Talk

Advanced search

to think MNHQ shoudl make a 'MN terms' section

(12 Posts)
00100001 Sat 06-Jun-15 20:15:15

like they have for Acronymns and FAQs

but this would be for all the 'in joke' and local stuff that only appears on MN. Stuff the makes newbies or the uninitiated got wtf hmm

For example:

Wendied

AIBU?
Also what else would you put on there?

PattiODoors Sat 06-Jun-15 21:49:36

FarFromAnyRoad Sat 06-Jun-15 22:01:29

YABU. You could just ask what's being referred to. In the case of 'wendied' I have seen the question asked and answered more than once.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 06-Jun-15 22:05:42

Yanbu

Wendy is a cosy MN term.

I'm a bit confused now with reality and MN, the things I think are MN but aren't possibly are :- naice, blardy..lots more I'll remember I'm sure.

bittapitta Sat 06-Jun-15 22:07:14

This is a taat from this evening and on that thread, the term Wendy is explained by other posters a few times.

MammaTJ Sat 06-Jun-15 22:09:13

YANBU, although I understand most of them, so am not invested in this much!

chandelierswinger Sat 06-Jun-15 22:10:03

I do an advanced search to look up terms that come up... I've learnt a lot, quickly.

usualsuspect333 Sat 06-Jun-15 22:11:31

The trolls would love it.

SaulGood Sat 06-Jun-15 22:12:39

The thing is, those shared jokes make us a community and you become part of it by joining in and asking. Then you tentatively use them yourself. Eventually you're using them in normal conversation and people look at you funny.

When I joined people used to use 4 and parp a lot and I didn't know to what they were referring. Eleven years later (SIOBgrin), I sort of know what people are talking about.

usualsuspect333 Sat 06-Jun-15 22:17:51

It's better to get the feel of a forum and work out what that forums terms mean.

When I first joined posters used to use the word 'loofah' instead of spider.

I wanted to post 'spider' just to see what would happen.

FarFromAnyRoad Sat 06-Jun-15 22:19:42

See - I'll show you how it works (hopefully grin) because I have no idea what

means.

Someone?

SaulGood Sun 07-Jun-15 10:41:34

Welcome to Mumsnet. To register an opinion on this thread please choose one of the following options:

1: yes
2: no
3: I don't know
4: I don't give a tiny shit

But you just type 4. It's a distant cousin of the biscuit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now