Talk

Advanced search

To expect a test date earlier than 24th August!!

(26 Posts)
Nabuma Mon 08-Jun-15 20:20:16

I'm learning to drive, very close to test standard. Tried to book my test online and the earliest available test date in Bristol is 24th August!!! I'm gutted that it's so long away...I had so many plans for this Summer holiday with the kids and it looks like they wont work out now sad . I'm so frustrated with the whole bloody situation, I'm starting to think what's the point?! It's going to cost me even more money to maintain test standard for the next 2.5 months-money which should be going on my car!!!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Mon 08-Jun-15 20:21:56

It was the same when I took my test 12 years ago, in fact it was a 3 month waiting list. I phoned up every day for a cancellation and got one much sooner, can you do this?

Shouldof Mon 08-Jun-15 20:22:16

You'll get a cancellation if you keep checking (there's even software you can buy that will keep checking and text you with a date and you can send a reply to boo, that test date, or there was a few years ago anyway.). Book the August one bug I guarntee you will be able to swap it for something sooner.

Farahilda Mon 08-Jun-15 20:24:13

Keep at them for a cancellation.

But as the driving test is pretty much minimum standard for being safe on the roads, it really shouldn't cost you to maintain it (unless you have no access to a learner insured car other than during lessons).

thewavesofthesea Mon 08-Jun-15 20:26:23

Keep phoning for cancellations; it took me 4 attempts and all
of those were within 4-5 weeks I think (though was a long time ago!) also, when you ring, select the option for motorcycle tests; it's not as busy and they don't seem to
Know the difference at the other end wink

Foreverconfused Mon 08-Jun-15 20:28:02

It was the same about 5 years ago when I did mine. I failed my first ,and rebooked my second immediately ,the earliest being 2 months later. I turned up and was informed my test had been cancelled , their way of informing me was to send me a letter the day before , bearing in mind my test was at 9am and my post doesn't usually come until after 12. They rebooked my test automatically another 2 months later. To say I was devastated was an understatement. Luckily I passed that one ,a few weeks before my son was finally born.

thehumanjam Mon 08-Jun-15 20:31:21

I did mine over 20 years ago bad it was a 3 month waiting list. I don't think your wait is unreasonable I would've expected longer.

Nabuma Mon 08-Jun-15 20:33:57

Wow, that was quick-wasn't expecting replies so soon! I've been logging onto the system 9/10 times a day for the last few days and no cancellations have come up. When I spoke to my instructor, he said the same thing as you guys both before I'd booked and yesterday he told me another pupil of his had secured a cancelled booking that very day for 12th June, even though I'd been frantically checking all day too envy angry
Seems it's luck.
farahilda no, I've got no access to a car for practice in between lessons unfortunately. Instructor said he's had people pass at my level a few weeks ago, so should think I'll be fine to take it sharpish (providing there were dates available). Ideally, I would aim for late June/early July, just to feel more confident (seeing as I will be driving with children in the back, I want to feel capable).
Has anyone used one of those websites which secure cancelled bookings on your behalf for a small fee? I'm slightly dubious about them but to be honest I'd happily pay a fair bit if it meant having an earlier test...

Nabuma Mon 08-Jun-15 20:39:56

Thanks for the tip thewaves
People keep saying they rang for appointments, I've just been checking online. Am I missing something?
I guess I've been a bit stupid, blush the human I was expecting 5/6 weeks wait-I thought that would be ideal, have a date to aim for with still a bit of time to iron out any wrinkles. Gah.
I've been envisioning loadsa trips with the kids to the beach, to see relatives, to some theme parks. We were going t have a whale of a time-I've even been looking at a camping trip... What a twonk sad

Nabuma Mon 08-Jun-15 20:40:24

And to Ikea! grin

Nabuma Mon 08-Jun-15 20:42:00

forever I would have been sooo angry! God for you passing before your baby arrived though!

cashewnutty Mon 08-Jun-15 20:42:58

Could you book it somewhere else?

Nabuma Mon 08-Jun-15 20:49:33

I'm considering that, cashew Not sure if I would end up on the back foot a bit though? My instructor has been taking me around the test routes in Bristol for weeks now-I would worry I would be a bit confused on different roads.

Nabuma Mon 08-Jun-15 20:51:29

I know I ought to be confident on any roads but I have kind of psyched myself up for the route in Bristol and wouldn't want to take my test and be nervous on unfamiliar routes iyswim

WotFisticuffs Mon 08-Jun-15 21:11:12

I used one of the driving test cancellation sites. I think it was about £12, you put in the dates that suit you and the centres you want to use and it checks it for you every 20 minutes. It then books it for you and emails/texts you to see if you want to confirm.
It was well worth the money, it found me at least 20 alternative times over the three times I had to take my test!

ProvisionallyAnxious Tue 09-Jun-15 09:11:05

I wouldn't take the test in a place where you haven't prepared for it - it's easy to say that all learner drivers should be confident driving anywhere but the test is nerve-wracking enough as it is without being unfamiliar - leave exploring new roads for when you've got your licence and can take things calmly, without it being a test at the same time!

Also, remembering the area around my test centre, some test routes involve little tricky places that catch out non-learner drivers all the time if they aren't familiar with the roads.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll get a test at your chosen centre sooner than your current date - my first test was cancelled due to weather and they re-booked me for two months later: I kept an eye on the website and managed to re-book for a week after my initial test.

Try checking for, say, a couple of days to a week ahead every evening - my instructor pointed out that this was usually when people would cancel tests they had booked if they have their last lesson previous to the test a week beforehand and it doesn't go well.

Very very good luck! smile

ItsTricky Tue 09-Jun-15 09:13:44

It was about 3 months wait 25 years ago

ChesterCake Tue 09-Jun-15 09:27:07

Natbuma my instructor only took me right out of the test centre cause he claimed they always like to test using hicks gate roundabout. Yep you can guess that the examiner asked me to turn left into Bristol when we pulled out! I think it helped me to be more alert on roads Id never even seen before! Keep checking for cancellations and maybe look at Chippenham too?

MrsGrimes Tue 09-Jun-15 11:10:32

I've been learning to drive and at the end of May my instructor said to book my test. Closest I could get was mid-August! Logged on last week to check the dates and the whole of July was available. So now I've changed my test to mid-July. You just have to keep logging on and hoping earlier dates come up! I've been going around my local test routes too so I wouldn't want to book in another area.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 09-Jun-15 11:15:57

It's always been at least a 6-8 week wait here.

Sallyingforth Tue 09-Jun-15 11:23:48

My instructor has been taking me around the test routes in Bristol for weeks now-I would worry I would be a bit confused on different roads.

Your instructor should be taking ypu on different roads and not just on test routes. You are learning to drive safely, not just to pass a test.

When you have passed your test you will suddenly be using unfamiliar roads that you are not comfortable in dealing with, and with the added distraction of having your children with you.

Shouldof Tue 09-Jun-15 17:07:42

I used driving test cancellation checker and it was well worth it, like pp, kept throwing dates at me and you can confirm with a reply text. I would do it if it is affordable for you.

Nabuma Tue 09-Jun-15 17:34:10

wot and shouldof I've just signed up to a cancellation checking service. It's checking every 5 mins for me! feel a bit smug now
Don't worry sally , I live a fair distance from the test centre and it's routes so I do get the opportunity to travel on a variety of other roads. Bristol, however is notoriously difficult to drive in and navigate with a fair few idiosyncrasies, so local knowledge is expected and almost essential for the test iyswim. Also planning on taking a pass plus course afterwards (if I ever get a test date!) to really build my confidence.

provisionally exactly, I want to be able to explore unfamiliar roads without the added pressure of a test!

chestercake I know Hicks Gate very well (although I did have to google it to recognise it as didn't know it by name) my instructor always says, "the yellow bollards, aim for the bollards!!" grin

Thanks for the help guys!

Nabuma Tue 09-Jun-15 17:43:07

Waits impatiently for test dates to be thrown at me....

Sallyingforth Tue 09-Jun-15 20:56:54

Also planning on taking a pass plus course afterwards (if I ever get a test date!) to really build my confidence.

Excellent plan Nabuma! It should reduce your insurance premium too.

And yes I know Bristol. It does have its own challenges.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now