Talk

Advanced search

Unilateral change of exam date

(14 Posts)
dontquotem3 Mon 08-Jun-15 11:50:20

Posting for traffic.

I have just received a text from my 16 yr old DD who's informed me that her headteacher and both art teachers have just told her that her graphics exam deadline have been changed from this Friday to tomorrow!
Surely they cannot do this?
When asked, DD said that they did not give any reason for this.
Please help.

PuppyMonkey Mon 08-Jun-15 11:53:03

Oh no, did the school cock up the date do you think? Will she meet the deadline? DD does art, but her deadline was weeks ago...

DoJo Mon 08-Jun-15 11:56:17

Oh dear - it sounds like someone has spotted a balls up along the way, but they should have been honest with the affected students and offered additional support to them to minimise any adverse affects on their grades.

dontquotem3 Mon 08-Jun-15 11:58:13

I have no idea of the reason why. This is not the first there has been problems with the department that has affected the students. My question is can they do this?
Should I raise holy hell? I'm so mad for my DD

DoJo Mon 08-Jun-15 12:00:12

It might be worth speaking to the school exams officer to see what the situation is. If the fault lies with the school, then they can ask for consideration for that to be taken into account when the exams are marked. I think you need to find out exactly what is going on first and why.

Moreisnnogedag Mon 08-Jun-15 12:07:20

I'd be ringing up to find out exactly what's going on. If it's their cocky up, they be liaising with the exam board about it.

ChampagneBabyCakes Mon 08-Jun-15 12:18:21

I'd be phoning the school immediately, and I would consider contacting the exam board if I didn't feel my concern was being taken seriously enough.

However, if its GCSE, your daughter has had 2 years to prepare and shouldn't be too stressed by loosing three days.

ProudAS Mon 08-Jun-15 13:32:22

The students may have had 2 years to prepare but are likely to have planned around making finishing touches Wednesday evening.

fascicle Mon 08-Jun-15 13:41:32

Is the new deadline the end of the school day tomorrow? If so, can your daughter spend all day tomorrow on it? If the new deadline is inflexible, I'd expect the school to be as supportive as possible in offering time/resources for students to finish.

dontquotem3 Tue 09-Jun-15 01:09:49

No! They're are saying tomorrow morning. To top it of they didn't allow her to stay behind past 4pm Mon afternoon angry

dontquotem3 Tue 09-Jun-15 01:13:54

You are correct champagne, problem is DD had started over with coursework as the department made other changes throughout the last year and then lost students work! There has been a myriad of this crap going on, this is really the cherry!

CarriesBucketOfBlood Tue 09-Jun-15 03:56:42

If it is established that teachers are at fault, then please make a complaint. It may mean measures are put in place to stop this happening to the next year.

ChampagneBabyCakes Tue 09-Jun-15 05:07:44

How did they loose students work? Unless there was a fire or something in the school, then that is absolutely terrible.
Did you get a chance to speak to the school? What did they say?
I really hope your daughter doesn't want to do this subject again next year - sounds like this is a department to avoid.

Sconejamcream Tue 09-Jun-15 05:33:13

I would be contacting the exam boArd to get their view of how this has happened, don't just be fobbed off by the school. I would complain big time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now