Talk

Advanced search

To think if you need care in your own home

(15 Posts)
Soyalatte2 Sun 07-Jun-15 09:09:18

The people providing that shouldn't stink?name changed here but I need personal care From carers.

The ones who came in this morning smelled awful and it's not right.

Or AIBU and should put up with it for half an hour?

LaurieFairyCake Sun 07-Jun-15 09:14:32

Do you mean cigarette smoke?

Yes, it's horrible. But apart from
asking them to wash their hands, eat a mint there's not very much you can do.

Could you request non smoking carers?

If it's BO then you could raise it with your social worker or the company providing care?

Soduthen116 Sun 07-Jun-15 09:15:09

Smelled of what?

Soyalatte2 Sun 07-Jun-15 09:15:20

One was smoke one was garlic or something.

Soduthen116 Sun 07-Jun-15 09:27:42

Oh dear it's horrible but difficult as no laws or regs are being broken here. You might be able to request a non smoker, not sure, but you certainly can't dictate what they eat.

monkeysox Sun 07-Jun-15 09:28:17

Anyone working closely with others should not smell flowers

QuiteLikely5 Sun 07-Jun-15 09:45:28

I think you are being unreasonable.

No you cannot expect someone to ensure they don't smell of garlic. I'm sure it wasn't on purpose.

ApeMan Sun 07-Jun-15 10:04:11

Once in a while everyone smells of their food (and if they smoke, their fags). As long as it isn't regular YABABU

If they regularly smell unpleasant YADNBU

ohtheholidays Sun 07-Jun-15 10:09:45

YANBU at all.My husband is my carer luckily so I don't have the same problem.

But no they shouldn't smell bad,weather it's cigarette smoke,bad body odour or a strong food smell.

I've known a few people that have been carers,one of them being my MIl and all of them managed to do they're job without smelling of anything someone else might find offensive.

Birdsgottafly Sun 07-Jun-15 11:13:06

All companies have a minimum set of Personal Hygiene policies.

This should (by law) include "Safe" smoking practices, so a Carer shouldn't smell of smoke, food is a bit more tricky and cant be insisted on because there is no Health risk, so it could be deemed as "indirect discrimination".

From my experience, many Carers that cover weekends, are called into place last minute, so it may be a genuine lapse, but if it happens again, you can report the Smoke smell.

SurlyCue Sun 07-Jun-15 11:15:37

No you cannot expect someone to ensure they don't smell of garlic.

In her own home she can have whatever expectations she likes!

PtolemysNeedle Sun 07-Jun-15 11:25:31

It's a difficult one. It's not much for you to expect no, but then at the same time, we can't expect carers who smoke or who fancy a bit if garlic bread not to indulge in those things during time that they aren't being paid for. Even the time that they are paid for they get a pittance, and there's only so much you can expect from people who are being paid so little.

spicyfajitas Sun 07-Jun-15 11:33:25

They could smell of smoke because they've just come from caring for someone in a really smoky home.
My health visitor once tuned up to visit my newborn while stinking of smoke. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt and hoping it's because she'd just carried out a really smoky home visit.

shrunkenhead Sun 07-Jun-15 11:40:26

There's no excuse for smelling anything less than fragrant unless you're in the gym/running a marathon/digging the garden etc which presumably you'd shower ASAP prior to your shift! And if they've just eaten chew gum/duck a mint. As for smoking well it does smell and I guess unavoidable but as others have said I'd see about changing to a non smoker.

shrunkenhead Sun 07-Jun-15 11:41:21

Suck a mint even!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now