Talk

Advanced search

...to be sick of my commute....?

(23 Posts)
selly24 Mon 08-Jun-15 08:37:35

Get up at 5.45am walk to station (15mins, brisk) travel to city centre, take 2 other forms of public transport and start work 8.45. 5 days a week. Cost over £150 a week. Possibility to do 3 days work (travel cost £129 weekly)
Take home salary 2.5k month for 5 days (3/5th of this obv for part time.

Am just exhausted and feel Life's too short.
Do enjoy my job for the most part, but three days income with the travel taken out I think will be left working for £5.50 an hr!??
Would be better off shelf stacking......
AIBU?

Delphine31 Mon 08-Jun-15 08:43:09

YANBU.

I recently went part time with my London job as a result of feeling how you do now.

Now commuting only two days a week and starting up some freelance pursuits for the other days.

Money's tight just now but not horrendous as a big chunk of my income was going on travel costs/hefty pension contribution/student loan/lunches; costs which have all reduced now I'm not going in so much.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 08-Jun-15 08:45:04

Could you learn to drive?

frangipani13 Mon 08-Jun-15 08:57:31

Is there something else you could do closer to home that you'd enjoy and you could manage financially on? My commute circumstances are similar and I've been questioning it every day for about 18 months-a year. I don't love my job but the salary is good and I probably couldn't earn the same closer to home. But I've realised my mental well being and general happiness are way more important so trying to figure out a plan b. Do what makes you happy.

InThisTogether Mon 08-Jun-15 09:15:03

life's too short OP, if you have other options, take them.
Good luck x

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Mon 08-Jun-15 09:21:11

I have a one hour commute plus extra time collecting children. I wonder if that's a waste of my time. In your case I'd definitely look for something nearer to home. What sort of work do you do?

YouMeddlingKids Mon 08-Jun-15 09:21:12

Three days a week with travel taken out would leave you approx £1000pm take home (don't forget that proportionately tax, NI, pension, etc etc goes down when your wage goes down), which is more like a tenner an hour for 22.5 hours a week (and thats net, not gross).
Give part time a go, the commute might not seem so bad when its only 3 days out of 7. Good luck!

Skiptonlass Mon 08-Jun-15 09:24:46

Any possibility of working from home even one day a week?

Commuting is exhausting. Ive had:

30 min bike ride- really nice way to bookend the day. Train a possibility if wet. No problem
A massive slog a toss the whole city by car, on roads that make the third world look good - horrible, drawing, aggressive drivers, roadworks, battling through snow. Utterly miserable.
A ten minute walk - bliss!

The time I worked near home I realised how much of my energy is been spending commenting and I've resolved that (if I can) I'll avoid it in future. Even if the job is ok!

londonrach Mon 08-Jun-15 09:27:13

Agree. Look around for a closer job. sadly thinkivebeen sometimes if in london it takes longer, is alot more stressful and costs more to drive. (Fuel and parking fees). The m25 is really just a big car park in the morning and dont get me on the a3 as i have spent 2 hours once waiting. The solution is to find a job closer to home with less travelling in time and money. (Hopes to do the same very soon...)

Shinyandnew1 Mon 08-Jun-15 09:28:33

That's a very long and very expensive commute for that salary. Dsis has similar wages but her commute is shorter and only costs about £350 a month.

Can you look for something closer? Failing that-definitely try part time to get some work-life balance back.

viva100 Mon 08-Jun-15 09:29:48

YANBU that commute sounds like a nightmare

Dowser Mon 08-Jun-15 09:35:30

What time do you leave for week and what time do you arrive home?

Dowser Mon 08-Jun-15 09:35:54

Work

BikeRunSki Mon 08-Jun-15 09:45:46

YANBU

I left a job because of a 1.5 Hr commute each way, bus then train. Except the bus only went once an hour and my line manger wouldn't let me finish 20 mins early to get the train that would get the bus to get get me home for 6; even though the train/bus times got me to work 25 mins early. Grrrrr.

I left (11 years ago) for a job with flexi time and a car park. We no longer have a car park, but the flexi means I can manage out the worst of the traffic.

TiggieBoo Mon 08-Jun-15 09:52:00

YANBU. We used to commute into London, decided to move there instead. Life is too short. Either find a job closer to home or move closer to your job.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 08-Jun-15 09:58:15

Working from home has changed mine and Dh's life and means when we do go into the office it's a pleasure for me and not a chore.

selly24 Mon 08-Jun-15 12:52:39

Hi! Thanks for the helpful responses. I always leave a 6.16am from home and get back mostly at 8.50pm!

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Mon 08-Jun-15 14:10:33

that day is WAY!! too long! i leave at 730 and get home about 630 and i think thats too long - but i love my job and car share and wfh at least one day a week

susanstryingterm Mon 08-Jun-15 14:20:17

YANBU. That commute sounds absolutely soul destroying and leaves you with no proper downtime or time to pursue outside interests during the week. I would definitely be looking for a job closer to home or trying to negotiate to work from home a couple of days a week.

babybat Mon 08-Jun-15 14:24:17

Could you get a folding bike so that you could replace the walk to the station and the bus at the other end with a short bike ride? Or just a cheap secondhand bike that you can leave locked up at your destination station to cut out the bus?

RedKite1985 Mon 08-Jun-15 17:05:10

I thought my day was long! Leave the house at 7.50am and get home at 7pm. I only get mimimum wage too.

I am currently learning to drive, praise be!

Fluffcake Mon 08-Jun-15 18:00:05

Could you work from home one day a week?
I used to commute to London (15 years) but after second DC, I just couldn't stand it. Work was OK but the actual train journey was driving me mad. Fortunately, I got made redundant. I now earn a lot less money but 10 minute commute, no childcare costs and no fancy suits and rail costs. Sometimes you have to step back to move forwards.

selly24 Mon 08-Jun-15 21:57:42

Thanks again and well said fluffcake Step back to move forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now