Talk

Advanced search

To be driven INSANE by small cramped overstocked shops?

(15 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Mon 08-Jun-15 17:36:28

I know rents are high. I know they have to maximise every inch, but if they had less stock and more space, I would actually go in and spend more money.

A gift shop near me: 2 card racks near the door, meaning you can't open the door properly. Fell straight over a gift wrap box as soon as I walked in. Pick my way down the isles which have stuff all over the floors at the base of the racks. There isn't even enough space for one person to stand. Try and pay for something, but have to stand at an awkward angle as so much stuff is on the floor in front of the counter, and there is isn't any space to put the card machine on the counter. I paid and ran off. Surely surely less stock would create more custome?

LaurieFairyCake Mon 08-Jun-15 17:40:47

It stresses me out and makes me feel fat as if I can't turn round hmm

Same as too small loos that you have to straddle the toilet to shut the door - wtf hmm

RackofPeas Mon 08-Jun-15 17:57:29

There are shops I am effectively banned from when I take ds2 out in his buggy.
How wheelchair users are supposed to manage I have no idea.

Chunkymonkey79 Mon 08-Jun-15 18:02:20

Yanbu

I detest card factory for all those reasons. I dunno why they have to cram so much in!!!!

Hoppityhippityhop Mon 08-Jun-15 19:30:05

I agree, I can't be bothered with shops like this. It's difficult to look at the stock if there's too much and it's all crammed in. I hate having to squeeze past other customers to move around a shop, I normally just leave instead. There's a shop near where I live that is impossible to negotiate with a push chair and I wouldn't risk it with a toddler in tow either.

Equally I hate shops that are artfully empty.

Snozberry Mon 08-Jun-15 19:32:57

There are shops that I can't even go in with my relatively small buggy, it seems shitty as they're effectively stopping anyone in a wheelchair getting in.

leccybill Mon 08-Jun-15 19:37:10

Agree that Card Factory is the absolute worst for this. Even paying means stretching across a mile-pile pile of flashing shit just to pass your 29p card to the cashier.

harryhausen Mon 08-Jun-15 19:38:20

The shop that give me the panics is Claire's Accessories. I can't move without knocking into done rack of sunglasses or earrings.

PausingFlatly Mon 08-Jun-15 19:42:27

Hah, saw the title and clicked to say wheelchair-user here: OMFG. I don't even try.

To be fair, if can get over the threshold, they're usually fine after a panic-stricken fluster about fetching stuff if I have a list.

But browsing? Nah.

Snozberry Mon 08-Jun-15 19:43:24

The Works is the worst round here which is a shame as I love it, the aisles are narrow to start with and then they pile stuff on the floor. Is anyone even looking at the stuff on the floor, what's the point?

Letmegetanamechange Mon 08-Jun-15 19:45:05

There's a shop like that near me that is so crammed from top to bottom with stock that you're afraid to move incase you break anything confused I love the stuff they sell but there's just so much of it that you can't even reach to have a look at!

I can't go in if it's just me and DD as there isn't a ramp to the entrance, just stairs, and there's no way you'd be able to manoeuvre a pram in the tiny space.

PausingFlatly Mon 08-Jun-15 19:53:46

It's like a 70s computer game, with twisty little passages that narrow and narrow and you reach the end and discover there are boxes hidden just round the corner, and now you have to reverse back up, collecting merchandise on your handles as you go.

londonrach Mon 08-Jun-15 19:55:07

I dont go into shops like that. Yanbu

The80sweregreat Mon 08-Jun-15 20:24:34

I knocked over a display of air fresheners today. Not entirely my fault but , as you say, overcrowding in tiny places. I did pick them.up but some places are a risk to health with all this stacking! Card factory is brilliant for choice etc but the shop is too crowded.

Leeds2 Mon 08-Jun-15 20:28:29

I loathe shops like that and, indeed, try and avoid them I find charity shops some of the worst culprits, so I do try and support them but often through gritted teeth.

Also get overwhelmed by shops with huge open spaces in the middle, such that you feel you are constantly being watched. I don't go in those at all, unless called in to pay by DD!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now