Talk

Advanced search

To think thank God we are finally doing something about mass immigration

(120 Posts)
Ubik1 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:42:22

By helping these people here

The Royal Navy expects to have saved more than 1,000 migrants by the end of today - in their biggest rescue operation in the Mediterranean so far.

Pregnant women - including one in labour - and young children and among the 700 desperate people already picked up by HMS Bulwark around 27 miles from the coast of Libya in the busiest day of operations in the Mediterranean.

Efforts are continuing near the war-torn country with those already on board having traveled for around 10 hours in four overcrowded rubber and wooden boats.

Thank God they are rescuing these poor people. I hope Europe gets organised to receive these people from the boats and helps the migrants washing up in Greece.

Soduthen116 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:43:44

Yanbu.

OrlandoWoolf Sun 07-Jun-15 20:47:14

Next step:

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mediterranean-migrant-crisis-millions-of-pounds-of-uk-aid-funding-could-be-diverted-to-stop-flow-of-people-from-libya-10303501.html

Divert aid funding to stop people coming over confused

I think we need to identify the issues why people come here. Make the perilous journey, dealing with all kind of trafficking issues.

Fleeing countries with poor human rights issues.
Where corruption is endemic
Where people have little chance
Little chance of a job or a future.

These are the hard questions. What role do the rich countries in tackling the source of the issues?

Tackling the people in the Med is merely tackling the symptoms. It's the cause that needs to be looked at.

OrlandoWoolf Sun 07-Jun-15 20:51:43

An interesting article about why a person would flee the home and country they love.

www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/apr/21/escaping-eritrea-migrant-if-i-die-at-sea-at-least-i-wont-be-tortured

Psipssina Sun 07-Jun-15 20:55:35

Where can we put them all? I feel like putting a tent up in the garden tbh.

It's dreadfully sad.

Ubik1 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:57:12

I think they are trying to tackle the causes in Libya - but mNy coming from Syria through Turkey to Greece. Sleeping on the streets in in the islands. And the Greeks are skint sad

It's heartbreaking that those women must know the risks and they still take their children which shows how desperate they are. Or perhaps they hAve no choice.

Soduthen116 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:57:54

And can you imagine how anyone can't feel the utmost sympathy and anguish for them. Katie Hopkins!!!

Ubik1 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:58:35

We take far fewer immigrants than many developing countries.

Anyway - good for the Royal Navy.

Ubik1 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:59:13

I'd stick KH on a boat tomorrow

Psipssina Sun 07-Jun-15 20:59:42

I think it's all we can do. I would like to have all of them here if it were possible.

Poor poor things.

FenellaFellorick Sun 07-Jun-15 20:59:45

a leaky one

Soduthen116 Sun 07-Jun-15 21:03:10

God yes me too. Hateful woman.

OrlandoWoolf Sun 07-Jun-15 21:04:16

This infographic is interesting

Purple - where people flee from
Orange - where refugees are.

SaucyJack Sun 07-Jun-15 21:06:38

I think it's fairly obvious why people are fleeing from places like Syria or Libya meself.

Question is- what to do. Answer- I dunno.

OrlandoWoolf Sun 07-Jun-15 21:06:47

Top 3 countries people flee from:

Afghanistan
Iraq
Somalia

I wonder what links the top 3 countries on the list?

Atenco Sun 07-Jun-15 21:13:12

The sad thing is that while Africans are having to risk their lives crossing the seas to be able to earn a living wage, Africa is the richest continent in the world in terms of natural resources, but of course, very few Africans are getting benefit from them.

PeppermintCrayon Sun 07-Jun-15 21:15:00

Yanbu. But the pseudo-goady thread title is a bit U.

NinkyNonkers Sun 07-Jun-15 21:17:51

YANBU. The whole scenario makes me so sad and angry. But until we address the fundamental inequality that has led to this it will continue!

BMW6 Sun 07-Jun-15 21:20:12

This is just the trickle before the flood IMHO. God knows what it will be like in a couple of years from now. I totally understand their desperation in fleeing to Europe, but no-one can "fix" their own countries but themselves.

Do we have sufficient housing for the current population? Is our infrastructure coping with the numbers living here now?........

How many would you be willing to take into your own home? Look at parts of Greece now - there are hundreds sleeping rough in small areas.

This is going to get an awful lot worse.

Ubik1 Sun 07-Jun-15 21:22:26

That infographic is interesting - Syria and Iran taking so many refugees fleeing Iraq and Afghanistan.

OrlandoWoolf Sun 07-Jun-15 21:24:05

Most refugees stay very very close to their home country.

Can you imagine having to flee your country? Leave everything behind.
The source needs to tackled. But how?

TheOddity Sun 07-Jun-15 21:25:09

I'm a bit hmm that they help to rescue on the condition they can drop them off in Italy or Greece or anywhere but the UK. That is a cop out. Like leaving a half drowned kitten outside your neighbours' house.

Ubik1 Sun 07-Jun-15 21:26:34

I don't think it's a 'floodgates' scenario - most people flee to the nearest 'safe' country and are desperate to return.

But I do think that the world is changing and we can't expect to continue living in the same way, we don't get a free pass while the rest of the world is in turmoil.

Ubik1 Sun 07-Jun-15 21:29:32

I think the UN are trying to intervene in Libya.

here

But who knows how effective that will be.

Psipssina Sun 07-Jun-15 21:29:48

Once we address the inequality in our own system - the very privileged versus the very poor - then we will be in a better position to see what we have to offer.

There are people who own countless houses, and let them out - who have vast amounts of money, while others live in overcrowded housing and have no money to spare.

I think our own society needs to be dealt with. I can't see our infrastructure coping terribly well with huge numbers of people needing healthcare and assistance, at present. Perhaps when those on top of the pile, with money/property to spare, reconsider what they actually need, we will be going in the right direction.

It's a vast issue though. How do you set the bar, what is sufficient, what is excess? Who decides?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now