To think people should keep those bloody plastic skip things in their driveway

(10 Posts)
susanstryingterm Mon 08-Jun-15 10:28:58

For about the fourth time this year, a couple a few doors down have one of those big yellow plastic sack type things sitting in the middle of the pavement with rubbish spilling over the top of them. It looks awful and its sometimes weeks before they're collected.

AIBU to think people should keep them in their driveway and not out on the pavement where, apart from anything else, they make it very awkward for buggies and wheelchairs to get past?

gabsdot45 Mon 08-Jun-15 11:30:10

YANBU

0x530x610x750x630x79 Mon 08-Jun-15 11:31:29

what big yellow plastic sack things? who is meant to be collecting them? what are they filled with?

susanstryingterm Mon 08-Jun-15 11:39:58

I'm in Dublin, maybe you don't have them in the UK? They're skips but made of plastic so they look like huge bright yellow plastic bags sitting on the pavement spilling over with rubbish. They're usually hired and the company comes and collects them after a certain length of time, but often don't bother and the skip sits on the pavement for ages.

gabsdot45 Mon 08-Jun-15 11:41:33

LOL, I'm in Dublin too. I thin sometimes people buy them but don't realise that they have to pay to have them collected and it's not that cheap.

LurkingHusband Mon 08-Jun-15 11:41:47

Hippo Bags ? (Which are totally useless btw).

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Mon 08-Jun-15 11:43:25

Yep, they look like bargain in the DIY shop but then you look into it and they really aren't. Skips are actually dirt cheap.

susanstryingterm Mon 08-Jun-15 11:45:23

Yes, those things Lurking. If I left my bin bag siting on the pavement overflowing, I'm sure it wouldn't be considered acceptable. So why do people think it's okay to plonk one of these on the pavement and leave it there for days on end?

TheFlis12345 Mon 08-Jun-15 11:59:41

Report it to the council. They usually have a special department to deal with waste.

Perfectlypurple Mon 08-Jun-15 12:04:27

It may depend on the angle of the drive. When we looked into a skip it would have cost more to have it on the road but we would have had to because of how our drivers positioned so you couldn't get a skip on it due to the angle. I know the bags are a bit different but I expect it will make a difference when collecting a full bag if the collection lorry can get it off the drive or not.

We got one of the hippo bags from b and q and we use it to put in the cargo keep it clean when taking stuff to the tip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now