a friends on a tropical island, of course you take it! A single meeting's a small price to pay smile

Not lads' holidays. YANBU to be envious and YANBU to kvetch about doing all the home & children whilst he's gone. Have another break of your own to even it up. Enjoy.

Konstantine27 Tue 09-Jun-15 12:36:53

I think what I find upsetting about the whole thing is that the holiday we have planned later in the year is going to be a family holiday. Whereas his holidays with his friend have been about visiting nice bars and having childfree time which we don't have planned. I'm upset that he seems to be using this friend to do that with yet again before we've had the opportunity to do that together. I know I'd have had no issue with the holiday had we had that together first.

AuntyMag10 Tue 09-Jun-15 12:39:24

Why can't you leave him with the dc and go on a holiday with your friends too?

roofio87 Tue 09-Jun-15 12:40:25

well it all just depends on how you feel. if you are not happy about it, then talk to him. my dh went on a long weekend to Amsterdam in may with his friends (mnetters will love reading into that one!) and is off to a festival this weekend. neither of these bother me at all and I'm looking forward to another weekend with just me and 20mo ds. but if it makes you unhappy talk to him.

juneau Tue 09-Jun-15 12:44:14

Well maybe he's really missing this part of his life OP? Could you maybe make some changes to your life (or to your holiday), that allow you some time as a couple to spend time as you used to before kids - going to bars, having dinner a deux, maybe staying out late sometimes rather than rushing home? I know I REALLY missed having an adult social life and I'm sooooo much happier since my kids got a bit older and I can go out and let my hair down sometimes. TBH, I'd like to do it every week, but that's not really possible, unfortunately. Some people don't care so much about going out once they have a family and are just happy to do the early nights and small kids thing, but if this is important to your DH I think maybe you should address it and try to make some changes so he's happier to spend time with you, rather than feeling he has to seek out single friends to indulge that side of life with? Just an idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now