Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why more money isn't put into pain management medication

(14 Posts)
ChuffinAda Mon 08-Jun-15 15:41:00

After another disrupted night due to neuropathy/neuralgia and having tried every pain medication out there (of which there aren't all that many when you've gone through them all) I can't believe in this day and age the medical research profession hasn't found or plumbed money into pain relief.

It's something everyone will need at some point in their lives so a real money spinner but yet there is nothing. This leaves many chronic pain patients with little option but to be dosed up on morphine which is crap for nerve pain.

Aibu?

FarFromAnyRoad Mon 08-Jun-15 15:43:44

YANBU at all - but until it actually affects the Prime Minister or his wife I suppose we're stuck with it. It's just not high on the list of anyone who doesn't have this problem - I suppose I can understand that - it's not like you can see it and feel sorry for someone is it? It is shit though.

CrohnicallyInflexible Mon 08-Jun-15 15:44:08

When you say every pain medication, have you tried antidepressants? I know certain ones (amitriptilline?) can be used for nerve pain.

But yes, I can't take NSAIDs so my regular choices are paracetamol or opiates. With something like a sore throat, paracetamol doesn't do anything and opiates are a bit overkill!

ChuffinAda Mon 08-Jun-15 15:46:07

I've tried amytriptiline, nortryptiline, gabapentin, pregabalin, opiates, tramadol and various antiinflammatory medications...

DPotter Mon 08-Jun-15 15:52:37

Sadly pharma research had nothing to do with Dave - as much as I would like to pin the blame on him.

The pharma companies will only research drugs for diseases and conditions where they can make the money back that they've spent on research

ChuffinAda Mon 08-Jun-15 15:54:47

Its a shame pressure can't be put onto the pharmas by government because it would enable so many more people into work simply by having their pain controlled adequately

Perihelion Mon 08-Jun-15 15:55:19

Tens machine or valium when the amytiptiline and co codamyol doesn't touch the sides.
Best thing I did was a pain management course with a multi disciplinary team. Learnt to plan and pace myself, get a physically strong as possible, relaxation techniques and accept the pain rather than try to fight it.
Was about 10 years ago and have no idea if such a thing is still run by NHS.

Signlake Mon 08-Jun-15 15:55:26

I agree OP, there should be more pain relief options out there, it should also be taken more seriously when somebody complains they're in pain to a HCP. I know a number of people gone to GPs and left with unsatisfactory pain medication that just didn't work for them

I remember visiting the dentist years ago when the gum surrounding my wisdom tooth became infected as it was cutting through. I've never felt pain like it. I was prescribed antibiotics for the infection and told she wouldn't describe anything for the pain. It took a lot of persuasion getting anything from my GP. They were both happy for me to just take paracetamol and ibuprofen even though I explained they weren't even touching the pain

The infection didn't clear for over a week and the pain didn't lesson until day 5. Truly awful

FarFromAnyRoad Mon 08-Jun-15 15:56:38

I know really DPotter but I just felt like hurling the blame at him grin - but equally I'd hurl it at anyone in the hot seat!
Is it because there just aren't enough people with this problem? If it's a financial decision maybe that's it - it's just not widespread enough. I had a truly terrible time on Gabapentin - the worst of the known side effects, Amitriptylene just put me to sleep. None of them leave you feeling particularly lovely so there's definitely a gap in the market for something new.

Aermingers Mon 08-Jun-15 16:07:28

Actually an absolutely huge amount is spent on pain management. I've worked in a pain management clinic and sadly there are some patients who no matter how much is spent would never have their pain relieved.

MinionMoo Mon 08-Jun-15 16:08:40

Have you tried cannabis? It can take the edge off the pain quite a bit...

Aermingers Mon 08-Jun-15 16:08:53

It's sad but true. I've actually seen doctors in tears after consultations where they've had to tell patients in terrible pain that there's nothing they can do.

ChuffinAda Mon 08-Jun-15 16:16:47

Its kind of reassuring to know the medics are as exacerbated by it as the patients. There has been more than one occasion - last night included - where I nearly popped all the pills out the packs and downed them with some vodka. I was that desperate for relief.

Aermingers Mon 08-Jun-15 16:24:41

I don't think many doctors would feel good about sending someone away without making them feel better.

It was one of the most difficult clinics I've ever worked in. People used to call us in terrible pain and we used to get shouted at, called names, have people begging us in tears to help. It was difficult, but everybody understood that it wasn't the patients fault and they were just upset because they were in tremendous pain. If a clinic was cancelled and we had to ring people and tell them an injection would be delayed it was awful. You're basically ringing people up and telling them they're going to be in pain for a month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now