Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

re abbreviations: "DH" isn't compulsory on MN. If he's being an arse you can just say H

(61 Posts)
BeCool Mon 08-Jun-15 14:09:53

same for husband or wife - you can just say H or W if they don't deserve the D.

If your partner is being a total cunt, just call them P. No need to put " around the "D".

It's OK - we will all understand.

BF can be either best friend or boy friend though so it can be worth clarifying.

ludovica Mon 08-Jun-15 14:19:36

This is a pet peeve of mine. Years ago I had a thread about my husband and I put DH, and half the replies I got were asking why I was using DH when he obviously wasn't very D at all. It is actually bloody irrritating when people point this out. It is easier for me to type husband than to remember to put DH and in real life I would only say Dear or Darling in a sarcastic tone as they just are not words I use, other than in jest.

Time and again I see people being picked up for saying DH when the H is in fact a total shit, and I just wonder, what is the point of that reply. The OP knows the H is a total shit or she wouldn't be posting.

DF for fiance or father can be confusing. Best friend/boy friend/breast feeding can be a bit bewildering if you don't know what forum you are in. BM for bridesmaid or best man. I was on an American forum where they said BM for bowel movement. I'm so glad we can just say shit on mumsnet.

Thurlow Mon 08-Jun-15 14:22:38

Oh god yes, completely agree. DSIL, DMIL esp get my goat, especially when they are clearly anything but 'dear/darling'.

Most of the time it is easier to write DP, DH, DD etc and it is really annoying when people pick on it as an issue within post. But sometimes people tie themselves into a right pickle trying to use all the abbreviations. Sometimes it's easier to write MIL did this, brother did that etc.

BeCool Mon 08-Jun-15 14:27:16

OMG I forgot all about BF + breastfeeding too (It been a while).

I find the whole "dear/darling" before everything a bit nauseating - I'd rather just use H, P, W, etc but I've picked up using D as a prefix since posting on MN as it is the done thing.

In my own mind I often just read the D as Dickhead as necessary smile

BeCool Mon 08-Jun-15 14:29:36

I don't see DMIL as often.

Inlaw abbreviations seem to be a common exception to the habitual use of D on MN - wonder why? confused

SecondMrsAshwell Mon 08-Jun-15 14:34:32

I tried putting a post about a boyfriend and a best friend. Gave up, because the abbreviation for both is the same. I hadn't considered the breastfeeding bit.... me Bfing my bf and being interrupted by my BF....

lilacblossomtime Mon 08-Jun-15 14:39:54

That's why best friend is bff but I don't think mn approve of that either!

yoshipoppet Mon 08-Jun-15 14:42:09

D could also stand for Deadbeat. Or Disgusting. Or even Dastardly smile

WorraLiberty Mon 08-Jun-15 14:43:10

Mumsnet is so funny! grin

We all use these abbreviations, but woe betide anyone who uses text speak...

TedAndLola Mon 08-Jun-15 14:46:35

me Bfing my bf and being interrupted by my BF....

If you're BFing your bf I think you have bigger issues than abbreviation confusion grin

Thurlow Mon 08-Jun-15 14:46:45

Very true, Worra grin

BeCool Mon 08-Jun-15 14:48:05

fucking hell Worra said "text speak"
<faints>

minandensommerhus Mon 08-Jun-15 14:49:39

I agree! I see DH and then a big long post about how he sits on his arse all weekend while the OP begs for a bit of help. I roll my eyes. Drop the D

minandensommerhus Mon 08-Jun-15 14:51:43

Also, I never know whether bf is best friend or boy friend and dear father or dear fiance. I know I can type so it's easy for me to type this, but just type it in full.

BeCool Mon 08-Jun-15 14:51:52

* I was on an American forum where they said BM for bowel movement. I'm so glad we can just say shit on mumsnet.*
^ keeps making me laugh.

WorraLiberty Mon 08-Jun-15 14:51:59

Soz i dint mean 2 say txt spk

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Jun-15 14:52:10

It doesn't bother me at all. confused Everyone knows what DH etc means. It's not a big deal.

BeCool Mon 08-Jun-15 14:53:23

yes DH means (and I quote) "darling/dear husband"

BeCool Mon 08-Jun-15 14:54:51

"I just walked in on DH shagging the nanny"
Is he really your darling right now? really?

BeCool Mon 08-Jun-15 14:55:32

of course we must only discuss Big Deals too.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Jun-15 14:55:42

But everyone knows it was the husband shagging the nanny, it makes no difference to the story.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Jun-15 14:56:28

I haven't seen a big deal discussed on MN for ages. grin

QueenBean Mon 08-Jun-15 14:56:28

These drive me mad

Especially when someone is slagging some family member off and says "DexstepMIL" or "DSIL" WHY WHY WHY - you're slagging them off, they're clearly not dear to you. And we get who it is perfectly well without needing the D in front.

Also Ddog2 - what the bloody hell is the point in putting D first??!

BeCool Mon 08-Jun-15 15:03:01

grin

lilacblossomtime Mon 08-Jun-15 15:04:12

But our dogs are D (except when they have been rolling in fox poo).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now