Talk

Advanced search

To watch Don't tell the Bride (muscle beach episode)

(48 Posts)
Amber76 Sun 07-Jun-15 22:21:41

I saw the episode where the groom organised wedding at muscle beach in LA today.

I found myself really disgusted at him and the whole production of it really. At disgusted at myself for watching it to the end.

He was incredibly selfish - the wedding was all about him with no regard for what she would like. He spent a fortune on flights and for what? So he could honour his uncles memory? That could have been done with a photograph, special candle or whatever at the wedding.

She seemed like a lovely girl who just wanted a simple wedding. I honestly found myself really hoping she wouldn't go through with it. Her father couldn't walk her down the aisle, her sisters couldn't be there.
Her family were all so upset and sad about the whole thing - what happens when the cameras are turned off? It seems so wrong to 'enjoy watching' something awful happen to someone else. I took it off the series link but I wish I hadn't watched that episode in the first place!

Quasicrystals1456 Sun 07-Jun-15 22:22:52

I know. I saw it earlier in the week. It was everything she didn't want.

I felt so sorry for the guests who couldn't afford it.

Disgusting.

teeththief Sun 07-Jun-15 22:34:50

I didn't see what happened to his uncle but saw the bit where he said it was in memory of him. It was just a bit crap arranging their wedding around a dead uncle when it meant none of her living relatives could be there. I felt sorry for the step dad who cried when she asked if he would give her away and then couldn't afford to go.

WhetherOrNot Sun 07-Jun-15 22:45:25

I was really really willing her to not get on the plane. And was very disappointed when she did - couldn't believe it.

lastqueenofscotland Sun 07-Jun-15 23:04:25

I am a big DTTB fan, but the some of the men are awful, there was one where the best man got a suit that cost more than the dress, the one where he makes the wedding a metal concert... urg... men-children.

Some of them are great and its obvious they know the bride better than the bride knows herself, and those i find really heart warming. Some of them make me fume!!

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 08-Jun-15 08:55:36

Yanbu. I would be really interested to see how many of them divorce.

Mulligrubs Mon 08-Jun-15 09:03:15

The majority of the men on it are unbelievably selfish. My DP secretly loves DTTB and watches it with me grin most of the time he mentions how awful the groom is. They'll spend thousands on a stag do abroad then send their wife to be to the bingo for her hen do, it is so humiliating.

The episode you're talking about OP is bad, why would you arrange your wedding around a dead relative when the whole thing is the opposite to what your partner wants?

MsPerfect Mon 08-Jun-15 09:07:46

I reckon they are under contract to get married. It would explain why the bride goes ahead even when the groom has behaved like a child.

I also know of someone who was on dttb. Having known her and what she would have wanted at her wedding, I can tell you the whole "bride and groom want opposite weddings" thing is put on (well at least it was obviously for her). The wedding she got in the end was what she always used to tell me she wanted, whereas all the crap she came out with during the show about which church and dress were her dream ones, weren't like anything she ever mentioned to me.

DowntownFunk Mon 08-Jun-15 09:36:50

They can't be under contract to go through with the wedding because forced marriage is illegal.

Hoppinggreen Mon 08-Jun-15 10:19:25

I've only seen a couple of episodes of this and I was absolutely horrified at the selfish arsehole of a Groom.
I felt so sorry for her when she thought that her family were joking at first when they met at the hotel before she flew out and that the rest of her family were going to jump out and surprise her.
There would have been money there for the family to fly out if arsehole and his 2 mates hadn't wasted so much on the recon trip.

squoosh Mon 08-Jun-15 11:09:13

The muscle beach wedding was so grim. An Asda carpark would have more soul than that ugly concrete place. The other one that sticks in my head are the couple who got married underwater in a council swimming pool!

I would love if they did an update on who was still married and who'd split.

Redglitter Mon 08-Jun-15 11:15:17

They can't possibly be forced to marry. Anyway from the producers pov wouldn't they love it if a wedding was called off. I'm sure that's the ultimate goal with this show. I'd make the brides honour the part of the contract where they have to wear his choice of dress they allow too many to swap. That's not what the shows about

Snoozybird Mon 08-Jun-15 11:26:56

This was like the Las Vegas episode a couple of years back when the groom basically had an extended piss-up with his mates leaving no money for the bride's family to come and see her get married.

sqoosh they did a top ten moments last year I think with some updates, IIRC the couple who got married Peter & Jordan style complete with the same glass coach & horse split up within a few months.

Fauxlivia Mon 08-Jun-15 11:35:00

I think if they don't get married the 12k has to be returned, which they clearly won't have by that point. So not forced to get wed but who's going to back out and be left in debt?

I was sad for that muscle beach bride. Great to honour a missed relative but more important to remember that he's actually marrying the bride and not his uncle! That whole day had nothing of her in it.

FeelingSmurfy Mon 08-Jun-15 11:45:58

That episode winds me up so much! All organised in memory of a dead uncle when her alive family didn't even get to go, including step-dad who she had emotionally asked to walk her down the isle!

Second most annoying one is one a PP mentioned where the best man forced him to spend more on buying him a suit than RENTING her a wedding dress! Plus loads of money for stag that the groom ended up leaving really early because it wasn't his sort of thing!

They can't force them to get married but they would have to pay back to the money. Oh and I have also heard that they are given 3 venues and only allowed to pick from them and stuff like that from people who were on the programme

expatinscotland Mon 08-Jun-15 11:51:45

The Irish grooms are much better.

The Vegas one was horrible. So was the twat who wanted them, and spend a huge amount of the the budget on, to get married in a fucking plane in boiler suits and then jump out even though he knew the bride was afraid of heights and wanted her mum there as she was an only child raised by a single parent.

She refused.

Aeroflotgirl Mon 08-Jun-15 11:53:46

I know, a lot of these grooms are absolutely selfish and self centred, don't they talk to their fiancé, surly you know what your other half would like or not like. There was one who organised the wedding in Ayia Nappa, had the reception in this awful cafe. Total opposite of what the woman wanted.

DowntownFunk Mon 08-Jun-15 12:22:45

The sensitive, thoughtful grooms get on my nelly almost as much as the selfish arses.

DowntownFunk Mon 08-Jun-15 12:24:01

I think if they don't get married the 12k has to be returned

I doubt it.

Maybe one of the MNers who have been on the show (there are at least two) can confirm or deny?

pettywitchinlondon Mon 08-Jun-15 12:28:58

Did it have lots of fit guys in speedos? Else I won't watch it

squoosh Mon 08-Jun-15 12:29:13

A MNer who appeared on the show said you are bound by your application form to a large degree. If your application has said you'll do crazy antics x, y and z the producers will not let you change your mind and go for a nice quite country wedding instead.

Contestants must have to sign a host of legal docs before filming. I wouldn't be at all surprised if 'failure to marry' makes the whole thing null and void and requires the 12K to be repaid.

TiltedPenguin Mon 08-Jun-15 12:29:49

I know someone who worked on the programme. They do actively choose grooms who are single minded and have odd ideas, 'normal' couples are not interesting enough. If you tell them you want a scuba/sky diving/treetop wedding to get on the show, then try to plan something more traditional, they don't force you to get married, but they do cancel filming - you are committed to what you stated in your application/interview. The grooms choose everything from a list selected for them - they are only shown a choice of 3 dresses or venues, for example. They do actively seek conflict between the groom and bridesmaids/families too - almost everyone, family, friends, the bridesmaids etc are interviewed, so producers have a good idea of what will irritate them!

DowntownFunk Mon 08-Jun-15 12:47:14

I wouldn't be at all surprised if 'failure to marry' makes the whole thing null and void and requires the 12K to be repaid.

The producers of the show would be skating on very thin ice legally if this was the case.

CornChips Mon 08-Jun-15 12:49:17

Just watching it now..... Liked his choice of dress! Gorgeous. Not my style, but very pretty.

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Mon 08-Jun-15 12:52:30

I wouldn't be at all surprised if 'failure to marry' makes the whole thing null and void and requires the 12K to be repaid.

The producers of the show would be skating on very thin ice legally if this was the case.

Why do you think that? If the deal is you have to go through with the wedding, or you have not fulfilled your part of the contract.... therefore have to pay the £££ back - i guess its to flush out the 'lets have a party ' brigade? and if she doesnt get married, then shes not a bride! (or is she? are you bride if you get jilted, i spose you are)
But dont they realise that we want to see the "Sod this, i'm not marrying you, you stupid twat"

has there ever been a 'non-wedding'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now