Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To wait and see which DC starts scratching?

(29 Posts)
ShutUpLegs Mon 08-Jun-15 15:51:06

I am waging a communication war with the kids' school as regards their head lice notification policy. A lovely email turns up telling me head lice have been detected in my DC's class with a list of helpful actions. But they don't tell me WHICH class. I have multiple DCs in the school. So I grumped a bit and they added the Year Group in to the title of the email - which made me happy because I knew which DC to monitor more closely.

Today, an email has arrived declaring "various Year Groups". I asked for clarification but have been told they are unable to be more specific and could I check all the DCs.

No. Its a PitA to fine comb all DCs without real cause to do so. In the past one DC has had lice without any of the others having them - usually because I respond to the annoying email and catch it early.

So AIBU to wait until I see which one scratches?

Bair Mon 08-Jun-15 15:54:13

YABU. Get them checked.

kelda Mon 08-Jun-15 15:55:55

It's even more of a PITA to treat nits! Just nit comb them. Not all children scratch when they have nits - it depends on how badly they react to the lice bites.

Squitten Mon 08-Jun-15 15:57:47

I would check them all with a comb. By the time my lot are noticeably itching, a lot of eggs have been laid and it's even more of a pain to get rid of them!

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Mon 08-Jun-15 15:59:53

I would just check them all

ShutUpLegs Mon 08-Jun-15 16:02:23

Gah. There are nit notifications all the time - I just keep an eye on the kid in the year group that is affected and we have only ever had a full-scale family infection twice. I just don't see why we can't be told which year group it is.

It takes ages to fine comb them all. We all hate it.

Georgethesecond Mon 08-Jun-15 16:10:05

Yeah but you should be doing it regularly regardless of letters from school, sorry.

PureMorning Mon 08-Jun-15 16:12:22

Everyone hate it but it's one of those things that need to be done regularly.

MrsDeVere Mon 08-Jun-15 16:14:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ApeMan Mon 08-Jun-15 16:16:56

It is pointless for the school to differentiate, because you have to do them all at once if one gets them anyway, otherwise you are not getting rid of the nits at all, and your children would be continuously reinfesting the other children at school...

...but you knew that already, right? RIGHT?

HamishBamish Mon 08-Jun-15 16:20:08

My DC's school does this too. They just say there have been cases of nits, but they don't specify which class. I comb through my DC's hair once a week anyway, but they do have short hair so it's not an arduous task.

SaucyJack Mon 08-Jun-15 16:24:01

It would probably have been quicker just to give all your DCs a comb-through than it would to have written your OP.

SorchaN Mon 08-Jun-15 16:33:41

I think notifications are completely pointless. On any particular day a child either has them or doesn't - it's a bit like Shroedinger's cat. If you comb today, your kid could acquire lice tomorrow. And some kids seem to be more prone to them than others: my son has never had them, even when his sisters were both infested for a couple of weeks. Comb once a month or so, just to check, and every three days if you find anything until they're gone. Nothing else really works.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 08-Jun-15 17:23:36

just look at the hair at the nape of the neck and behind the ears first. then nit comb any that you are suspicious about.

nemo81 Mon 08-Jun-15 18:08:37

Check them all and anyone else in the house.

mintpoppet Mon 08-Jun-15 18:31:08

You're a fool if you think they are confined to one class or year group. Just check your kids' hair. All of them.

Buttercup27 Mon 08-Jun-15 18:33:49

It can take up to 3 months to start itching once you have nits and some people never itch as it's a reaction from their saliva that causes the itch so it would be worth checking.

ChocolateBreakfastBalls Mon 08-Jun-15 18:35:41

YABU, you should check ALL your DCs when the notification comes, because they are very good at sharing nits.

capsium Mon 08-Jun-15 18:35:41

Could you reward them for nit checking their sibling's hair. Get a mini digital microscope to go bug hunting on each other with! grin

SpidySensesAreOff Mon 08-Jun-15 19:49:04

This thread has made me itch!

5madthings Mon 08-Jun-15 19:52:08

Just check them! Not everybody itches when they have nits, you only itch if allergic to the bites. I check all my five at least twice a week so if they get them I catch before a full on infestation!

The5DayChicken Mon 08-Jun-15 20:02:32

You're emailing back and forth with the school each time rather than just checking each of your children's heads? That's really quite illogical. YABU.

ButterflyUpSoHigh Mon 08-Jun-15 20:12:13

You should be checking them regularly any way.

missymayhemsmum Mon 08-Jun-15 22:14:20

YABU. Nitty gritty comb. Dollops of conditioner. Comb through and check. Every hairwash, every child. Or no story

flora717 Mon 08-Jun-15 22:20:40

Check every week regardless of erratic notes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now