Talk

Advanced search

fuming for being sent a bill for an imaginary speeding ticket

(63 Posts)
pettywitchinlondon Sat 06-Jun-15 20:27:02

Renewed my insurance last month. When doing the quotes I did one for a made up 3 points for speeding just to see how much it would affect it. Obviously didn't buy this one. Finally bought one and clicked all the boxes to say everything is true.

Today I receive a bill for 80 pounds because the car insurance people have found another quote where I had a speeding fine, so they've assumed the policy I bought is incorrect so without even asking me or the dvla have adjusted it and sent me a letter to say they will be taking this extra money from my card!

Seriously what are they on? I will have to call an expensive number mon-fri probably wage loads of money and time to fix this ridiculous assumption they've made!

Pensfriends Sat 06-Jun-15 20:29:43

Why would they look up your other quote? Just call them and correct them. It's surely not a big deal as you haven't actually got a ticket.

ASorcererIsAWizardSquared Sat 06-Jun-15 20:31:18

Why would you do a fake quote for a speeding fine you don't have?

grabaspoon Sat 06-Jun-15 20:32:26

As sorcerer said - why?

steff13 Sat 06-Jun-15 20:32:48

Certainly they would have pulled your driving record before they sold you the policy, wouldn't they? If the points are not on your license, they're not on your license.

lomega Sat 06-Jun-15 20:32:54

Sounds a bit iffy to me. I'd just phone them and tell them they're wrong, and to check with the police/DVLA if they want proof. Threaten to leave if they take the extra money.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 06-Jun-15 20:33:16

They'll take it off straight away.

I had similar. I put the wrong year for an accident in my quote. Took the insurance out and then they wrote me a letter saying they were adding another £30 to my bill as they'd found another accident I hadn't declared.

I rang them up and explained it was the same accident and they removed the money.

pettywitchinlondon Sat 06-Jun-15 20:33:21

Well depends if they have started to take the money. These things are never easy to fix, I spent months chasing for 160 a gas company owed me

pettywitchinlondon Sat 06-Jun-15 20:35:33

They haven't pulled my driving record. They clearly say they are adding this due to another quote, not my driving record . just seems such a stupid thing for them to assume.

PippiLicious Sat 06-Jun-15 20:36:09

I'm confused.

You made up a speeding fine as part of your application for house insurance? That is bizarre.

Why would you do that?

Insurers share info so they've handed the info over and you're going to have to prove a negative (ie that you don't have a speeding fine) which is very difficult.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sat 06-Jun-15 20:38:03

YABU. You have requested 2 quotes and given false information on one of them. They're going to quote on the one that presents the higher risk. They're also going to note your MIB file as having submitted incorrect details, which will make underwriters more cautious.

Obviously this will go away once you've given them the authority to check DVSA.

In the meantime, you've had a sharp lesson in not messing with Big Data.

SoupDragon Sat 06-Jun-15 20:38:32

Why have you assumed it's house insurance?! It's obviously car insurance!

ilovesooty Sat 06-Jun-15 20:39:14

So if you don't have 3 points why do the other quote?
Have you been caught speeding and were you trying to decide whether to take the speeding course option?
It's the only reason I can think of for such strange behaviour.

londonrach Sat 06-Jun-15 20:40:07

Dont understand why you lied on a quote anyway. Yabu on that point. As for the extra £80 phone and correct thm x

missingmumxox Sat 06-Jun-15 20:42:09

This happened to me, in my case it was one of those clicky drop down boxes which I managed to misclick
Realised my mistake after the ridiculous quotes I got and going through the form, worst thing was it was for a car I was thinking of buying and subsequently didn't but my insurance company sent out an adjustment!
I rang the stupidly high rate number and got it sorted.

I actually felt it was against data protection because they used my information for another purpose, and I also felt it was a deliberate money making ploy as it was a high rate number I had to ring.

I feel your pain...

pettywitchinlondon Sat 06-Jun-15 20:43:21

Rach I didn't really lie, I was just curious to see how much 3 points would add to my licence - so I could if I ever got one make an informed choice on the course or not.

When doing the quote I didn't agree to a declaration saying everything is true for any of the quotes other than the one I bought.

pettywitchinlondon Sat 06-Jun-15 20:44:57

Thanks miss,that's exactly it!

I've done quotes before for cars I was thinking about buying too. No way should this stuff be held on record as a money making ploy!

imisstaxdiscs Sat 06-Jun-15 20:45:34

Are all you "how could you be so silly as to lie on a quote, why on earth would you do that" people honestly saying you've never played with the parameters on a form or a questionnaire to see how it affects the outcome? I've told the NHS BMI calculator that I'm an inch taller or 5 stone heavier than I am just to see how it affects the results. Hope my GP doesn't get wind. Perhaps OP wanted to choose an insurance company knowing how much her premiums are likely to go up with that company if she gets points.

CrapBag Sat 06-Jun-15 20:45:47

What an odd thing going to do, check insurance with points on when you don't have any confused.

Anyway, like others have said, they've obviously got hold of the quote and they think you have lied for their quote so have billed you accordingly.

Next time don't get false quotes.

trixymalixy Sat 06-Jun-15 20:46:01

Just phone them and say you selected the box by mistake.

PippiLicious Sat 06-Jun-15 20:47:08

Car insurance/house insurance.

Telling a lie on an insurance application form is a pretty stupid thing to do.

They all share info.

Good luck sorting it out OP.

You might need to get a letter from DVLA confirming that your license is clean although you'll need to explain why you did what you did.

pettywitchinlondon Sat 06-Jun-15 20:47:09

Are all you "how could you be so silly as to lie on a quote, why on earth would you do that" people honestly saying you've never played with the parameters on a form or a questionnaire to see how it affects the outcome?

Apparently so hmm

PrimalLass Sat 06-Jun-15 20:50:53

VivaLeBeaver - that happened to me too. I had to send them documentation from my previous insurer to show the actual date of the accident.

LadyTmalia Sat 06-Jun-15 20:59:41

you'll need to explain why you did what you did.
But why?

Im currently looking for pet insurance before I decide on getting a pet, I have put all sorts if possible parameters into the form to see if I can AFFORD the insurance in all possible circumstances.

When I do get my pet, will I have to phone someone up and say "I lied on a quote please dont charge me extra" ?

Isnt this against data protection?

Like a previous poster has said, am I not "allowed" to put in details of another car I may buy, just in case I am accused of lying.

MUST I ACCPET SOMETHING THE FIRST TIME I DO IT AND NOT QUESTION IT?

Sounds bloody daft to me.

MakeItRain Sat 06-Jun-15 21:01:06

I think it's odd to find changing the form strange too! I did it for a house insurance quote, saying I lived near a river to see what would happen. I can't remember giving my name on it though. It seems ridiculous that info on another quote can be used. That means anyone with a grudge against you could fill out a load of fake quotes without actually buying any and get charges put on your current bills shock
OP I would just write and say you have no points and ask for your money back. Then cancel as soon as you're able. I wouldn't want them as my insurer any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now