Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think that kissing my girlfriend is not 'rubbing other peoples faces in it'

(71 Posts)
mileend2bermondsey Mon 08-Jun-15 18:36:09

using the term 'girlfriend' lightly here, date may be may be more appropriate.
On our way home from a lovely date with a girl the other night giving her snog before we split up to go our seperate ways. A group of girls shouted in our direction 'where are the homophobes when you need them' we just laughed between us and carried on.

Anyway I'm telling a colleague about it and she says that whilst she isnt homophobic, she doesnt like her face being rubbed in it by seeing lesbians/gays kissing in public. Ok I can completely appreciate lots of people dont like PDA's, but you cant discriminate which pda's are acceptable. If she doesnt have a problem with a straight couple kissing in public but she does have one with a gay couple, then shes homophobic no?

EatShitDerek Mon 08-Jun-15 18:37:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HappyJustToBe Mon 08-Jun-15 18:39:50

YANBU.

CaptainHolt Mon 08-Jun-15 18:41:31

She's homophobic - but she thinks she's not because she's not actually tying you to the fence herself. It's like all the racists who are gracious enough to 'not mind anyone' but tut when they see samosas for sale or a Christmas card with 'Seasons Greetings' on it.

Roseformeplease Mon 08-Jun-15 18:41:40

Anyone kissing makes me go all mushy. I think we should celebrate happiness, not try to stamp on it.

YANBU

Finola1step Mon 08-Jun-15 18:42:00

Ah, the casual "I'm not homophobic but..." Still plenty of them around. The only thing you.should concern yourself with here is whether you enjoyed kissing your date or not. And if you did, are you going to see her again?

catkind Mon 08-Jun-15 18:42:08

That sounds like an "I'm not a racist but..." sort of comment. i.e. it is homophobic. YANBU.

maroonedwithfour Mon 08-Jun-15 18:42:40

Fgs how ignorant is she?!? Hope you enjoyed your snoggrin

Marmiteandjamislush Mon 08-Jun-15 18:43:12

Your colleague is homophobic and a twat. Personally, I don't like to see anybody snogging, makes me feel as if I'm looking at something very private IYSWIM. I accept that's quite weird, but we are religious and don't do physical contact in public.

DorotheaHomeAlone Mon 08-Jun-15 18:43:31

Yup. She's homophobic. Do with that new info what you will.

LadyNym Mon 08-Jun-15 18:43:32

If you literally grabbed her homophobic face and rubbed her nose against the two of you whilst you were kissing then you'd be unreasonable. As it stands, she's a twat.

CaptainHolt Mon 08-Jun-15 18:45:32

I saw a gay couple kissing through a train window today. It was lovely. You hardly ever see that anymore. It was the furthest platform from the entrance too, over two bridges. It made me remember when I was young and used to go the extra mile, and then I went to M&S and bought DP the biscuits he likes. <misses point>

grabaspoon Mon 08-Jun-15 18:46:54

Don't care who youre snogging Personally, I don't like to see anybody snogging,

FishWithABicycle Mon 08-Jun-15 18:46:56

Yanbu. Anything that is OK for a straight couple is OK for a gay couple. Anyone who says otherwise is being homophobic.

BlueBananas Mon 08-Jun-15 18:48:37

Eurgh I hate PDA's! I don't mind a little kiss but seeing a full on snog makes me a bit queasy yet I'm strangely compelled to stare
Man & woman, woman & woman, man & man whatever just get a room!
However, your colleague is homophobic...and a twat

bikeandrun Mon 08-Jun-15 18:49:22

All it makes me feel is slightly mushy in a nice way, the thought of a lovely snog with a potential new love ( or at least nostalgic for when me and my lovely dh were at that stage)

Nolim Mon 08-Jun-15 18:51:03

Your colleague is an idiot at best

VelvetRose Mon 08-Jun-15 18:51:54

She is homophobic. Ignore her. I'm as affectionate with my wife as we like. Not over the top but I'm a tactile person and so is she.

Aermingers Mon 08-Jun-15 18:53:10

They sound like their faces are thoroughly overdue a good rubbing to me.

uglyswan Mon 08-Jun-15 18:54:07

YANBU. When other people stop rubbing their heterosexuality in your face by hugging, kissing, holding hands, or even getting married in public (<faints>), then you can promise to consider keeping an arm's length between you and your date at all times.

ShowMeYourTARDIS Mon 08-Jun-15 18:54:13

People sometimes stare when my girlfriend and I walk around holding hands. We kiss in public too. I've seen straight couples basically dry humping each other. shock We try and keep that for the privacy of our homes.

LittleMissIntrovert Mon 08-Jun-15 18:54:30

I don't like to see anyone kissing in public, but that's just because I don't like PDAs, it is discriminatory in this case with your colleague though. Informatively people are very ignorant sad

MiscellaneousAssortment Mon 08-Jun-15 18:54:55

Yup, she's a fully paid up member of that rather unpleasant club 'homophobes anonymous'. She thinks she's great so therefore can't be one of them, so conveniently ignores her actions to the contrary.

Only a homophobe would think there was a difference between gay & straight people kissing.

There is no face. No rubbing. And no 'it' in which these faces are bring rubbed!

LittleMissIntrovert Mon 08-Jun-15 18:55:09

informatively = unfortunately stupid autocorrect!

mileend2bermondsey Mon 08-Jun-15 18:56:51

marooned and finola Well we met in a club and I later found out she was just in London for the week visiting her dad and actually lived in Penrith. Of course I picked the only girl in the club who lived 300 miles away to dance with! We had 3 great dates though, it was all a bit holiday romance, in a good way smile

However I've pretty much resigned myself to only doing pda's in Soho now. Anywhere else attracts too much attention whether it be homophobic abuse, blokes asking if they can join in, are just simply gawping. Too much hassle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now