Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you would do?

(12 Posts)
sherbetlemonD Sat 06-Jun-15 22:54:15

So I may have the chance of a job soonish. 2 days a week doing a job I know I will love. But it won't give me enough money to do with what I want to do with the rest of my life. I've worked for it for a long time and i'm pretty sure it will open doors for me for a future career.

I do want other things out of my life though- and it will be pretty badly paid and it won't be full time.

So what would you all do- work part time, accept that you may not have the money to travel, move out etc for a few years or look for full time work that you may not enjoy, may not get this chance again but have more money to enable you to do other things you will enjoy?

thetroubleis Sat 06-Jun-15 22:56:46

Take the job. The connections and friends you make could be invaluable. Just accept you'll be living more frugally in the meantime.

irretating Sat 06-Jun-15 22:58:06

If the part-time job was a way of getting me on to my chosen career path, I'd take the financial hit and go for it. If not, I'd look for better paid work.

Supersoft Sat 06-Jun-15 22:58:49

Depends how old you are, where your living, if you have kids, a partner etc

sherbetlemonD Sat 06-Jun-15 23:01:54

Single no kids and early 20s. Home life here isn't fantastic and should probably move out sooner rather than later but I know this job is right for me.

ollieplimsoles Sat 06-Jun-15 23:09:10

Op, from personal experience I would take the job.

I lived at home with parents til I was almost 25. The part time job I had enabled me to get my dream job later on, the pay wasn't great but it opened so many doors for me.

My little sister got a full time job in a call centre that was well paid and moved out well before me, I was envious of the freedom and money she had, but still kept at the part time job, saved what I could and lived with parents.

I am SO happy I stuck at the opportunity job now. There is no rush for you to move out just because you think you should. You have plenty of time, work on building your dream career!

griselda101 Sat 06-Jun-15 23:12:11

take the job!! and use the rest of the time to do something self employed in the same field, or find a second job for one or two days a week?

set up a fun new business, start a blog, do some consultancy in your chosen field, or just do a boring and easy job a couple of days a week on top.

Fluffcake Sat 06-Jun-15 23:12:40

Take the job. As it is part time, you can continue to look for full time work or get another second part time job to top up your income.

griselda101 Sat 06-Jun-15 23:14:06

in fact once you start you might find you can take on other responsibilities within the same company and extra work / days might come up.

but definitely take it and use your free time really well to pursue your interests in a creative way.

Supersoft Sat 06-Jun-15 23:14:22

Take the job then if you think it has Career prospects. You can always do other part time work to top up your income. Your life is only just beginning, there's plenty of time to do all the other things you want to do with you life as long as you don't get pregnant

catzpyjamas Sat 06-Jun-15 23:14:54

Yay, that's great news!Take the job!!
And please, please find a way out of that house very soon!

sherbetlemonD Sat 06-Jun-15 23:30:55

No chance of that Super, no boyfriend and not interested at the moment either. Think I know what I need to do. Thanks all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now