Talk

Advanced search

to think You've Been Framed is schadenfreude and for masochists?

(6 Posts)
mileend2bermondsey Mon 08-Jun-15 15:00:52

purely a programme about taking joy in others pain. There are some clips which are so dangerous/painfull looking my first reaction is 'did they die??'shock although I'm guessing if they did their families wouldnt be sending the clip off to YBF. Honestly cant watch anymore.

Light hearted disclaimersmile

ImprobableBee Mon 08-Jun-15 15:08:32

I think schadenfreude accurately describes all television. I wouldn't apply the term masochist to all people though. Maybe a little bit. Good job TVs are optional.

DoJo Mon 08-Jun-15 15:16:02

To be fair, a lot of YBF is entertaining animals and children or people doing stupid, but not ultimately dangerous things, which, for me, make up for the bone-crunchingly agonising ones. Skaters and people who are obviously trying to do tricks, I have little sympathy for as the injuries are part of the process of perfecting their techniques, but sometimes I do wonder whether the £250 will be going to someone in a full body cast who will have to spend it on painkillers...

ApeMan Mon 08-Jun-15 15:16:24

Sadists, surely.

Also, I know what you mean to some extent. Sometimes a room full of people smiling and laughing sincerely because a toddler just hurt themselves on the TV can make you feel a bit like you arrived in a flying saucer 5 minutes ago.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Mon 08-Jun-15 15:20:18

It's grim.

Playing canned laughter at a child falling off a swing is odd odd odd.

undoubtedly Mon 08-Jun-15 15:21:18

YANBU

It's funny as fuck though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now