Talk

Advanced search

to hate emails and wish they would all go away

(9 Posts)
holdyourown Mon 08-Jun-15 19:14:00

I know they can come in useful for a few group things but I'm just inundated with adverts it's like getting piles and piles of junk mail each day. Very few I need and if I do need one I have to sift through all the rest. Also they pile up so rapidly I can't keep on top of them. Have tried sweep facility and things like that but it feels like one woman -vs- email mountain. I don't even want my utilities and insurance companies etc to email and give me passwords to remember etc I just want a bill in the post <dinasour>

HelenF350 Mon 08-Jun-15 19:16:37

Yanbu, but you can unsubscribe from mailing lists as the bottom of every email. I do this all the time and it has significantly reduced my junk mail.

CaptainAnkles Mon 08-Jun-15 19:17:10

Start a new email address and only change the email info on stuff you absolutely have to. I did it and I've only had three junk emails since.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 08-Jun-15 19:20:21

Send everything through google inbox - it is awesome at filtering out spam and also sorts stuff automatically into categories like finance, purchases, promos etc

RubyMay82 Mon 08-Jun-15 19:21:31

I must have applied for something on total jobs or one of those kind of sites & the amount of shite junky emails I get now drive me mad,
I junk them & still get bombarded.

maddening Mon 08-Jun-15 19:27:22

I use my phone for emails So don't keep my inbox neat - logged on from my tablet and realised how much was in it - I have started going back and deleting en mass - am back to 1st October and over October to now I have deleted about 4500 emails - 98% ads from groupon/ fb/eBay etc etc! It's going to take a while to sort through as I have emails I want to keep littered thoughout the remains 5000 to sort!

ratspeaker Mon 08-Jun-15 20:29:51

I have an old email address which was getting inundated by spam.
They've now changed filters so it's much easier to deal with.
A lot of spam is just trying random emails so clicking unsubscribe alerts them it a live email account ( this means the stuff you have definitley not subscribed to, like watches, pharma, etc etc )

What I have done is set up seperate gmail accounts.
One for work type stuff
One that only family and close friends have
One for giving out to Amazon, ebay etc
General use

holdyourown Mon 08-Jun-15 20:41:29

That's interesting about unsubscribing. If I opened a new email I'd be worried something was going into this one that I would miss, hidden among all the spam eg an email from an old friend I'd forgotten to tell or something. I've tried deleting them all and then unsubscribing as each one came in but it was just unmanageable and has potentially led to more then shock Also, some keep arriving despite the unsubscribing or sweeps.

People who just open new email addresses, what do you do with the old one- can you close them down completely?

AntiHop Mon 08-Jun-15 20:57:11

I had the same problem. huge amounts of marketing emails. I spent a couple of hours unsubscribing. Now I'm ruthless. I'll unsubscribe as soon as one comes into my inbox. Much better now. Some companies add you to their mailing list if you've had any correspondence with them or ordered something online. Drives me bonkers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now