Talk

Advanced search

to be surprised a Soldier's wife is tried by Military Court Martial?

(17 Posts)
InstitutionCode Mon 08-Jun-15 09:47:24

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-33004121

The case itself sounds fairly clear cut and she got what she deserved, but am I the only one who was surprised that it was heard by a CM because she's married to a soldier?

alteredimages Mon 08-Jun-15 09:51:03

Yeah, I had no idea that spouses are tried by court martial. Not really sure what it means in terms of material difference, except that there is no jury. Anyone know?

crumblybiscuits Mon 08-Jun-15 09:53:05

I didn't know that you could be tried by them and my partner is in the army. I do think it sends a good, strong message though. I suppose as it reflects upon them they felt it needed to be dealt with 'in house' so to speak.

TheseSoles Mon 08-Jun-15 09:55:35

That's surprising! If it happened on base/military organised transport that might explain it?

Soduthen116 Mon 08-Jun-15 09:56:47

Well just glad this paedophile has been jailed and away from children for a while.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 08-Jun-15 10:00:37

I think it's probably to do with if you're married to a person in the military, then you become an appendage of him or her, a member of the 'military family' as it were. Therefore, by association you become a military representative. That's just my assumption, of course!

I'm sure someone better acquainted with these matters will be able to explain in due course (Eve or Fairy or someone)??

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Mon 08-Jun-15 10:04:31

It's because they were stationed overseas, in Germany. The garrison is subject to UK army law and not local German law.

crumblybiscuits Mon 08-Jun-15 10:05:42

I really didn't think that was how it worked. I've always been told we would always deal with the police in any kind of matter like that. If they were living on base and that was where the horrible assaults took place they may be more inclined to deal with it themselves but I am not 100%. I do know that if you have issues with non payment of child support etc you can appeal to the army to deal with it in house but obviously that's the solider, not the spouse.

alteredimages Mon 08-Jun-15 10:09:23

Ahh, thanks Winter, that makes sense.

IKnowIAmButWhatAreYou Mon 08-Jun-15 10:20:01

I was on guard duty once & had to assist the Military Police throw a drunken "Wife Of" into the cells one evening.

She'd got drunk & was flashing her tits & shouting abuse at the passing MP's from her balcony. grin

Seemed fair enough, she did it a few more times & her hubby ended up getting booted out of the army for it...

IKnowIAmButWhatAreYou Mon 08-Jun-15 10:20:46

This was in Germany too BTW.

InstitutionCode Mon 08-Jun-15 10:24:03

Ah, that makes much more sense - Military law on bases outside UK. Thank you.

DH was in the Army when we met but I (and he) I would never make a soldier's wife.

TheseSoles Mon 08-Jun-15 10:24:10

That makes sense Winter!

Is the no jury because the available pool of people would all likely know each other and might all be biased?

meditrina Mon 08-Jun-15 10:27:18

If it had taken place anywhere in UK, she would have been tried in the relevant civilian court. Dependants overseas are tried by Court Martial (can be handed to the civilian authorities in that country, if they have a parallel offence, depending on the Status of Forces Agreement for that location).

Her offending took place in Germany, and she was possibly employed by MOD at the time (as school bus supervisor) and MOD civilians also fall under the Court Martial system overseas.

meditrina Mon 08-Jun-15 10:32:35

They do have a jury, but it's called the Board, and has 7 members (can be fewer for lesser offences). I don't know why the different number (guess historic reasons) and it's made up of serving personnel if the person on trial is serving; by eligible civilians if other category.

alteredimages Mon 08-Jun-15 10:46:46

My bad on the no jury bit, I assumed wrongly that the board was composed of military judges. blush

Thanks for the explanation meditrina.

TheseSoles Mon 08-Jun-15 13:25:05

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now